“OUR FAMILY THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sugar Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Offers & Announcements
Summer 55% Off + $100 Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in East End
Willis, TX
“OUR FAMILY THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

Myself, 44, husband, 45, daughter,(13) and her friend(12) stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay June 25 thru July 2 and had an awesome stay. I didn't find anything wrong with the resort! I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Our room was clean and fresh, no bugs, clean sheets, beautiful view. Could even see the wedding balcony from our room so we saw a few weddings. I thought the beach was beautiful. It was small, but I'm not a jogger!! I laid in a lounger and soaked in the beauty. The snorkeling to the left of the hotel was good, saw a couple of lobster!! The food I thought was good. We only go to all inclusive resorts on our summer vacations so we've been to a few. This was the nicest one we've been to. Took a power boat to the British Virgin Islands, saw the baths and snorkeled the caves on Norman Island. Both were awesome! I loved St. Thomas and loved the Wyndham. Hope to go back someday, but I have to visit all the other islands in the caribbean first!!!

2,523 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the sugar bay resort at the end of june. For it being our first time at an all inclusive resort, I cannot yet compare this resort to others but I would say the grounds were beautiful. The pool was ok with nice waterfalls. The food was pretty good. We ate at the Manor House for the buffet breakfast most of the mornings. Lunch at the Mongrove was ok. Not too much of a selection although the cold pasta salad was good! The drinks were mediocre due to the daquiri machine not working at all times, a lot of the drinks were very watery. We stayed in a luxury room but after reading so many reviews, realized that there is not much of a difference between each level of the rooms except for the view. The stairs you'd have to take to come down to the pool are trecherous, there are about 100 steps to walk..not something you feel like doing after u've drank or when its midday and very hot! We went to the spa for a couples massage..we paid 180 dollars for a 50 minute couples massage NOT WORTH THE MONEY whats so ever!!.. it felt like it was a 20 minute massage if that. It was definitely a relaxing trip to say the least. I would definitely recommend going out for dinners at night especially to Whale of a Tail.. the seafood was wonderful. If you want to have a really good italian dinner, try Tuscany which is in the resort. It wound up costing 37 dollars for us to have a full course meal and the drinks are included. If you don't want to have to take a guided tour to go jet skiing, take a cab over to Coci Beach..you can rent the jet skiis for an hour and its 90 dollars for 2 people. We stayed at the beach most of the time. Some words of advice would be to wear water shoes bc there are a lot of rocks that will hurt your feet and also buy the dog milk bones at the watersports center near the pool. They are 1.50 each and you can feed the fish. Overall, I'd probably try a different resort next time around but overall this resort was worth the money.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

My wife and I stayed here abo ut a year and a half ago and found that it suited our needs quite well, but it may not do the same for you. We went in initially knowing that St. John is where we wanted to spend our time, as it is inarguably much more beautiful, but we could only afford a St. Thomas budget. We booked the Wyndham after being offered a package deal too good to pass up. All we wanted was an inexpensive place close to the ferry with a nice view and acceptable rooms to hang our hats at while we went off galavanting about St. John. We got that and more.

On check-in we were upgraded to a sea-view room. This is by far the greatest feature of this hotel. The view looking out at St. John and the other islands is just stunning. I found myself awakening before sunrise (I never would have thought it possible, as I sleep the sleep of the dead, especially on vacation) to take photos of the panoramic vista with the sun creeping up out of the ocean, bathing the islands in magical light.

As for the property itself. It is a standard hotel, with rooms that passed muster for us: Not threadbare, not ultra-luxe, but clean and comfortable. When we were there, there were elevators broken down which was fine, we used the stairs. The staff was nice, but service was not stellar or instant. Patience is a good commodity to have around here. Also, a lot of people here seemed to be on their all-inclusive plan: Big mistake! The only food we tried was a burger and a chicken sandwich when we got there that were extremely run-of-the-mill. In addition, we checked out their pool and beach area and were less than impressed, experiencing the overwhelming odor problems some other reviewers have referenced. Quite simply, if you do their all-inclusive plan, you are stuck here for the majority of your vacation, and it is not a great place to be stuck!

But for us it was nearly perfect in that it was cheap, convenient and had a stunning view. We got a bit of a workout walking up and down the hill to get to our car in the parking lot when we didn't want to wait for the shuttle. But that's the price you pay for a stellar view. Go into it knowing what to expect. If you're looking for a resort, try the Ritz-Carlton, or something on St. John if you can afford it. They will offer a much better overall resort experience. If you're looking for somewhere to hang your hat while you bounce around the islands in your rented jeep, I can think of a lot worse places to stay. Just go out to eat and play.

• Stayed November 2003
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

Good points: The room was nothing special, but clean and comfortable, and we had a wonderful Caribbean view. Now for the bad: Unfriendly, unresponsive staff- my safe was broken and no one ever came to fix it, service at breakfast was not great; bad food; and you can't swim at the beach- too rocky and too many sea urchins.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

First of all Ive never written on trip advisor Im pretty busy with work and usually dont take time to write but I have to now.
St. Thomas is beautiful and if you are looking for a relaxing vacation where you can sip drinks at the bar and watch the ocean or float around in the pool STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.. the pool was crowded and noisy with people playing basketball and volleyball all the time, nachos everywhere, there was a sewage odor at the restaurant/bar area and the food at this resort was bad, bad, bad. There was no cuisine here this was just crap some people that worked there were really nice but there was really no good service here. They need new management. Wine at dinner in a plastic glass. I couldve had better food at a taco bell. They put a lot of booze in the drinks that was the only good thing I guess if your liquered up you won't complain. All I could think was what a LOW CLASS place this was. And for what I paid I could've stayed at the Ritz Carlton or even a condo wouldve been better on St Thomas. I dont usually write reviews but I am compelled to after just getting home last night. Im one to try to make the best of things and dont need extremely fancy places. And I could not find anything good to say about this "resort". If you are already booked and you want to salvage your trip plan to make trips outside of the resort like Magens Bay, St John, best dining was Agave Terrace. We had a good time outside of the resort.
In summary- don't go to this place it is a waste of your hard earned money!! Dont let your travel agent or anyone else tell you any different.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort & Spa from 6/21-6/27/05. We had asked for two rooms and we were told that when we checked in,we would be able to upgrade to a suite or another room,well later that day-we were unable to do either. We were told that the hotel was overbooked by 11 reservations and that we would have to stay 4 in a room. The room that we had was really only meant for 2 maybe 3 ppl,it was pretty small in size. The young woman who was helping us at the front desk was very rude and uncaring. She acted as if she hated the fact that we were even there. Next-the maids only change your bed linens every third day-but they give u cards to lay on your pillow if u want them to change them daily-BUT keep in mind they will not.Even on the 4th day i had to remind the maid to please change the sheets and she didnt want to. the so-called "cleaning" is limited to sweeping the entrance to your room and bringing in 1 roll of toilet tissue and 3 towels (for FOUR women). When we asked the maid for an additional roll of toilet tissue and more towels she rudely stated that we needed to call housekeeping! (???) So i guess she didnt work for/or was apart of housekeeping...the 99 steps are a HUGE bother. The weather in St Thomas is extremely hot and walking down the steps arent a problem,its the going back up,however there is a shuttle that comes every 8-10 mins that will take you back up to the lobby. The resort itself doesnt have a good lay out-its very large and the taxi's drop you off @ the lobby and depending on where your room is-it could take u 5-10mins to walk back to your room. We didnt have a problem with the food..it wasnt the best nor was it the worst..there were some VERY nice people there Sam @ the Manor House, Lawson a bartender,Quincy and Jasper who is a mgr @ the Manor House. Although we were all inclusive they treated us very nicely and we still tipped them each & everytime. I wouldnt recommend staying @ this resort at all. The next time in St Thomas, We will be staying @ The Ritz-its beautiful!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

We enjoyed our first trip to the islands very much. The Wyndham was ok. As you may read in many other reviews, the staff was not great. It took us forever to get drinks from the bartenders and for waitstaff to wait on us at dinner. The beach is very small and rocky, also beware of MANY sea urchins. Do not swim without watershoes. We had an excellent room with a beautiful view. We had a couples massage which was fabulous! The spa staff is excellent and not like the rest of the hotel. Beautiful grounds. Overall we will not stay here again, but did not have a horrible time.

• Stayed May 2004

Been to Sugar Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!