“Very average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at Sugar Bay from May 25 to May 30th. Picked up a taxi at the airport. It's 11 per person but they charge 4 dollars for a regular sized suitcase. Took about 45 minutes to get to the resort and that was around 5 p.m. Check in was a breeze as we were the only people checking in which was 3 different rooms. We had a total of 15 people in our group. My niece emailed them prior to or arrival asking for renovated rooms. Which we all received, I was in 527 with a king bed with a view of the water. Very nice. The room has tile that looks like wood on the floors as well as on the walls in the bathroom. The shower was fine and had good pressure. Our air conditioner worked and the fan was a bit loud so we left that on low. Our fridge had 4 beers, some pop and 3 bottles of water when we checked in but never got restocked, which was not a big deal because we always came back to the room with a bottle of water in hand just to replenish ourselves. I only heard construction one morning but that was around 9 a.m. so that wasn't too bad. Breakfast is pretty basic and exactly as others have stated. We only had to wait once to be seated for breakfast but that was only a few minutes. For lunch we ate the buffet or the grille that had really good Panini wraps that everyone enjoyed. Our group has been to many all inclusive properties so we are not as demanding as some other reviewers appear to be. We go with the flow and if they didn't have a certain liquor we made due with whatever they had left. The bartender even made a special drink for my niece which when ordered using her name by others in our group, he knew what to make. I thought that was pretty cool and we never ran into any staff members that were rude or not helpful. I only saw one cat during our entire stay and that was walking down to the pool and the cat was asleep on a slab of concrete, so I'm not sure what others mean but being there 6 days and only seeing 1 cat who knows. As for the iguanas, we sat mostly by the Seaside grille and the iguanas were not bothersome to us. Only one day were the around our side and would eventually walk away but we didn't have them jumping on our chairs or going through our bags. It was nice not to have an all inclusive band or worry about towel cards! The shuttle to and from the pool area didn't have a set schedule but we used it as often as we could and it does stop around 11 p.m. Other times we walked which wasn't too bad as the105 stairs are smaller height steps. It is a challenge trying to find the walk way when you don't know the lay of the land but once you do, it's not hard to find those stairs. We ate dinner at all the restaurants and we enjoyed all of them. We ate at the sushi/hibachi place twice and it is your typical hibachi fare. When we went the second time we did not get hibachi and ordered off the menu which was fine and got bento boxes which had a lot of food. This restaurant ran out of certain wine which the server was nice enough to get from the other restaurant when my sister told her the other area had chardonnay, so the server went and got it for her. The service at all the sit down restaurants is slow but you are on island time and need to remember where do you have to be? Enjoy the experience and being on vacation. They were very accommodating at all restaurants seating us at two different tables 8 and 7 since we had 15. It was great they did that for us. We had no issue with housekeeping during our stay. We did get the note about no electricity which made it a bit difficult for my husband who has a cpap but we made the best of the situation by putting in ear plugs to get rest. We always saw Kendall around who made sure we and anyone else she ran into was having a good time. She was helpful with our questions and ready to jump in to help liven up the party.

We took the Safari bus to downtown area which cost $2 per person. We also went to St. John one day and the taxi cost $5 to get to where the ferry disembarks. The ferry to St. John is $7 for non residents. Then we took a taxi to Cinnamon Bay that cost $6 and then taxi from Cinnamon Bay to Trunk Bay cost $4 and cost t enter Trunk $4 and then taxi from Trunk back to ferry area cost $6.

I have not been to another Dreams resort so I do not have anything to compare their brand to. The renovated rooms are nice so that is the only review I can speak of and the resort itself is clean and for us all the staff is very helpful and accommodating. Fortunately when we booked the deal was great so maybe if we'd paid more I would be more harsh but I would say for what we paid the value was on par.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Owings Mills, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We loved that the resort is somewhat isolated yet very close to Red Hook. There is a decent scuba center there. The food was much better than expected for an all inclusive. The beach is down the hill from the resort but very nice with plenty of towels and chairs. The service was exceptional throughout the resort. Nightly entertainment was not overdone.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View top floor if you can
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This resort was sold as excellent after undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation.

You can tell there have been some improvements but I think the money would have been better spent on more experienced, engaging and hospitable staff.

I was placed in a "renovated" room on the 6th floor. I cannot deny that I had a breath-taking view but that is circumstance to the property, they win that on default.

ROOM:
1. The following items were present in my room and obviously had not been part of a renovation yet.. An old dated and non functioning bedside clock, a 28 inch flat screen TV with an un-laminated channel guide, two double beds that were obviously not changed as they had serious indents and squeaky box springs and a safe from the late 90's with a collection of dust, and construction debris sitting in between it and the wall.
2. The hardwood floors that they showcase in the photos are nice but there were visible stains on them throughout my stay that housekeeping has not been trained to (or care to) remove.
3. There were scuffs and scratches on ALL of the walls. There is obviously no Engineering team working to protect their asset.
4. The ceiling fan was old and DIRTY

SERVICE:
I will start with a simple story. I travel light so I always use the laundry services in the hotel for under garments and t shirts. I found paper bag in my closet for laundry. It has a space for my name and room number on the bag. However, there is NO PEN in the room. There is also no slip for the contents of my bag or the pricing.
I called the front desk using the room phone and informed the agent that I had laundry that needed to be picked up. She informed me that I had to bring it to the front desk. (This was at 7am). I brought the clothes down on the way to breakfast and had to ask for a marker to write my information on the bag. I informed the agent that there was no slip in my room and she said "They do not go in the rooms, I have them here". ...OK, was I supposed to memorize what I placed in the bag and write it down here? She directed me to a lobby chair to count my contents.
I don't know about you but I prefer not to count my dirty underwear in the middle of a resort lobby.
I returned them to the desk and asked when I could expect them. She said Monday by 9pm!? This is already a ridiculous amount of time for a resort but I chose to leave them. Monday comes and no laundry. I return to the desk Tuesday at 7am and inform them that I have not received the items and I was told "I don't know why she told you that. Laundry was not done yesterday".

At this point, I am walking around with short and a shirt on but no underwear. I am upset and was offered no apology, no call to expedite, no compensation, NOTHING. This one story is the trend of service that I received the entire time I was there, 6 days. No service that was deserving of my money then or in the future.

This resort has a lot of work to do and most of it lies in hiring a service consultant and firing the staff that has become accustomed to taking business for granted. New hardwood floors will not keep this resort in business.

lastly..

BE AWARE:
The resort does nothing to discourage the iguanas from violating your personal space. They jump on chairs, tables, go into your bags, etc. They are a nuisance and are becoming over-populated on the resort.

Also, Everyone talks about "the 99". referring to the stairs to the beach. This is not funny or enjoyable. The stairs are a walk to get to then once there, you will have to watch out for stray cats and iguanas. The shuttle they offer is not consistent and stops running at 11pm. Don't get caught by the pool after 11pm or you will feel like youre in a horror movie trying to get back to your room.

Room Tip: Demand a renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I usually don't take the time to write a review but, in this case I feel compelled to warn other people not to go to this place. I just got back, 5 nights 4 days, family trip.
They run out of food, they run out of water, they run out of towels. The help is rude. I went 2 nights without being able to get dinner. All the restaurants are not opened at one time so there are very few choices. One night 2.5 hours sitting there, my meal still hadn't arrived. I left. This is supposed to be a kid friendly place. One night one restaurant would not accept children and the other restaurant would only let the children into one portion of the restaurant. There was a 2 hr wait and this was the same place I never got my food after waiting 2.5 hrs. So, we had to go find some dried up French fries where they have the lunch buffet. When I spoke to management they were unwilling to help. Basically, this is all we have is what we were told. They did nothing to help. I asked for housekeeping to come back in 5 minutes, so they never came back.
I complained to my travel agent who recommended this place . The general manager approached us when we were checking out. After telling him some of my experiences he said I'm sorry there is nothing I can do because your leaving. More horrible customer service to say that. When I got home the manager wrote me an email giving me a sales pitch about what he was planning on doing going forward with the place. Another joke. I care?! How about doing something to acknowledge and compensate us for our horrible experience, food paid for and never gotten, rude staff, no swimming because there were no towels, having no water for the children. Rude again, giving me a sales pitch.
Nice views but stay away!!!!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First, I don't suggest an all inclusive in St. Thomas. There are too many beaches and other fun things to do on the island and surrounding islands to be tied to one place. We actually spent a lot outside of the resort because Dreams just didn't offer enough. Find a condo or decent hotel and enjoy the whole island is my recommendation.

As for Dreams.... It's ok.

Food.... Food is pretty good. Breakfast is really good, however it has its issues. Today (our last day) they had pancakes, waffles, and French toast, but no syrup. Pretty weird. The omelettes are great I thought.

Hibachi was our favorite. The food is good. Sushi is great too. I was really frustrated with their "rules" though. I was told I couldn't have sushi because I ate hibachi. For the money I paid for all inclusive I should be able to have whatever food is offered there.

The Italian food was ok- very basic.

We tried to eat the seaside grille but was told it was an hour and a half wait. There were at least half a dozen empty tables. Very understaffed.

There's also no food open between 5-6pm. We arrived a little after 5:00 and couldn't find food which we wanted after a full day of traveling. There's also nothing after 10:00.

The bars do good, but they're limited based on what liquor they have. They ran out of bourbon one night, which was frustrating because they had plenty of bourbon to sell at a 100% markup in the gift shop. Same for grey goose.

Pool/Beach.... The pool was nice. Never had a problem getting towels. The beach was just ok. Nothing great at all. So many great beaches in the Virgin Islands- this isn't one of them. We visited Magen's Bay and several beaches on St John.

Rooms.... Our room was renovated and nice. We found a bottle of champagne in our room congratulating us on our honeymoon which was a nice touch. The AC was iffy at best. Our fridge wasn't stocked and the coffee wasn't refreshed either. I had to call several times to get coffee. We called about coke and water and basically told us they'd do it tomorrow, which since we were leaving wasn't good. Luckily somebody finally came through.

Entertainment.... Very lacking. We went to bed early every night because there's nothing to do. You either go to bed or leave the resort and spend money which defeats the purpose of an all inclusive.

The resort is understaffed and under stocked. I couldn't get half of what I ordered at bars and restaurants. You just kind of settle for what they have. The staff seems unconcerned about things too. Lots of little things add up and I could get over it for the most part, but at some point it just gets to you. When I think of what I paid for this trip I should have got much more out of my resort. They pretend they're a 5 star and charge you like one, but they treat you like a 3 star.

I won't do all inclusive in the Virgin Islands again. I definitely won't stay at another Dreams either. If they can't get transitioned or treat guests well they shouldn't have reopened. I can handle things to do with renovations, but my issues are just small things that could be avoided if management actually cared.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Leawood, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at this property the beginning of April, DO NOT STAY HERE! We had the worst customer service and most unpleasant stay. The rooms were not clean, there was mold in various place, the phones were not working, beds were missing sheets and we had a mini fridge was leaking water and a broken safe was not working, we were unable to get room service during our entire stay due to phones in the rooms not working. After being switched between three different rooms we continued to be disappointed. Also, the rooms and entire resort was infested with sand flies, we suffered insect bites all over our bodies. We encountered several other guests who experienced the same problem. The pool was out of towels several times, you were lucky if you got lunch on this property as only one restaurant was open and there was only one bar tender pool side. This resort is not worth the price you are paying for an all-inclusive, because they make it nearly impossible to get food and drinks! Save your money…. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this IS NOT the place to go.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view, and the ocean view rooms is a further walk to all the restaurants and the poo...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Shreveport, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I visited this resort w/family and friends. The place looked nice but it didnt offer things that I've grown accustomed to from every other resort I've ever been to. My room had only sheets on the beds. I slept under a towel the first night and didnt realize until the third day that everyone else in my large party had nice white duvets on their beds. I approached the manager with my concerns and was told that there aren't enough to go around. (Insert shocked face) I paid more to stay at this resort than any resort ever. The food was just ok but after 10pm you have to fend for yourself. The room service menu was VERY limited and you were lucky if you got someone to answer the phone. My cousin couldnt work out at their gym on the third due to there being no electricity. After 4 days we finally got duvets on our beds, we received no apologies nor compensation for that inconvenience. The same night we were given notices of a "scheduled blackout", so we got to sweat in our sleep. The parasailing was nice, but DO NOT buy the pictures offered by the lady on the boat. They're $30 and about 50 of the worst, the blurriest shots EVER! Some of the shots were actually of the floor of the boat! The resort has very limited entertainment. Most resorts that ive visited have night clubs or shows at night. This one had limbo by the pool the first night..nothing for the rest of the trip, including memorial day. We had to pay money and leave the resort at night for food and entertainment. Customer service was subpar and smiles were few, including the young lady bartender who stuck her finger in my drink by accident and proceeded to hand it to me!! Go at your own risk!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!