“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We went to Dreams Sugar Bay a couple weeks after they officially changed ownership (January 2015) and we couldn't of had a better time. The views were breathtaking. The food was to die for. The staff was more helpful than I could imagine. The pool was fantastic and the proximity to St. John, Red Hook, and the downtown shopping area made our trip the best we have ever had. Before going we had seen a lot of negative reviews online about the place and were worried. But, those worries were quickly erased. We loved it so much we are going back again next January for a friends wedding who we recommended to get married at Dreams Sugar Bay.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Although we made the most of it and had a great time, this resort needs ALOT of work. I know dreams brand is amazing but this resort has not made the transition yet. The staff was great and I gave them lots of feedback but they have quite a bit of work to do to get this place up to dreams standards. The food was good but very sparse. They had the smallest buffets I've every seen and most days it was the same small selection. They often ran out of stuff like steak, shrimp etc. on my bday they ran out of steak but I begged the food service manager to find me one and she was able to get one for me as well as My friend. So that was nice but it took some convincing to make it happen. I don't drink but everyone with me does and they often didn't have the stuff to make the drinks they were requesting. The hotel overall is short staffed. The grounds need work and the buildings are showing their age. I upgraded my room to preferred and I had a beautiful view but the wifi didn't work in my room and we had an ant problem in the bathroom and the maid service didn't clean the rooms very well and didn't change the bedding and sometimes didn't replace towels. We didn't have iron or blow dryer. I personally wouldn't send anyone else here for at least a year unless they are cool with 2 to 3 star accommodations because this is not 4 to 5 star yet and it will take time to get them there. The beach is very small and rocky only a small section was clear to walk into. The spa and gym need major face lift especially the gym, all the equipment needs updating. Some of the weight machines had holes in the padding. They haven't even updated all the maps and signage around the resort. Overall this resort is pretty small - you had to walk down 100 steps to the pool and beach area but they did have a shuttle that went back and forth all day (that's a plus)! Oh and they have no entertainment sometimes even the lobby is quiet not even music playing. No nightly shows, no daily activities and the kids club looks so sad and run down. They have a lot of iguanas, huge ones that hang around the pool area, grill and hot tub. We spent a lot
Of time off the resort seeing the island and going to the other beaches because our resort just couldn't compare as far as ambience and amenity. The island is beautiful tho and I definitely want to go back but I'd likely stay at marriot instead.
all the staff that I did speak with were very nice and receptive and they are just as frustrated with the transition because they get blamed for all the stuff that is not up to standard yet. Oh and I called in advance and asked for a special birthday treat or something for my birthday and even when I checked it I told them again it's my birthday. Well I never received anything special but I did notice my neighbors had a bday banner on their door. Was that my birthday banner? Or did they totally forget about me? I don't know I just said forget and tried to make the best of my 40th.
Sent from my iPhone

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Montezuma, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My niece and I spent 6 days at Sugar Bay to celebrate her graduation from college. Upon arrival to the resort check in was very easy. We each were given a glass of champagne that was delicious. A staff member helped us with our luggage and showed us around our room. Our room was not stocked with water, pop or top shelf liquor. We had to ask 2 people 3 times for our frig to be filled. Our fridge was NEVER stocked by the staff with any kinds of drinks. We went to the CoCo cafe every morning and grabbed a couple bottles of water and stocked it ourselves. That was very frustrating. We changed and headed down to the pool to find something to eat. I had a mahi mahi wrap at the Barefoot grill and it was delicious. I enjoyed the Iguana's as long as they kept their distance. LOL. Pools were beautiful, beaches were awesome but very rocky only on spot to access the beach that was not rocky. Plenty of lounge chairs to pick from. We ate at the seaside grill they were out of chicken. I am not sure how that happens as there are plenty of chickens with their babies running around the resort. :) Breakfast buffet had several selections but sometimes the food was cold. Portofino restaurant was the same several selections but sometimes it was cold. I ordered pasta from the menu and it was delicious and hot!! The Market Place had several options to pick the pasta alfredo was delish. We really enjoyed the Himitsu the most. We dined there twice. A BIG THANK YOU to John at the concerige desk he made our reservations at the restaurant for us so we could go enjoy our day. He is very helpful and full of good information I definitely recommend asking him to help you he will make your vacation awesome!!! Thank you John. I see other people have commented about the cats. We say a total of 4 and they did not bother us at all. We saw them daily but they did not approach us at all. One was sleeping on the steps down to the pool and in fact he did not even wake up as we walked by. Several steps down to the pool which you do not have to take as they provide a shuttle back and forth about every 5 minutes. All the staff were very helpful and polite. They entertainment people provided several things to do through out the day to keep you occupied. We visited Coral Ocean and Corki beach the taxi was 10$ a person for roundtrip and definitely worth it. Plan to take a beach towel or sheet from your bed unless you want to pay for a lounge chair and umbrella. Vendors along the beach were very rude after we declined a chair and umbrella. Definitely take the ferry to St. Johns to Trunk Bay absolutely breath taking. Magens bay was pretty also but were stung by jelly fish. All the information about these things was provided to me by John. I cant say it enough he is AWESOME! Look him up!! I s this a 5 star resort, no it is not, but we had an great time because we chose to. We met some amazing people, had some amazing food, saw some amazing things, had an amazing time and made some amazing memories.

Room Tip: Room 612 was remodeled and very nice. The beds were very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Visited here for a wedding. The occasion was reason enough to have had a great trip. But, as for the hotel... the rooms were clean and well maintained. We initially had to change rooms, because there were two of us and just one bed. That was quickly resolved. The hotel property is still under repair, but remarkably there's no noise. Not even during the day. The resort is picturesque and easy to navigate. It's a bit large, but there's shuttle available that runs frequently. The food throughout the resort is okay. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to eat at their restaurant Bordeaux. I heard it was the best. What I did eat; breakfast, Hibachi, pool area, preferred room was fine. It wasn't superb, but it was edible and overall good. The drinks are good too. They have a pretty decent selection of alcohol available. The only downside is everything (bars, pool area, etc.) shuts down at midnight. I suppose there's but so much drinking a person can do and so they cut folks off. Although that doesn't explain why they also shut down the activities...

So, consider going into town during the evening if you're up for it and like to hang out a bit. Otherwise you'll be bored and tipsy.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Blue Point, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here for three night and were both pleased and disappointed at the same time.
We were very pleased with the quality of the room, the view was outstanding, the lobby was very nicely appointed and the sand at the beach was very soft.
We were disappointed with the food, but not because of the taste, it was very good. The problem was there were a number of menu items that they did not have available because they "ran out". The same holds true for the bar. If you expecting top shelf, good luck because they do not carry a lot of the good stuff, mostly Caribbean rot gut. They also ran out of dark rum, gin, and even coke. When I asked for the drink of the day (which changes daily) the bartender politely replied that "I can't make it because I do not have all of the ingredients". I waited a while and when I asked again for the drink of the day, he said "I still cannot make it and now I have even less". I was told that the purchasing department keeps cutting the orders to save money. That is no way to run a operation for an all inclusive

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
fmonnier021, Manager at Dreams Sugar Bay, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Dricelea
On behalf of all our employees here at the Dreams Sugar Bay we really do appreciate the time you took to write your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us. Your comments are more than important to us and will contribute in improving our services and quality. Our company is a service orientated company and our main goal is to satisfy our guest expectations and needs at any time. Please accept my sincerest apologies for not meeting your full expectations. Our wait staff and Food & Beverage team is growing every day and improving their operation on a daily basis. I am at your entire disposition for any needs you may have, we all hope that in a near future we may have the opportunity to host you again and received a second chance. Sincerely yours,
Florian Monnier
Manager
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I just go back from Sugar Bay on Saturday, we were there for a week and it was amazing. I was very nervous due to all the negative reviews on the resort, but I was optimistic and willing to give it a try, and I am so glad that I did. All these people who are writing bad reviews need to get a reality check, dont get me wrong there are a few things Dreams can work on, but over all we couldnt ask for more.

People kept complaining about no towels and poor housekeeping, we never once experienced that. Those must be people who do not tip their maids. Leave a couple dollars on your bed for your maid and your fridge will be fully stocked everyday no problem, they even put extra beers in there for us! Every morning on our way down to the beach/pool we would stop by the front desk and grab a beach towel, which they had plenty of, and they are more then happy to give you. The food there was great, they had about 5 different restaurants which would rotate days they were open, probably 3-4 were open every night. Our favorite was the Sushi place, we probably ate there 4 nights out of the 8 nights that we were there haha, we love sushi! Our least favorite was the Italian place, but it was still ok. The breakfast buffet in the morning was always perfect!! My girlfriend loved the omelets and egg station, and i loved everything else! We were full the entire trip haha, definitely time for a diet now :) There were times that they would run out of certain foods, but it seemed like they had enough choices to cover for them. This is one thing that upset me though, I talked to a local off property about them running out of chicken one night and i asked him why they didnt just go to town and buy more chicken at a local store? He told me that they only purchase from the states, and have a select day(s) every month where a cargo boat brings in their food... I dont understand why they do this??? it would make so much more sense if they just bought local produce, they would not have the problem of running out of anything if they did that. This did make the local people resent the hotel for that reason. But other then that I have no other issues. They NEVER ran out of alcohol either! The beach was beautiful and you def do not need rock shoes, if you enter the water from the left it is all soft sand, on the right it is very clear that there are rock cause its where you would snorkel.

I do have a couple suggestions for the staff and management as they keep imporving the resort; first, we only had one day when staff would bring us drinks and wait on us while we were sitting on the beach/pool everyother day we had to get them ourselves, which isnt that big of a deal, but instead of the staff all playing games a talking to eachother i think they would make more money if they took the time to wait on the guests. The one day our group of 8 was brought drinks we probably tipped the server around $20-$30 between all of us. So they missed out on a lot of money!
Second, they should spay and neuter their cats, there were a couple nights that I was woken up to the screaming of a cat in heat, if you have never heard that before it sounds like a dying baby! its horrible! however there are only around 10 cats on the property at the most, and they do keep out of your way, but the 2 nights I am referring to were horrible haha.
Third, information given about the boat rides was not correct. They have two boats that are parked off of the beach that do cocktail cruises and snorkel trips to the other islands which are very fun!! We were told by the gentleman who worked on the beach for the boat that the boat tour was going to go to Soggy Dollar bar and a couple other bars on the full day tour, along with a bunch of beautiful snokeling spots, lunch and breakfast included with free drinks. We mainly wanted to go on the boat to go back to the Soggy Dollar bar (our favorite), luckily we called the morning we were supposed to go to double check and they lady at the front desk informed up that the boat infact does not got to Soggy Dollar. If we didnt call and had to spend $160 a person for the ride we would have been very upset, but luckily we did check on that and didnt have to go. Instead we rented a boat and had a private captain take us to all the islands and Soggy Dollar for only $140 a person and we had an amazing time!!

All the staff was very nice and the massages we had were great (a lil expensive) but good experience.

I honestly can not wait to go back to Dreams Sugar Bay, it was such an amazing experience and I know the resort will continue to improve as it has only been open a few months. I highly recommend this resort to everyone!!! We will definetly be back soon!

Room Tip: Make sure to get the preferred club rooms, they are closer to water, but all the rooms have amazing...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Lisle, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I arrived 5/7/15 (for a five night stay) just before dinner time. Upon check in we were presented with two glasses of champagne. Our room was a Deluxe ocean view- absolutely stunning views, room was clean and spacious. Our fridge was re-stocked daily with beverages. One evening the room safe would not open, only took 5 minutes for maintenance to come to correct the problem.
Loved the pools/swim up bar! The beach in places is a bit rocky, but there is areas to the left that are smooth sand. We did not utilize any of the free kayaks/paddle boards. Our time was spent floating on noodles and the floats that were also provided for free!

Food: We ate at the Buffet for breakfast! Loved it! It was hearty, with plenty of choices. Made to order waffles, pancakes, eggs with all the fixings. There was also a make your own mimosa area!
Lunch at the beach grill- equally as good (the grilled bacon chicken sandwich) is a must have!
Dinner- ate at the French Restaurant twice, enjoyed the grouper!
Lunch- Did the buffet once- also plentiful and tasty.

Yes, I did read all the reviews before I left on the trip-- some made me nervous. But take it with grain of salt.. Because Dreams Sugar Bay is the place to be.

Room Tip: Ocean View Deluxe - 2nd floor
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!