“Enjoyed our stay, don't worry about the negative reviews….” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
New Jersey
“Enjoyed our stay, don't worry about the negative reviews….”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Was skeptical coming to St. Thomas after reading TA reviews... who writes these reviews and are they miserable people?

I'll start with this - my husband and I have plans to visit every Caribbean island.. with that, and from our travels we have realized that each island is vastly different from the next. In the past four years we have been to to the Bahamas (Atlantis), Jamaica (Beaches Negril and Iberostar), Barbados (Sandals) and now St. Thomas (Dreams). If you have been to the mega luxury resorts in DR, Mexico and Jamaica, Dreams Sugar Bay will fall short of your expectations, if you compare to them, but that does not mean it is not worth visiting. Dreams Sugar Bay is the only all-inclusive on the island, not like Jamaica and the DR where AI's line the beaches and offer incredibly luxurious experiences to set their resort apart from the next. St. Thomas is down to earth, friendly and Americanized and I think Dreams Sugar Bay reflects the island's vibe. We had wonderful service but it was not the "walking-on-gold, cater-to-my-every-need" experience we have had in Jamaica.

PROS:
1. The views! The hotel is nestled on a hillside. Almost every room has a water view and the views from the breakfast buffet are beautiful (ask to sit outside daily).
2. Hotel proximity to Red Hook, St. John and the BVI. Had views of St. John, Tortola and Jost Van Dyke from the beach and breakfast buffet.
3. Free paddle board (SUP's) and kayak rentals on the beach... first time I've seen SUP's at a resort.
4. Private beach, no vendors walking up and down selling items and no locals. Note: beach is a decent size but it's only for a hotel since the hotel is located on a small bay/inlet. If you like long walks for miles on the beach, this is not the beach for you.
5. Big blue mats (rafts) for use in the ocean and pool. We laid and tanned on those rafts in the ocean all day.
6. If you want to take a trip to St. John or the BVI, use the Daydreamer/Coconut (they have a hut right on the beach, they leave directly from the resort and they were awesome).
7. Beer in a can! No beer on tap but Corona, Coors Light, Bud and Heineken at every bar. Loved it.
8. Snorkel right off the beach, they have gear at the pool hut where you get your towels.
9. Most friendly people - the staff and guests.... we talked to everyone.
10. Bottled water at every bar.
11. Our fridge was stocked daily.
12. Plenty of beach chairs and never had a problem securing one. Yes, people leave towels on them and probably leave for the day. A few times we moved towels when we wanted a shaded spot and it was fine - no one came back for them.
13. Top shelf alcohol at the MAIN BARS in the lobby but not at the pool. At the pool they had Smirnoff, Cruzan rum, etc. but it makes sense because I don't really need Grey Goose in my fruity mixed drinks. Grey Goose, Belvedere, Ketel One, Captain Morgan, Johnny Walker, Tanguaray, etc. we were all available at the lobby and Himitsu bars. Champagne and Smirnoff vodkas were available at breakfast. If you are a mimosa lover, try a Maui-mosa with pineapple instead of OJ.
14. Large pool, one with a volley ball net, the other with a grotto area and pool bar and another that was mainly kids.
15. Even though the resort is a family resort, it was not overrun with kids during our stay and we still had romantic time to ourselves.
16. Karaoke every other night at the sports bar was good fun, go down have a drink and get into it. Some people were great and some were terrible but it was a fun time. Aside from karaoke the only other entertainment we came across was a DJ in the lobby bar (but no one was dancing), jazz bands by the pool bar and musicians in the lobby bar during dinner hours. Nice and low key, no "newlywed games" or shows that I have seen at other resorts.

CONS:
1. The food. No, it was not terrible. Most of it was actually good but I've had better at other resorts. The breakfast buffet was small but make sure to get made-to-order omelets and pancakes. The lunch buffet was hit or miss but the poolside grill was wonderful (we recommend the burgers and wraps!) so make that is your go-to for lunch. We didn't eat at any of the buffets for dinner. The French restaurant was just OK - I had beef and my husband had duck. We liked Hitmitsu for Hibachi and sushi but did not like the regular restaurants main dishes. We did not get to eat at the Seaside Grill because it was closed our last night. Also, the menus did not change the 4 nights we were there so that could be a problem if you are staying for an extended period of time.
2. Pool bar and sports bar smelled like dirty bar - don't know it it was not cleaned property but it smelled terrible and other guests made the same comments in regards to the smell.
3. When our room was cleaned we weren't given fresh towels everyday and had to call housekeeping to have them brought up. One of the four nights we had new bath mat, bath towels and hand towels.... other days they took our dirty towels but did not replenish.
4. No seating area/couch in our room like shown in the room pictures...... we did have a chair that fit one person. Not a huge deal because we spent our time on the balcony. Did I mention the incredible views?

THINGS TO KNOW (not good or bad):
1. The toilet water is in the rooms is yellow - but that's normal on the island so don't worry! Antonio at the front desk was helpful and understanding when I called the front desk about this. I didn't believe that it was "normal" and had him show us in another room to prove it.
2. There are 2 ways to get to the beach/pool area - a shuttle that seemed to be running constantly or walking down about 100 stairs. We walked down those stairs numerous times daily and I liked the "workout."
3. We only saw 2 or 3 cats the entire time we were there and they didn't bother anyone. At the Iberostar in Jamaica the cats would rub up against your legs while you were eating at the outdoor restaurant. These cats kept to themselves!
4. Suntan lotion and aloe at the resort gift shop were $15 per bottle and Caribbean Breeze brand. We usually buy suntan lotion at the resort because we don't check bags but in this case I would have preferred to have brought a brand I trust from home. If you get burnt ask Kendall to show you where the aloe plants are! We picked fresh aloe leaves to rub all over our burnt bodies and it was amazing (and free).
5. Large iguana's roam the beach area - they terrified me at first but we were told by staff that they have no teeth so no worries. They made for awesome photos and my husband even pet them!

FOR DREAMS STAFF/MANAGEMENT.... Here are my recommendations!
1. Love the "newsletter" lists put out daily but only saw them at the front desk.. can you slip them under all guest doors in the morning so everyone knows about the daily activities and that restaurants are open, etc.
2. We did experience the pool bar and sports bar not having mixed drinks or Coronas for a few hours Monday morning... we were told it was "because my boss did not order enough to keep the bar stocked." Maybe it's best to not have your employees say that to guests?
3. Have your entertainment team get guests more involved - we saw them standing around a lot and not really interacting with the guests..... it's nice to have an activity schedule but not when it isn't talked up or mentioned. There were one or two guys that did ask to play volleyball but that was it. Also, who was the "task force" guy and what was his job?

Staff we encountered: Antonio at the front desk, Kendall from the hotel, Mae the hostess, Christian the restaurant manager, Lori the waitress at the breakfast buffet... all super friendly, helpful and wonderful. Saw maintenance crews on the beach clearing seaweed and cleaning the pool early each morning. Thanks for making our stay wonderful and memorable.

All in all, if you are still reading... wonderful property that I would give 3.5-4 stars. Can it use improvements in areas, yes. Is the lobby full of huge pillars and marble staircases, no. But we had a fantastic trip and absolutely loved the resort and the island. We would definetly come back and stay at this Dreams again. Don't let the negative reviews deter you. Finally, we spoke with a lot of guests who were also concerned reading the TA reviews but were also pleasantly surprised like us.

Room Tip: We were in room 619
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We got back home 5/2/2015. I read reviews on here the night before we went there and I was terrified. Im happy to report that we didnt have the bad time I feared we would. Our room was fully renovated and had a brilliant view of the bay and. This includes ocean, hills, and distant uninhabited islands. A fantastic view. We got towels every day with normal housekeeping. The staff was friendly (but then we typically say hello first with a smile), and the food was good. The Italian restaurant is buffet style, except you can order 3 types of pasta, and they usually have 2 or 3 meats and fish cooked to order. Breakfast is in the same place and has an omlette station, and a pancake/waffle station. Different juices, fruits, etc. Theres a superb view at breakfast too, and if you look to the right you get a glimpse of Linquist beach - one of the finest beaches anywhere and a $5 short cab ride - well worth the trip.

The bars - we always got drinks when we wanted them, but it is true that by the end of the week the bars seemed to be low on certain liquor, and you may need to ask for "more" liquor in your tropical drinks, depending on who the bartender was. Pretty much all the bartenders were great and shared many a laugh with us, so getting more liquor in our drinks wasnt an issue.

Our room wasnt ready when we first arrived so we were encouraged to go to the pool area for lunch, which we did. To give you an idea of layout, the main check-in area is housed in a building at the top of a hill. Very nice inside, with shops, a bar, and three restaurants: Italian, french, and asian (you need a reservation for the asian). Upstairs is a cafe, plus conference rooms and a movie theatre. The guest rooms are also at the top of the hill, but in buildings just below the main building, so you take a short walk to them. To get to the beach and pool area, you can take the shuttle that runs nonstop all day, or walk down the "99" stairs. Its a nice walk, surrounded by lush plants and flowers.

There's a fitness center and spa on the premises, and the beach has a lovely view of surrounding islands. Not windy, calm breezes, and warm water. One caution with the beach is that you should wear beach shoes because certain parts under the water have rocks and urchins. The water is clear, so you can actually see the parts that you need to avoid, and so I didnt need beach shoes. You walk on the white sandly parts as you wade in. enter the water from the right side of the beach. Theres a nice tree just on the beach that offers great shade, but I would advise against laying there for too long because I think it has sand flies that you cant see, but they bite and leave marks like mosquitos with some people. The beach chairs have umbrellas that provide shade enough so that you dont need to go under the tree. And look for Mr. MCGregor, carving cups and animals from coconuts!

We ate at the asian restaurant after making a reservation, and enjoyed sitting at the hibachi (sp) table. However, you get more options by sitting at regular tables as we did 2 nights later. The french restaurant was ok, but nothing special. The pool side grill was awesome. Jerk mahi Mahi sandwich was consistently good,and I enjoyed talking with the ladies working the grill.

Animals: St Thomas has iguanas, fairly large ones too, but they are mostly docile unless you provoke them, and tend to stay in the shade or near ponds. We saw a number of ducks, chickens, and cats on the property too, but not to the level that bothered us. Most of the animals tended to avoid humans.

In short, once you see how gorgeous it is there, you should find it easy to relax and enjoy yourself. We had a renovated room, but didnt really spend much time in it because outside is so beautiful! The food was good, facilities are good, staff is good, and locations is great. Im not saying negative reviewers should be ignored, just that our experience was very different from theirs. Maybe they were almost done with construction by the time we got there (didnt hear or see much construction on our trip). I suspect that as Dreams completes the phsical renovations, it will work more on the guest experience (maybe theyve been doing that since the negative reviews?). I did hear that staff sometimes doesnt get paid for weeks though, and that obviously isnt cool. Despite this, staff always treated us well and met any needs we had. Special mention Felix and Jermaine, who are great guys working at the bars! We will definately return!

Almost forgot: Take the Daydreamer catamaran from the hotel beach. Do a full day trip. It takes you to snorkelling and two other beaches on St John. Captain Nelly, and Sam are awesome, and you'll be fed and see some truly great views of the islands. The time flew.

Room Tip: get a renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We understood the resort was recently purchased by Dreams so the property is in the midst of a transition. It was obvious which employees had bought into the Dreams culture as they were very pleasant, polite, helpful, and cared if we were having a good time. Some of the other employees had not quite caught on to the whole customer service aspect of their job. After checking in, which was quick and easy, we were escorted to our room by Norris. Norris is a really nice guy and gave us a tour of the property without taking us off course from our room. We felt educated enough to venture out and explore.
You will want to get the daily flyer telling you which restaurants will be open that day. Pick that up at the front desk before going anywhere. I suggest taking the stairs to the pool and beach area. If you're opposed to exercise then the shuttle will take you there, it runs all day and well into the night. The iguanas around the pool area will do their best to get you to feed them, do not feed them. I saw a guy get bit and there was blood involved. There is an iguana feeding daily so just go to that and be satisfied with taking pictures. I did pet one after he realized I had nothing to offer.
The food is quite good for the most part. Breakfast was the most disappointing. Runny eggs no matter how you want them. My wife was disappointed in the omelet bar. I asked for eggs over easy and they were runny. The guy next to me ordered eggs over hard, also very runny. The best meal we had was at Seaside Grill. Himitsu was good. If you want a seat at the table where they cook the food right in front of you then you must make a reservation. There seemed to be some misinformed employees about this and one couple we saw was very angry they were not able to eat at the fancy table because they had no reservations.
The concierge was incredibly helpful and informed. He's from Texas so that explains it.
Take a taxi but be careful. The drivers can be very competitive. Upon checkout we were told by the front desk lady we could not take the taxi in front of the hotel, we must wait for the taxi she called. The driver that was already there had a disgusted look on his face but he did tell us we had a choice. We went with him. The front desk lady was not happy with us. Speaking of the front desk lady.... We had to check out early in the morning so I had to holler for her to come out from the room behind desk area, she finally came out. I asked to leave the charges on the credit card I presented when we checked in but she said she did not have access to it. Checking out took three times as long as checking in.
Overall, I would recommend Sugar Bay with the understanding that the Dreams brand bring them up to par soon.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Navarre, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Booked in December during the transition to Dreams. After speaking with my main Hotel contact, Lorna, I felt reasonably optimistic that renovations and other issues would be resolved prior to our arrival the end of April. This was our annual Board of Directors meeting, with a total of 25 which included spouses. From arrival to departure five days later, everything was fantastic. Lorna's attention to detail was very much appreciated. She was available during the entire stay and addressed any change/issue I had quickly.

The views were spectacular. The rooms were great, the staff was friendly and helpful. The meeting rooms are on the second floor off the lobby so getting there was easy. The pool is "down the hill" from the property, but they had shuttle buses every 10 minutes to get you there if you didn't want to take the stairs. There was entertainment nightly which was not expected. Food was good and with 25 people in attendance the restaurant staff was great in accommodating us. We had a private function the first night and the buffet was outstanding. Most people in the group used the recreation facilities which included paddle boards, snorkel gear, and kayaks. If you have the opportunity to sail with Daydreamer you won't be disappointed. Overall, this meeting was a definite success and would not hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: If you can get rooms on the top floors with water views. You won't be disappointed
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
South Plainfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We have stayed here before when it was Sugar Bay Resort and Spa. We enjoyed it last may 2014. I do not know what happen since Dreams took over but the place needs to get organized and up the food with the service. Food was horrible, except for the grill by the pool, those ladies do a fantastic job! They should teach the other parts of the property what food service is. Another fav was the café on the second floor of the lobby, great morning drinks and pastry. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful and always perfect. Now for evening food go offsite. Unless you goto Portofino when it opens the wait is ridiculous and the selection seems more cold food dishes then hot. We left disappointed. We did do one meal at the beach side dinner place *forget the name* The host he just catered to people in ways that was good for some but not for all. Dirty table and silverware, service was horrible food cold and terrible. My daughter and I left and went into red hook immediately. The biggest issues with this location is the food, you wanna goto AI go to another dreams resort. This place isn't ready to hold the brand name. The staff is stressed and fight in front of guests, that host guy ousted an employee in front of us for doing her job. The layout of the resort is great, room was clean, we had plenty shampoo in the rooms as we forgot ours. Check in was lovely nice champagne and my daughter got a smoothie and cookies. There are pros and cons here but idk it was a wild experience and we should of just rented a private residence for cheap and went all out on food. The other thing I didn't like was they give out day passes to the cruise ships. Half the people on the resort by the pool and beach weren't even resident customers we had to fight to find a place to sit and relax.

Would we come back - NO! By all means I am not a complainer but it was a non relaxing vacation. And honestly a lot of people as we spoke pool bar side - had the same complaints. One thing I wanna say is keep Kendall for entertainment. I was so happy to see her again as well as my daughter. She has it right!

Room Tip: we had room 727 or 728 cant remember. bay view with nice view of Lindquist beach. even saw a wedding...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I read the reviews and was a little worried but We were looking for an all inclusive having two teenagers. I actually brought beach towels after reading they may not have them! (never used) .
I think this resort is perfect for older kids (12 +) because it's safe for them to take off and explore and there's all kinds of things for them to take off to .
There is a shuttle from the lobby to the beach but we never used it. There is 100 stairs +/-, but they were always easy going down :). After all the food we were eating we wanted to take them up!
All I can say is we were ALL happy there!
The food was good. There is an all you can eat buffet with an omelette, pancake,waffle made to order stations, fresh fruit, pastries, and so much more. The waitresses were loves who always had my coffee cup filled. Then, there is a cafe on the second floor of the lobby with cookies, croissants , carrot cake, chocolate cake, cheese cake and island fruit cake. They also serve espresso drinks and have bottled water. After breakfast we would go up and pick our snacks for the room at night. There are three pools, one with a pool bar, another with volley ball and a basket ball hoop. The beach is small but it's large enough to handle the guests. It has coral at one end and is sandy at the other .Being all inclusive, there are kayaks, paddle boards and snorkeling gear. The snorkeling is great and we went every day!
There is also an all you can eat lunch buffet and a made to order grill place cooking up burgers, chicken, fish and wraps. Next to that is another bar. While your sitting around the pool or on the beach, waitresses come around and get your drink orders. There is also a pool table in the "grotto" under the waterfall. It's in tough shape but it is out side and the kids didn't care. At night there is a French restaurant- Over 12 ONLY and proper dress required. There is also Japanese and an Italian restaurant, all by the lobby. By the beach is The seaside grill that has steak,chicken and fish. We rented a car thinking we would go to Saint Johns for a day on the ferry or go to other beaches ( I was worried about the beach from reading other reviews) we only went out once to go zip lining and stopped at Magans Bay while in the area. We couldn't wait to go back to our private little paradise!
There were four of us in the room and it was large enough with a separate wash sink out side the large bathroom. The shower had a seat in it and lots of room. Our room was always clean and we always had towels, in our room and at the beach!
Our son got a bug and when I asked them to bring up some more cokes ,they also brought ice and were so nice asking if there was any thing else he needed.
Christian who manages the beach,pool, restaurants area is the best and is always on the move making sure every one is happy.
My husband and I are 50 ish and our kids are in their teens. If you are high maintenance , there is a Ritz Carlton, this isn't a place for high maintenance people. It is a place for laid back, easy going people who appreciate having every thing you really need in the Caribbean- pool, beach, food,drinks and a gorgeous view with great breezes! I have been to several Islands and this hotel is on par with the others we have stayed at. This was our first all inclusive ( other than Disney ) and we were not disappointed . Also, there is something going on in the pool area every night, bands, karaoke and carnival.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
ameinhold, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Sugar Bay, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Betsy T,

We would like to extend our deepest gratitude for your fantastic review.

Thank you so much for the time and effort that it may have taken you to write such a great review. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed the food as well as the services that were provided to you and your family. We appreciate each and every detail that was stated.

We hope you return soon!

Kindest regards,
Brittany Sooklal
Social Media Coordinator
on behalf of Andreas Meinhold
Boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We booked in early October. Got a great price then started reading reviews. We were nervous but went anyways. Went over April vacation. Very happy. Had no problems other than we stayed on the beach late afternoon and a few of us got sand flies bites all over our legs. That also happens to us in Florida if you sit near trees or bushes at dusk so get off beach and you should have no problems. Food was good at all the restaurants. Hibachi grill was amazing. The Sea Side grill down by the beach was so delicious we ate there twice. Manager was so nice. We stayed in room 521 and the view was great. We would definitely go again. We even brought our own towels and beach shoes and did not use them once. Have any questions just ask. We were very happy.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the bay with St John over to our right. Fifth floor with no obstructions.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!