“Not coming back. Go somewhere else.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Not coming back. Go somewhere else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have stayed here before when it was Sugar Bay Resort and Spa. We enjoyed it last may 2014. I do not know what happen since Dreams took over but the place needs to get organized and up the food with the service. Food was horrible, except for the grill by the pool, those ladies do a fantastic job! They should teach the other parts of the property what food service is. Another fav was the café on the second floor of the lobby, great morning drinks and pastry. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful and always perfect. Now for evening food go offsite. Unless you goto Portofino when it opens the wait is ridiculous and the selection seems more cold food dishes then hot. We left disappointed. We did do one meal at the beach side dinner place *forget the name* The host he just catered to people in ways that was good for some but not for all. Dirty table and silverware, service was horrible food cold and terrible. My daughter and I left and went into red hook immediately. The biggest issues with this location is the food, you wanna goto AI go to another dreams resort. This place isn't ready to hold the brand name. The staff is stressed and fight in front of guests, that host guy ousted an employee in front of us for doing her job. The layout of the resort is great, room was clean, we had plenty shampoo in the rooms as we forgot ours. Check in was lovely nice champagne and my daughter got a smoothie and cookies. There are pros and cons here but idk it was a wild experience and we should of just rented a private residence for cheap and went all out on food. The other thing I didn't like was they give out day passes to the cruise ships. Half the people on the resort by the pool and beach weren't even resident customers we had to fight to find a place to sit and relax.

Would we come back - NO! By all means I am not a complainer but it was a non relaxing vacation. And honestly a lot of people as we spoke pool bar side - had the same complaints. One thing I wanna say is keep Kendall for entertainment. I was so happy to see her again as well as my daughter. She has it right!

Room Tip: we had room 727 or 728 cant remember. bay view with nice view of Lindquist beach. even saw a wedding...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I read the reviews and was a little worried but We were looking for an all inclusive having two teenagers. I actually brought beach towels after reading they may not have them! (never used) .
I think this resort is perfect for older kids (12 +) because it's safe for them to take off and explore and there's all kinds of things for them to take off to .
There is a shuttle from the lobby to the beach but we never used it. There is 100 stairs +/-, but they were always easy going down :). After all the food we were eating we wanted to take them up!
All I can say is we were ALL happy there!
The food was good. There is an all you can eat buffet with an omelette, pancake,waffle made to order stations, fresh fruit, pastries, and so much more. The waitresses were loves who always had my coffee cup filled. Then, there is a cafe on the second floor of the lobby with cookies, croissants , carrot cake, chocolate cake, cheese cake and island fruit cake. They also serve espresso drinks and have bottled water. After breakfast we would go up and pick our snacks for the room at night. There are three pools, one with a pool bar, another with volley ball and a basket ball hoop. The beach is small but it's large enough to handle the guests. It has coral at one end and is sandy at the other .Being all inclusive, there are kayaks, paddle boards and snorkeling gear. The snorkeling is great and we went every day!
There is also an all you can eat lunch buffet and a made to order grill place cooking up burgers, chicken, fish and wraps. Next to that is another bar. While your sitting around the pool or on the beach, waitresses come around and get your drink orders. There is also a pool table in the "grotto" under the waterfall. It's in tough shape but it is out side and the kids didn't care. At night there is a French restaurant- Over 12 ONLY and proper dress required. There is also Japanese and an Italian restaurant, all by the lobby. By the beach is The seaside grill that has steak,chicken and fish. We rented a car thinking we would go to Saint Johns for a day on the ferry or go to other beaches ( I was worried about the beach from reading other reviews) we only went out once to go zip lining and stopped at Magans Bay while in the area. We couldn't wait to go back to our private little paradise!
There were four of us in the room and it was large enough with a separate wash sink out side the large bathroom. The shower had a seat in it and lots of room. Our room was always clean and we always had towels, in our room and at the beach!
Our son got a bug and when I asked them to bring up some more cokes ,they also brought ice and were so nice asking if there was any thing else he needed.
Christian who manages the beach,pool, restaurants area is the best and is always on the move making sure every one is happy.
My husband and I are 50 ish and our kids are in their teens. If you are high maintenance , there is a Ritz Carlton, this isn't a place for high maintenance people. It is a place for laid back, easy going people who appreciate having every thing you really need in the Caribbean- pool, beach, food,drinks and a gorgeous view with great breezes! I have been to several Islands and this hotel is on par with the others we have stayed at. This was our first all inclusive ( other than Disney ) and we were not disappointed . Also, there is something going on in the pool area every night, bands, karaoke and carnival.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
ameinhold, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Sugar Bay, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Betsy T,

We would like to extend our deepest gratitude for your fantastic review.

Thank you so much for the time and effort that it may have taken you to write such a great review. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed the food as well as the services that were provided to you and your family. We appreciate each and every detail that was stated.

We hope you return soon!

Kindest regards,
Brittany Sooklal
Social Media Coordinator
on behalf of Andreas Meinhold
Boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We booked in early October. Got a great price then started reading reviews. We were nervous but went anyways. Went over April vacation. Very happy. Had no problems other than we stayed on the beach late afternoon and a few of us got sand flies bites all over our legs. That also happens to us in Florida if you sit near trees or bushes at dusk so get off beach and you should have no problems. Food was good at all the restaurants. Hibachi grill was amazing. The Sea Side grill down by the beach was so delicious we ate there twice. Manager was so nice. We stayed in room 521 and the view was great. We would definitely go again. We even brought our own towels and beach shoes and did not use them once. Have any questions just ask. We were very happy.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the bay with St John over to our right. Fifth floor with no obstructions.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Food was great, staff very friendly, room cleaned every afternoon, beautiful scenery!! What else can you ask for?? If you feel the drinks are watered down ask for a double, no problem!! My wife and I would most definitely stay here again!! Beats the heck out of Chicago weather! More advice, take the $14 boat ride to St John and check out Trunk bay too!! Have fun, don't let some of the negative reviews make you nervous. I'll admit, they made us second guess it too, but soooo glad we went anyway!! I'd say go now while it's still affordable before people start to realize that this place has really turned around, and has it all!! Great place!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband booked this for us for a few nights for my birthday. We made the unfortunate mistake to read the reviews after we booked and paid. We have never done the all inclusive but decided to give it a try. Needless to say what a HUGE let down. This place is way overpriced for what you get, it needs a major facelift, the restaurants are a joke, the beach is small, and I've had better service at a Waffle House. I will never return, not will I ever stay at an all inclusive place. To me it's not a value at all.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First off this resort was great, everything from the food to the staff. My room was always nice and clean, the food and drinks were worth every penny. The activities on the resort were memorable as well, please check out Kii, Nasif, and Jermaine if they are at any of the bars. These guys were great and recommended great places to go outside the resort. The only people that could complain have to be high maintenance, yes there is a little walk from the rooms to the pool and beach but I am a New Yorker so things like that did not bother me. Overall this was a great experiences and I made great friends with great people.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Brittany A,

Thank you for your fantastic review!

We appreciate the time that was taken to share about your great experience with us at the Resort. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please note that the employees that you have stated will receive the praise owed to them for having performed outstanding service for you and your family.

We hope you and your family will return home to stay with us.

Kindest Regards,

Brittany Sooklal
Social Media Coordinator
on behalf of Andreas Meinhold
Fruitport, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I settled on Dreams Sugar Bay when planning our April vacation. We went with an open mind and lower expectations based on the reviews we'd read. We are pretty low maintenance people, so we weren't too worried about a less than "5 star" experience.

I would recommend the following:
Go with an open mind. Leave your expectations at the door. This isn't a top shelf, five star, luxury resort. It's a great hotel on beautiful grounds that serves decent food and whatever beverages you 'd like.

Take a blow dryer if you use one. I was shocked to find that the rooms were not equipped with them - but one call to the front desk and one was sent up.

Take advantage of the water sports ( kayaks, snorkeling, paddle boards) available to use. The snorkeling just from the beach was awesome. We went every day - a couple times of day - and never tired of all the different species we saw ( sand shark, ray, angel fish, tarpon, the list goes on!)

Also, check out the gift shop at the pool vs. the one in the lobby if you are looking for something. The one at the pool was much cheaper for the exact same merchandise. Granted selection and quantity was smaller, but worth checking out first.

In closing - we loved our time at Dreams Sugar Bay. We looked for all the things that were going right. We truly appreciated every minute in such a wonderful climate! Our room was very nice - updated - cleaned daily.

The building is undergoing renovation - we saw a lot of progress in the time we were there. The improvements are beautiful.

So, as I said - read these reviews with an open mind. Look at what else is available on St. Thomas - I think there is only one other all inclusive on the island . ( We explored one of the days we were in St. Thomas and we checked out the other grounds ....so glad we made the RIGHT choice!) For the money we spent , I think we got our money's worth at Dream's Sugar Bay.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room with ocean view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!