“can't wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
“can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I read the reviews and was a little worried but We were looking for an all inclusive having two teenagers. I actually brought beach towels after reading they may not have them! (never used) .
I think this resort is perfect for older kids (12 +) because it's safe for them to take off and explore and there's all kinds of things for them to take off to .
There is a shuttle from the lobby to the beach but we never used it. There is 100 stairs +/-, but they were always easy going down :). After all the food we were eating we wanted to take them up!
All I can say is we were ALL happy there!
The food was good. There is an all you can eat buffet with an omelette, pancake,waffle made to order stations, fresh fruit, pastries, and so much more. The waitresses were loves who always had my coffee cup filled. Then, there is a cafe on the second floor of the lobby with cookies, croissants , carrot cake, chocolate cake, cheese cake and island fruit cake. They also serve espresso drinks and have bottled water. After breakfast we would go up and pick our snacks for the room at night. There are three pools, one with a pool bar, another with volley ball and a basket ball hoop. The beach is small but it's large enough to handle the guests. It has coral at one end and is sandy at the other .Being all inclusive, there are kayaks, paddle boards and snorkeling gear. The snorkeling is great and we went every day!
There is also an all you can eat lunch buffet and a made to order grill place cooking up burgers, chicken, fish and wraps. Next to that is another bar. While your sitting around the pool or on the beach, waitresses come around and get your drink orders. There is also a pool table in the "grotto" under the waterfall. It's in tough shape but it is out side and the kids didn't care. At night there is a French restaurant- Over 12 ONLY and proper dress required. There is also Japanese and an Italian restaurant, all by the lobby. By the beach is The seaside grill that has steak,chicken and fish. We rented a car thinking we would go to Saint Johns for a day on the ferry or go to other beaches ( I was worried about the beach from reading other reviews) we only went out once to go zip lining and stopped at Magans Bay while in the area. We couldn't wait to go back to our private little paradise!
There were four of us in the room and it was large enough with a separate wash sink out side the large bathroom. The shower had a seat in it and lots of room. Our room was always clean and we always had towels, in our room and at the beach!
Our son got a bug and when I asked them to bring up some more cokes ,they also brought ice and were so nice asking if there was any thing else he needed.
Christian who manages the beach,pool, restaurants area is the best and is always on the move making sure every one is happy.
My husband and I are 50 ish and our kids are in their teens. If you are high maintenance , there is a Ritz Carlton, this isn't a place for high maintenance people. It is a place for laid back, easy going people who appreciate having every thing you really need in the Caribbean- pool, beach, food,drinks and a gorgeous view with great breezes! I have been to several Islands and this hotel is on par with the others we have stayed at. This was our first all inclusive ( other than Disney ) and we were not disappointed . Also, there is something going on in the pool area every night, bands, karaoke and carnival.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked in early October. Got a great price then started reading reviews. We were nervous but went anyways. Went over April vacation. Very happy. Had no problems other than we stayed on the beach late afternoon and a few of us got sand flies bites all over our legs. That also happens to us in Florida if you sit near trees or bushes at dusk so get off beach and you should have no problems. Food was good at all the restaurants. Hibachi grill was amazing. The Sea Side grill down by the beach was so delicious we ate there twice. Manager was so nice. We stayed in room 521 and the view was great. We would definitely go again. We even brought our own towels and beach shoes and did not use them once. Have any questions just ask. We were very happy.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the bay with St John over to our right. Fifth floor with no obstructions.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband booked this for us for a few nights for my birthday. We made the unfortunate mistake to read the reviews after we booked and paid. We have never done the all inclusive but decided to give it a try. Needless to say what a HUGE let down. This place is way overpriced for what you get, it needs a major facelift, the restaurants are a joke, the beach is small, and I've had better service at a Waffle House. I will never return, not will I ever stay at an all inclusive place. To me it's not a value at all.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First off this resort was great, everything from the food to the staff. My room was always nice and clean, the food and drinks were worth every penny. The activities on the resort were memorable as well, please check out Kii, Nasif, and Jermaine if they are at any of the bars. These guys were great and recommended great places to go outside the resort. The only people that could complain have to be high maintenance, yes there is a little walk from the rooms to the pool and beach but I am a New Yorker so things like that did not bother me. Overall this was a great experiences and I made great friends with great people.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Fruitport, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I settled on Dreams Sugar Bay when planning our April vacation. We went with an open mind and lower expectations based on the reviews we'd read. We are pretty low maintenance people, so we weren't too worried about a less than "5 star" experience.

I would recommend the following:
Go with an open mind. Leave your expectations at the door. This isn't a top shelf, five star, luxury resort. It's a great hotel on beautiful grounds that serves decent food and whatever beverages you 'd like.

Take a blow dryer if you use one. I was shocked to find that the rooms were not equipped with them - but one call to the front desk and one was sent up.

Take advantage of the water sports ( kayaks, snorkeling, paddle boards) available to use. The snorkeling just from the beach was awesome. We went every day - a couple times of day - and never tired of all the different species we saw ( sand shark, ray, angel fish, tarpon, the list goes on!)

Also, check out the gift shop at the pool vs. the one in the lobby if you are looking for something. The one at the pool was much cheaper for the exact same merchandise. Granted selection and quantity was smaller, but worth checking out first.

In closing - we loved our time at Dreams Sugar Bay. We looked for all the things that were going right. We truly appreciated every minute in such a wonderful climate! Our room was very nice - updated - cleaned daily.

The building is undergoing renovation - we saw a lot of progress in the time we were there. The improvements are beautiful.

So, as I said - read these reviews with an open mind. Look at what else is available on St. Thomas - I think there is only one other all inclusive on the island . ( We explored one of the days we were in St. Thomas and we checked out the other grounds ....so glad we made the RIGHT choice!) For the money we spent , I think we got our money's worth at Dream's Sugar Bay.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room with ocean view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Glenolden, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This mini vacation was a gift from me for my boyfriend's birthday. At Check in was smooth, when we arrived at our room there was a Happy Birthday banner on our door. And within minutes of being in the room a female worker brought champagne and two pieces of chocolate cake. The room was gorgeous! The view was just beautiful. There were bathrobes and slippers for the both of us. We had a balcony and we love sitting out on it when in the room.

We didn't get to eat at all the restaurants. So, here is info on the ones we did eat at. We ate at the breakfast buffet ( In the main Lobby of the hotel) it was very good. We had lunch every day at the Barefoot grill at the pool area. The burgers, mahi mahi and chicken sandwiches and wraps are very good. One night we had the romantic dinner for two on the beach. And we paid for the platinum package which is the steak and lobster. It was very nice the only thing I can say is that the lobster was over cooked. Other then that it was good. We ate at Hibachi the food was great and it was a lot of fun. CoCo café on the second floor (In the main lobby of the hotel) was great for grab and go waters, coffee and muffins/bagels and sweets. We ate at Barefoot grill one night and we didn't like it. Maybe because it was late we waiting almost 2 hours to get in and that was with reservations, when we did they were out of a lot of the food on the menu. We ate at the buffet for dinner one night it was good It's a buffet. I think that it is what you make of it. They do not cook the same way we do, so it will always be different. Have and open mind, if you don't like something just get something else.
The beach is small but very nice, Make sure you bring water shoes, the water has rocks. We had fish swing around us and even bumping into us. very cool. The pool was great we loved it and all the iguanas walking around. Poor bar was great.( it is not a top shelf resort) But we just made due with what they had. It was a lot of fun hanging and talking with others from all over. Only one morning they ran out of towels BUT that is because the deliver tuck was late bringing them. With in the hour we had towels. Not a big deal.
All the workers were so nice and helpful. Never seen anyone being yelled at. It was just awesome. We did the half a day snorkel trip on the coconut catamaran it was 1 to 4. Perfect for us since we only stayed a short time. it was great definitely worth doing.

Now this is the part that I have a HUGE problem with. There are starving cats/kittens all over the resort. I was told that their are 60 plus. I was told that the resort has stopped feeding and taking care of them because they don't wont to spend money on them anymore and that they want them to leave.The resort is telling the all the guests that they have a feeding post for the cats. THEY ARE LYING!!!!!!!
DREAMS Sugar bay you bought this resort with the cats on it that means that they are yours to take care of. I seen the bait boxes all around, Which means that if you didn't have all of the cats you would have a rodent issue. So just because you have stopped feeding them ( which is animal cruelty) they will become more feral and hunt. Some will starve, they will become sickly. BUT they will not leave that is there home. Some are very friendly. This IS very sad and disturbing not only to us, But for a lot of people that are staying at your resort. Do the right thing and take care of them call in a rescue group to trap neuter/spay and release so that they can't reproduce.

Jane & Tony

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We are a very well traveled family, and although there is room for improvement we were quite pleased with our stay. We stayed for 6 days with our 2 children, ages 10 and 6. Reading the reviews on here seemed to make our stay that much better because we took other travelers' advice. We brought our own blankets (you will need them unless you only want a sheet), we brought 3 types of bug spray plus a Therapik, we brought water shoes for everyone, and we booked private transportation to the hotel from the airport rather than a "cab"/van. ACTIVITIES- The snorkeling here was excellent and the water was very warm and calm for our 6 yr old to snorkel from shore. There were lots of black sea urchins everywhere, so beware. (One even washed up under our beach chair one afternoon). We also went out on a family kayak for the first time and the kids had so much fun. We didn't use the pool much, but it was cold. We didn't have a problem getting towels in the room or at the beach/pool. ENTERTAINMENT- There was live entertainment every night we were there and the music was excellent. There were steel drums, pianists, guitarists, singers, etc. There were also a few pool parties/pirate parties but we didn't get the chance to attend. The kids club staff also did crab races by the pool and face painting, and that was a really nice touch. DINING- There is no creamer or half/half here for coffee, so bring your own. The food was pretty good for an all inclusive (we are a group of picky eaters), and we especially loved the breakfast buffet each morning and the Hibachi restaurant. We never needed reservations for this restaurant, although we sat at a regular table each time (not hibachi style) since our kids were with us. The staff there were particularly kind and willing to create anything we requested for us or our children. We don't drink alcohol but they had an arsenal of wonderful non-alcoholic drinks they could make. We also enjoyed being able to go to Coco Cafe any time of the day to get bottles of water, sodas, or a variety of Minute Maid Juices- as well as pastries, croissants, sandwiches, or other snacks. The red velvet cake was excellent, and I'm a southern girl from Georgia! (red velvet is one of our specialties) LOCATION-This is on the opposite side of the island from the airport, and private transportation was $80. It was only $20 more than a cab but took far less time and we got a mini tour of the island for FREE. :) We also paid $20 cab fare each way to go to the ferry from the hotel, and the same for Coral World (which seemed ridiculous since it is directly across the lagoon from the resort and I was seriously inclined to just kayak across it-Lol). Don't bother with Coki Beach next to Coral World--it was a madhouse that was overrun with people in and out of the water and the beach at the hotel is much better! The isolated location of the hotel and the cost of transportation is a serious downfall of the area. Paying $20 each way to even go a mile up the road gets expensive very fast. I would NOT recommend walking anywhere, or driving for that matter, due to sporatic drivers, extreme switchbacks, and narrow mountain roads with zero shoulders. The views, of course, were absolutely spectacular, and this makes it worth the trip to St. Thomas. ROOMS- Nice and clean, and the view from the bed was amazing! They had room service available and you can get a menu at the front desk. We didn't use it because we loved the views from the restaurants. CHILDCARE- The kids club was nice, but not supervised enough for our taste. We decided to let the kids play there while we waited outside and chatted in the courtyard. There is a pool out back where the kids can play bumper boats, but parents are not allowed in the area and that concerned me. GENERAL- The bugs were the most horrendous of any of the 9 islands we have traveled to, or the states of Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and California! :( I made my own no see-um repellent from a recipe online and it was the only thing that seemed to work. Even one of the staff asked to borrow it. I also brought strips of fabric softener sheets and hung them around the room at night and put them in our pockets on the way to dinner every night to keep away mosquitos. Some of the people at the hotel looked like they were covered in chicken pox because of all the insect bites. Those little devils drank the OFF bug spray like it was an exotic pina colada-Lol. If anyone needs the recipe for the bug spray we used or any other tips about the hotel, etc. feel free to contact me. Have a beautiful vacation! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor which will keep away more of the bugs, but DON'T leave your doors open to...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!