“No beer. No rum! no towels! Haaaa what a joke. But not!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
“No beer. No rum! no towels! Haaaa what a joke. But not!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW via mobile

Stay away. Staw away please stay away. There is a reason there are more terrible reviews then good ones.

Seinfeld has had many story lines but I couldn't even write this one.
Came down to the pool on Saturday the 25th. No towels for over two hours. Then a man appears with a bag of no joke 12 towels. Really. With a line of people waiting. At that point the pool concierge should say I apologize for the inconvenience and I will bring you the towels shortly. Didn't happen.

Then waiting to order a drink as the pool bar and the sugar reef bar open.
Sorry no beer no rum. Haaaaa really. Can't write this. Who is running this place.

Andreas the hotel manager needs to spend more time at his property not out on dates like last night.

Please do not stay here. They do not deserve our hard earned money. Go elsewhere until there is a new manager who knows what he is actually doing.

Dreams if you need a consultant give me a call. I will talk to you about customer service and how to make your visitors feel like a million bucks.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Rockville Centre, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

So I know there are many mixed reviews on here. I will just tell of our experience.

Our room was gorgeous! The view to die for. We sat on the balcony all the time. We got a free upgrade bc it was our honeymoon and we were so happy. Had bathrobes and slippers on the bed and plenty of towels in bath. Fridge had soda, juice and beer. We got there at 1pm and they had it ready for us, so no waiting. Check-in was easy..no problems. We left the room the first day to hit the beach and when we came back there was a bottle of wine and fruit waiting for us.

Food - Some good, some not so good! We tried every restaurant. Barefoot Grill at pool was one of the best. Burgers and sandwiches were great! Market cafe-buffet also was usually very good as well. Portofino, eh not the greatest. Seaside Grill was very good. Hibachi was by far the best! Make a reservation as soon as you get there! It is not to be missed. Bordeaux was also very good. The best meal we had was the private dinner on the beach. It was chicken and steak and amazing. We had the whole beach to ourselves and they set it up so nicely. I highly recommend doing this! CoCo cafe was good to grab water and a muffin/bagel on the way to the beach.

Beach was gorgeous. Never had a problem getting a seat. It is rocky so water shoes are good but there are sections you can get in and out without them. Had no problems with bugs.

Pool was a little cold but once in it was fine. NEVER had a towel problem?? Always had plenty.

Bars - This is where they need more attention. Bars often ran out of a specific liquor but you could go to another one for what you wanted.

The people were all so nice! I do not know who the other reviewers dealt with but we had nothing but nice people!! Felix at the pool bar was great!! We also met Leonard and he was amazing! He was a singer before this and when he found out it was our honeymoon he sat down and sang us a song! He later found us the next day and gave us a CD of his music! I mean how nice can you get?? Thank you Leonard!!! I also had thrown my back out the week before we went, so was having trouble walking by the end of the day...all we had to do was go to the lobby and they would drive us in a golf cart to our room. The shuttle drivers were all fun and always smiling.

Activities. There are activities all day, everyday. You can play or not. We did Bingo twice, crab race, mayan ball game, iguana feeding and we had fun! Caesar the director is great and tries to make everything fun!

We visited Coral World and swam with the Sea Lions and did Snuba, both amazing experiences! Many people did St John and raved about it! We planned it but never got time to do it.

If you are looking for the 4 seasons...then this is not your place. They still need some time to figure out the alcohol and food but I can tell they are trying very hard!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

After staying at several dreams properties over the last 5 years.
I have been impressed with all the secrets and dreams I have stayed at in the past. This hotel however is not and will never be a dreams resort!!!!!

The people here are extremely slow and disrespectful all the way up to the hotel manager. The team members here are the same from sugar bat resort.
If you want to change a resort and perception you need to change the team first. They need to offer training classes here and quick what a dreams resort is and how to act to get repeat customers which is what dreams typically does.

Let's not stop there. The rooms. Not even at the caliber of a holiday inn. And half of the views look at a parking lot with the construction materials they are trying to renovate the property with.

The restaurants. They run out of everything. Everything. This morning u was just watching at breakfast and a little girl and her dad went to get pancakes. She was so upset when she was told sorry we don't have Any left. Them about five minutes later more batter came out of the back and they started making again. This goes back to the main point. Customer service and needing a new team. If was like everything was a chore for the workers to accommodate you! Really. That's your job. Do it with a smile. If not leave and find another job!!!
Not mine banana at an all inclusive resort. Really. Ice cream out at the lunch spot for the kids but then they have for dinner at Japanese restaurant. Who is managing this place? Someone who should be fired.

The bars also inconsistency on what they have where. An ordering system needs to be implemented and quickly.

No lounge or club atmosphere at night or shows! One night a carnival show. More a reason to have vendors to try and sell you something.

The good part of the resort is the views from select rooms. Not the previously stated parking lot views but the bay and ocean views. I see why dreams liked the property. Millions upon millions Are needed here to

Please avoid a nightmare from check in on. Go to secrets wild orchid that was amazing or dreams riviera maya,secrets silver sands,secrets Capri or secrets maroma.
You will enjoy your self and even if it costs more it is well worth it.

Do not I repeat do not get jaded by any other reviews. Don't stay here. It is a 2.5 resort at best.

Montague, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If you have been to other Dreams Resorts do NOT come here, it's a far cry from the Dreams we know. Bad service even in preferred club. This resort will take a few years to get it together before it can get to the Dreams standards we have enjoyed a half a dozen times in the last 6 or 7 years. What a waste of my vacation time and money.
The preferred club ran out of red wine and cold beer, unheard of in the other Dreams location. Dreams la Romana was our favorite resort.
Dreams St Thomas must be in financial trouble. After speaking to several staff members we learned they are not getting paid on a regular basis. Pay checks are days late or longer.
The bars and P club told us they don't get what they need to get thru the day. They ask for 10 bottles and get three or four and are out of the most popular drinks by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Wifi was so erratic and frustrating. I like bacon and sausage at b-fast but they didn't have sausage the last three days. Salads at lunch, ran out of cucumber. A bunch of small stuff but all added up to disappointment.
UVC or Amresorts jumped the gun putting the Dreams name on this dog.
You can put a dress on a pig but it's still a pig. You can put the Dreams name on a two star resort but it's still a two star resort.
But The views are five star!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just got back from Sugar Bay after spending a week there. The hotel is just about done all renovations and its coming along nicely. All rooms have a beautiful view and the renovations looks great. The two major things lacking are the service and food. Dont bother asking a server for a drink you will never get it, just go to the bar and get it yourself. The French restaurant is horrible, walked out halfway through our meal. The food is either well over cooked or really under cooked. dirty plates and the server could care less if you want a drink or not, they dont even come to your table to ask. They just go ahead and poor wine and leave. The Asian Restaurant was ok. Sushi was fanatastic, but done ask for meat, you might get it really raw. The buffet is really good, great selection of seafood made right in front of you, and the seaside grill is has a wonderful selection of meat and seafood. Too bad they could only seat 4 tables at time due to no serving staff in the restaurant, and don't bother with room service, you will never get it. The resort itself is nice, big pool and lots of room on the beach, close to other beaches as well. check in and check out was efficient, the cafe had a great deal of wonderful treats and drinks thought out the day. If you go, spend sometime at the spa, its only thing they did right there. We had a great day at the spa. Great hotel, just needs lots of work, wouldnt go back that's for sure, not worth the money.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view room. Well worth it!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

I just returned home from St Thomas and stayed at the Dreams Sugar Bay resort with my family. The travel agent informed us that this place is great and hard to get a reservation.

This resort was AWFUL! The employees are not only lazy but are rude and unfriendly!! The bartenders were unpleasant and told us they ran out of beer and rum! How do you run out of rum and beer at an all inclusive resort we paid thousands of dollars to stay at?!

Besides that, the food was HORRIBLE. I was sick and throwing up for multiple days after eating at the buffet. There are only a few restaurants to begin with and the hibachi place was "booked" so we weren't even able to eat there! Not that I'd even want to after being sick...two of the four restaurants were closed every other night for absolutely no reason. 24 hour room service that's listed on the site is a lie they stopped at 11pm and only offered a ham or tuna sandwich as the choices!

Again, I strongly advise you book elsewhere and hope you do not make the same mistake we did by listening to a travel agent that sent us here.

The island however is beautiful - make sure to visit and snorkel at Coki beach.

Good luck!

Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I wasn’t too impressed with our stay at Dreams Sugar Bay. We stayed at Dreams Los Cabos before and loved it! We thought we would get the same wonderful experience at Sugar Bay. We were wrong. Our stay wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t anything like the Unlimited Luxury that Dreams promises. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Maybe once the renovations are done, Sugar Bay will be a much nicer place. The construction wasn’t bothersome. In fact, I really didn’t see too many construction workers. In general, the resort is a little run down. Some areas are renovated and some aren’t. Honestly, it looks the renovations were done quickly and cheap. There are a lot of inconsistencies with what is posted on the Dreams website or what other travelers experienced.

CHECK-IN: I informed the hotel a month in advance of our trip that we were bringing an infant. Upon check-in we were informed the room was not ready and that it would be an hour wait. When we checked back after an hour, the room still wasn’t ready. The baby was exhausted and was being quite fussy in the lobby. We asked about upgrading to a suite, and the women at the desk told us they don’t have suites and all the rooms are the same. That’s not the Dreams website says and there is even a picture in the lobby of a Preferred Suite. Finally a nice gentleman at the front desk was able to get us into a room after we complained, but they forgot the crib. I had to call 3 times to ask about the crib. Finally it was delivered about an hour before the baby’s bedtime.

FACILITIES: The elevator in the lobby was a bit scary. It seemed quite unstable and was always shaking. The wooden bridge from building 5 to the lobby was very shaky. Planks were coming up. Paint was peeling from the wood. The spa was in terrible condition. I had a pedicure done and the massage chair was broken. The spa didn’t have any hot water so they had to heat up water using an electric kettle. The nail polishes were old and thick. Laverne did a great job with my pedicure using what she had. I felt bad for her. She was the only one there in the salon for hair, make-up, manicures and pedicures. The mosquitoes were horrible. My husband has probably 100 bites on him. My 6 month old son was getting bit while sleeping. Every morning we would wake up with a dozen more bites. I brought regular OFF but that didn’t work. I had to spend $10 at the gift shop for the Deep Woods OFF to repel the mosquitoes.

ROOMS: The rooms were not impressive. Our room was partially renovated. Paint was peeling on the door. The door stuck and was difficult to open. Some rooms had new doors but ours didn’t. They only have two double beds or 1 king. It would be a lot nicer if they offered Queens, especially for the money you pay to stay here. We had new furniture, new tile floor, and new paint on the walls. The tile in the shower was new, but the tub was never replaced. It was stained and old. The toilet seat had paint chips. The safe was old and it broke once during the week. The refrigerator was old and it wasn’t really that cold. It was filled with a few beers, juice, water, and soda. It was not refreshed daily and when we asked about it, we were told, they don’t do that anymore. We did not get any snacks, wine or liquor like some reviewers had posted. Some reviewers said they got bath robes and slippers, we did not. We had to constantly remind the maid to give us extra towels because we had 3 adults and a baby in one room. She would only ever give us two towels. The maid would mop the floor with a dirty mop and just push the dirt around. Our air conditioning broke the last night. Apparently there was a problem with air conditioning all over the resort. Good thing it happened on our last night. The baby did not like the hot and humid room that night.

We heard a lot of other guests complaining about rooms. One family had switched rooms 5 times in a week. Some people didn’t have any water in their room. Some people had problems with their toilet leaking. Honeymooners were given two double beds instead of kings that they booked. There was no room service even though it’s advertised. The front desk said they just started room service but there were no menus. We had heard people say they tried to order room service, but nothing ever came.

BARS: The bars were OK. They were always running of things. It didn’t make much sense. One bar might have water but another doesn’t. I honestly think it depends on the bartender and how they prefer to stock their bar. Felix and Ki were the best bar tenders. They always had a fully stocked bar and strong pours. They were super friendly and everyone had a great time when they were behind the bar. Other bartenders would barely even smile at you. One day both bars at the pool were out of rum. How can you be out of rum in the Caribbean?!? Another day, the pool bars were out of bottled water. A few days out of the week, they ran out of cold beer. The resort advertised specialty drinks in their daily newsletter. Often, the bars were out of an ingredient to make those. And I am not saying they ran out of things at 6pm. No, the bars would be out of something at 10am!! No bottled water at 10am was just ridiculous! The pool was a shuttle ride from the lobby so it was awfully inconvenient to go back there for water.

POOL and BEACH: The pool was freezing. Hardly anyone swam in it. It warmed up a bit by the end of the week but even then you would only see a few people in the pool. Quite a few guests would save their chairs all day with towels. The resort really shouldn’t let folks do that. I never saw any staff members picking up towels off empty chairs. Some towels sat on chairs for hours. It was hard to tell if maybe those people had just gone for the day. There was no staff to help with moving around the large umbrellas. There was only one day during the week I saw waiters around the pool area. The beach had plenty of sun and shade. The beach is quite rocky and I would recommend water shoes.

STAFF: We had a stroller with us and it had to be transported onto the shuttle to go to the beach or the pool. Some drivers were so rude; they didn’t even offer to help with the stroller. When we asked the one driver, he rolled his eyes like we were bothering him. There was one driver who was really nice and always got out to help us load the stroller. There was a lot of other staff who just seemed miserable. One staff member told me they haven’t gotten paid in a month. Most just didn’t seem happy with the management transition. One waiter we had was amazing. His name was Swanye. He always remembered our names. He was very polite and always smiling. There wasn’t much entertainment. I saw some of the entertainment staff walking around but they didn’t seem very enthusiastic about recruiting people for activities. One night they had a Carnival night. It was a short show but the girls in it were fun. I feel like the quality of vacation you have at this resort depends on the staff you interact with.

RESTAURANTS: The food was good but there wasn’t a lot of variety. Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day. You could get made-to-order omelets, Belgian waffles, pancakes, French toast, made-to-order eggs, fruit, pastries, oatmeal, etc. They had a variety of juices as well as champagne and vodka. Only two places were open for Lunch. The Barefoot grill made burgers, mahi-mahi sandwich, or wraps. There were only about 6 things on the menu. Everything was served with chips. The Market Café was open for lunch and dinner. For lunch, they usually had pizza, salad, basic pasta and few other items. We only ate at the Market Café buffet once for dinner. It wasn’t that great. Portofino was just a fancier buffet that served the same things every night. Flies were always buzzing around the buffets. We ate at the Japanese Restaurant once. We didn’t do hibachi because you had to make a reservation and we never got around to it. The food was ok there. We didn’t eat at the French restaurant because it’s adults only. We tried to eat at the Seaside grill but they only had one waitress and we didn’t want to wait. Dinner didn’t start until 6pm which made it difficult to get our baby in bed by 7 or 7:30. We always had to rush through dinner. The Coco Café was a nice place for coffee, tea, and pastries. It would have been nice if they had grab-and-go sandwiches but they didn’t. The only cold non-coffee drinks they had were water and iced lemonade. I did read the menus every day for all the restaurants and they never really changed much. The restaurants often ran out of things too. Some night you got a dinner roll, and some nights you didn’t.

I wasn’t very impressed with this resort. I had read reviews prior to our trip so I knew what to expect. We still had a nice vacation but for the money we paid to stay at Dreams, I expected better. If I had never stayed at a Dreams before, this would have certainly been my last time. Hopefully Dreams will step it up a bit and get this place up to par with the rest of their resorts. Otherwise, they are going to turn a lot of people off. They really should have just closed the resort for a few months and finished renovations.

Room Tip: Ask for a FULLY renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!