“UVC or people who know Dreams” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Montague, New Jersey
“UVC or people who know Dreams”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If you have been to other Dreams Resorts do NOT come here, it's a far cry from the Dreams we know. Bad service even in preferred club. This resort will take a few years to get it together before it can get to the Dreams standards we have enjoyed a half a dozen times in the last 6 or 7 years. What a waste of my vacation time and money.
The preferred club ran out of red wine and cold beer, unheard of in the other Dreams location. Dreams la Romana was our favorite resort.
Dreams St Thomas must be in financial trouble. After speaking to several staff members we learned they are not getting paid on a regular basis. Pay checks are days late or longer.
The bars and P club told us they don't get what they need to get thru the day. They ask for 10 bottles and get three or four and are out of the most popular drinks by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Wifi was so erratic and frustrating. I like bacon and sausage at b-fast but they didn't have sausage the last three days. Salads at lunch, ran out of cucumber. A bunch of small stuff but all added up to disappointment.
UVC or Amresorts jumped the gun putting the Dreams name on this dog.
You can put a dress on a pig but it's still a pig. You can put the Dreams name on a two star resort but it's still a two star resort.
But The views are five star!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just got back from Sugar Bay after spending a week there. The hotel is just about done all renovations and its coming along nicely. All rooms have a beautiful view and the renovations looks great. The two major things lacking are the service and food. Dont bother asking a server for a drink you will never get it, just go to the bar and get it yourself. The French restaurant is horrible, walked out halfway through our meal. The food is either well over cooked or really under cooked. dirty plates and the server could care less if you want a drink or not, they dont even come to your table to ask. They just go ahead and poor wine and leave. The Asian Restaurant was ok. Sushi was fanatastic, but done ask for meat, you might get it really raw. The buffet is really good, great selection of seafood made right in front of you, and the seaside grill is has a wonderful selection of meat and seafood. Too bad they could only seat 4 tables at time due to no serving staff in the restaurant, and don't bother with room service, you will never get it. The resort itself is nice, big pool and lots of room on the beach, close to other beaches as well. check in and check out was efficient, the cafe had a great deal of wonderful treats and drinks thought out the day. If you go, spend sometime at the spa, its only thing they did right there. We had a great day at the spa. Great hotel, just needs lots of work, wouldnt go back that's for sure, not worth the money.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view room. Well worth it!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I just returned home from St Thomas and stayed at the Dreams Sugar Bay resort with my family. The travel agent informed us that this place is great and hard to get a reservation.

This resort was AWFUL! The employees are not only lazy but are rude and unfriendly!! The bartenders were unpleasant and told us they ran out of beer and rum! How do you run out of rum and beer at an all inclusive resort we paid thousands of dollars to stay at?!

Besides that, the food was HORRIBLE. I was sick and throwing up for multiple days after eating at the buffet. There are only a few restaurants to begin with and the hibachi place was "booked" so we weren't even able to eat there! Not that I'd even want to after being sick...two of the four restaurants were closed every other night for absolutely no reason. 24 hour room service that's listed on the site is a lie they stopped at 11pm and only offered a ham or tuna sandwich as the choices!

Again, I strongly advise you book elsewhere and hope you do not make the same mistake we did by listening to a travel agent that sent us here.

The island however is beautiful - make sure to visit and snorkel at Coki beach.

Good luck!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I wasn’t too impressed with our stay at Dreams Sugar Bay. We stayed at Dreams Los Cabos before and loved it! We thought we would get the same wonderful experience at Sugar Bay. We were wrong. Our stay wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t anything like the Unlimited Luxury that Dreams promises. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Maybe once the renovations are done, Sugar Bay will be a much nicer place. The construction wasn’t bothersome. In fact, I really didn’t see too many construction workers. In general, the resort is a little run down. Some areas are renovated and some aren’t. Honestly, it looks the renovations were done quickly and cheap. There are a lot of inconsistencies with what is posted on the Dreams website or what other travelers experienced.

CHECK-IN: I informed the hotel a month in advance of our trip that we were bringing an infant. Upon check-in we were informed the room was not ready and that it would be an hour wait. When we checked back after an hour, the room still wasn’t ready. The baby was exhausted and was being quite fussy in the lobby. We asked about upgrading to a suite, and the women at the desk told us they don’t have suites and all the rooms are the same. That’s not the Dreams website says and there is even a picture in the lobby of a Preferred Suite. Finally a nice gentleman at the front desk was able to get us into a room after we complained, but they forgot the crib. I had to call 3 times to ask about the crib. Finally it was delivered about an hour before the baby’s bedtime.

FACILITIES: The elevator in the lobby was a bit scary. It seemed quite unstable and was always shaking. The wooden bridge from building 5 to the lobby was very shaky. Planks were coming up. Paint was peeling from the wood. The spa was in terrible condition. I had a pedicure done and the massage chair was broken. The spa didn’t have any hot water so they had to heat up water using an electric kettle. The nail polishes were old and thick. Laverne did a great job with my pedicure using what she had. I felt bad for her. She was the only one there in the salon for hair, make-up, manicures and pedicures. The mosquitoes were horrible. My husband has probably 100 bites on him. My 6 month old son was getting bit while sleeping. Every morning we would wake up with a dozen more bites. I brought regular OFF but that didn’t work. I had to spend $10 at the gift shop for the Deep Woods OFF to repel the mosquitoes.

ROOMS: The rooms were not impressive. Our room was partially renovated. Paint was peeling on the door. The door stuck and was difficult to open. Some rooms had new doors but ours didn’t. They only have two double beds or 1 king. It would be a lot nicer if they offered Queens, especially for the money you pay to stay here. We had new furniture, new tile floor, and new paint on the walls. The tile in the shower was new, but the tub was never replaced. It was stained and old. The toilet seat had paint chips. The safe was old and it broke once during the week. The refrigerator was old and it wasn’t really that cold. It was filled with a few beers, juice, water, and soda. It was not refreshed daily and when we asked about it, we were told, they don’t do that anymore. We did not get any snacks, wine or liquor like some reviewers had posted. Some reviewers said they got bath robes and slippers, we did not. We had to constantly remind the maid to give us extra towels because we had 3 adults and a baby in one room. She would only ever give us two towels. The maid would mop the floor with a dirty mop and just push the dirt around. Our air conditioning broke the last night. Apparently there was a problem with air conditioning all over the resort. Good thing it happened on our last night. The baby did not like the hot and humid room that night.

We heard a lot of other guests complaining about rooms. One family had switched rooms 5 times in a week. Some people didn’t have any water in their room. Some people had problems with their toilet leaking. Honeymooners were given two double beds instead of kings that they booked. There was no room service even though it’s advertised. The front desk said they just started room service but there were no menus. We had heard people say they tried to order room service, but nothing ever came.

BARS: The bars were OK. They were always running of things. It didn’t make much sense. One bar might have water but another doesn’t. I honestly think it depends on the bartender and how they prefer to stock their bar. Felix and Ki were the best bar tenders. They always had a fully stocked bar and strong pours. They were super friendly and everyone had a great time when they were behind the bar. Other bartenders would barely even smile at you. One day both bars at the pool were out of rum. How can you be out of rum in the Caribbean?!? Another day, the pool bars were out of bottled water. A few days out of the week, they ran out of cold beer. The resort advertised specialty drinks in their daily newsletter. Often, the bars were out of an ingredient to make those. And I am not saying they ran out of things at 6pm. No, the bars would be out of something at 10am!! No bottled water at 10am was just ridiculous! The pool was a shuttle ride from the lobby so it was awfully inconvenient to go back there for water.

POOL and BEACH: The pool was freezing. Hardly anyone swam in it. It warmed up a bit by the end of the week but even then you would only see a few people in the pool. Quite a few guests would save their chairs all day with towels. The resort really shouldn’t let folks do that. I never saw any staff members picking up towels off empty chairs. Some towels sat on chairs for hours. It was hard to tell if maybe those people had just gone for the day. There was no staff to help with moving around the large umbrellas. There was only one day during the week I saw waiters around the pool area. The beach had plenty of sun and shade. The beach is quite rocky and I would recommend water shoes.

STAFF: We had a stroller with us and it had to be transported onto the shuttle to go to the beach or the pool. Some drivers were so rude; they didn’t even offer to help with the stroller. When we asked the one driver, he rolled his eyes like we were bothering him. There was one driver who was really nice and always got out to help us load the stroller. There was a lot of other staff who just seemed miserable. One staff member told me they haven’t gotten paid in a month. Most just didn’t seem happy with the management transition. One waiter we had was amazing. His name was Swanye. He always remembered our names. He was very polite and always smiling. There wasn’t much entertainment. I saw some of the entertainment staff walking around but they didn’t seem very enthusiastic about recruiting people for activities. One night they had a Carnival night. It was a short show but the girls in it were fun. I feel like the quality of vacation you have at this resort depends on the staff you interact with.

RESTAURANTS: The food was good but there wasn’t a lot of variety. Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day. You could get made-to-order omelets, Belgian waffles, pancakes, French toast, made-to-order eggs, fruit, pastries, oatmeal, etc. They had a variety of juices as well as champagne and vodka. Only two places were open for Lunch. The Barefoot grill made burgers, mahi-mahi sandwich, or wraps. There were only about 6 things on the menu. Everything was served with chips. The Market Café was open for lunch and dinner. For lunch, they usually had pizza, salad, basic pasta and few other items. We only ate at the Market Café buffet once for dinner. It wasn’t that great. Portofino was just a fancier buffet that served the same things every night. Flies were always buzzing around the buffets. We ate at the Japanese Restaurant once. We didn’t do hibachi because you had to make a reservation and we never got around to it. The food was ok there. We didn’t eat at the French restaurant because it’s adults only. We tried to eat at the Seaside grill but they only had one waitress and we didn’t want to wait. Dinner didn’t start until 6pm which made it difficult to get our baby in bed by 7 or 7:30. We always had to rush through dinner. The Coco Café was a nice place for coffee, tea, and pastries. It would have been nice if they had grab-and-go sandwiches but they didn’t. The only cold non-coffee drinks they had were water and iced lemonade. I did read the menus every day for all the restaurants and they never really changed much. The restaurants often ran out of things too. Some night you got a dinner roll, and some nights you didn’t.

I wasn’t very impressed with this resort. I had read reviews prior to our trip so I knew what to expect. We still had a nice vacation but for the money we paid to stay at Dreams, I expected better. If I had never stayed at a Dreams before, this would have certainly been my last time. Hopefully Dreams will step it up a bit and get this place up to par with the rest of their resorts. Otherwise, they are going to turn a lot of people off. They really should have just closed the resort for a few months and finished renovations.

Room Tip: Ask for a FULLY renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

They have one bartender for all the guests at each bar, the food is below average, people are nice but still nothing I can really say good about them, I wouldn't go back. Thank God it was a free trip.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I just got home from staying here for 5 days. I loved it! First of all- the staff was absolutely excellent! I don't believe I have ever experienced such nice accommodating people anywhere.
Our room view was exquisite. If you stay here go for the ocean view. The room itself was nice and clean and very spacious. The beds were very comfortable. The mini fridge was well stocked. The only problem was the toilet as it had a bit of a problem filling up with water. This was a very small problem as we didn't hang out in our room all day- you'd be crazy to with the beautiful scenery and beach!
The restaurants were great and very accommodating. There was plenty of food to fill you up with a nice selection. I highly recommend the Barefoot Grill. They had terrific burgers and their mahi mahi sandwich was great.
The bars were good, the liquor selection was spotty. The selection was different in each bar. Sometimes they would run out of a specific brand of beer, but they had others to choose from so no big deal. I was happy and the staff made an effort to keep everyone that way.
They had a great coffee bar where they served all the usual things- espresso, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. this was also part of the all-inclusive.
The property was gorgeous! The beach was absolutely beautiful with plenty of sun or shade. The water was the clean, clear and turquoise water you expect to see in the Caribbean. The flora was fantastic, plenty of thick vegetation everywhere.
It was fun to see wild iguanas and chickens hanging out. It really made the "island" feel.
They are still in the process of renovations. This was not a problem. No noise and the workers were very nice and stayed out of the way. You can tell the building is older, but they're really working on improving it. It will be great to see it when it is completed.
I definitely plan to visit again and bring more friends and family. It's sad to see so many negative reviews, but I guess you can't please everyone. Some people just love to complain.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Summary: average rooms, great view, great food at breakfast and dinner, poor bartending and mixed drinks.

I stayed at the dreams resort for nearly a week. I was very scared what we might find and came prepared with phone numbers for the agency that booked us, names of nearby hotels we were prepared to move to, etc. None of that was needed though. I think because we came in with low expectations that helped a lot. The hotel is transforming into a four star hotel and most of the work is already complete. Most of the resort areas have been refurbished, new furniture, new paint, new management and a manager in hand at the restaurants during dinner giving pointers to wait staff and checking in with guests, etc.

Check in was smooth. Norris showed us to our rooms, taking our bags, and gave us a quick tour of the property. He pointed out the islands we could see off our balcony in the room and was very friendly and great to deal with. I'd recommend rooms in the 530s, 630s, or 730s as they look out onto the ocean with views of St. John and other islands as well as the sunrise. Rooms in the 520s, 620s, and 720s look out onto the bay (also ocean) and towards coki beach. Also a nice view. Other room numbers may have a pool view, interior island view, etc. which is also beautiful.

The week we were here was extremely windy which made the beach and chairs closest to the beach uncomfortable for us. We stayed further inland on the other side of the pool which was quieter and not as busy. Around 3:30pm they always seemed to crank up the reggae and soca music to deafening levels at the pool bar so we that's another reason we preferred to be farther away.

The beach is not impressive. You need water shoes to go in the ocean which was probably around 80 degrees. There is coral right off the beach so you can snorkel although I didn't see much. I'd recommend going elsewhere for a nicer beach and better snorkelling. Perhaps Magen's Bay and Coki beach respectively.

The rooms look like they have some new furniture, a new paint job which makes a big difference, new tile flooring and new bathroom vanities. The tile in the shower floor, in room fridge, and safe were all old. The safe wasn't bolted to the floor and was dirty inside. We still used it though. While some improvements can be made it was still fairly nice. We also enjoyed leaving the patio door open all day and night and just leaving the ceiling fan running without any AC.

One really really nice thing is that the in room fridge has beer, water, juice bottles, and soda restocked daily. They also leave Pringles and chocolate bars, and M&Ms, full size packages, in the room. They also have a small coffee shop type counter where you can get pastries, sandwiches, salads, juice bottles, powerade, fuze, water, coffee, etc. All of it can be packaged to go. This was great because for a day at the beach, we would just pack up some water, beer, and sandwiches and take lunch to go. Note that the sandwiches and salads didn't come out till around 11am though in case that's what you wanted to take with you. There were otherwise pastries, bagels, etc. available. At the restaurant by the pool they also had paper plates and gave people tin foil if you wanted to take a plate to go from the buffet. That allows you to eat in your room or go where you'd like with it. That started around 10:30 or 11am as well.

There are a couple places in the resort where it smells horrible. The first is going down the stairs next to the main building where reception is which we did regularly to get to our building. The second is on the stairs that lead down to the pool. It really stank and perhaps like sewage. Everywhere else it was fine.

The restaurant used for breakfast, Portofino, was nice. We sat outside on the balcony each morning and ordered off the menu but went to the continental buffet for fruit. They also had cold cuts, cheese, smoked salmon, and pastries. The menu offered pancakes, French toast, omelettes, eggs as you'd like, bacon, etc.

The 3 restaurants we went to for dinner are Portofino, Italian cuisine, which we were not pleased with so never went back. They do have a salad bar though which had a decent selection. We also went to the Japanese restaurant twice, called Himitsu, and it was good. It's not the same quality as Japanese food back home but for the carribean I'd consider it good. They had teppanyaki, sushi, sashimi, rolls etc. We also went to the French restaurant, called Bordeaux, twice. The manager who is French, is fantastic at greeting guests and checking in them. The food was excellent here, on par with nice restaurants back home. It was good for French onion soup, escargot, steak, grouper, etc.

Their bar service here is lacking. Drinks are made using the horrible pre mixed bottles you buy at Walmart. It's the Mrs T brand if you haven't tasted them before. Absolutely horrible. They use them for margaritas, daiquiris, and other mixed drinks. If you have a simple drink such as gin and tonic it still won't taste great but passable. They make piña colada okay, and a good BBC (banana baileys coconut).

Overall I would return to Dreams once their renovations are complete as I think they have the potential to be a solid 4 star resort.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!