“very good room and fantastic ocean view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Sugar Bay

You added Dreams Sugar Bay to your Saves list
Dreams Sugar Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Nassau, New Providence Island
“very good room and fantastic ocean view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

good experience while booking an oceanfront room - very confortable bed and bathroom - very good wifi (it was not so nice in others usvi hotels) - large TV.
for beach lovers : not the best but they have a pool. All inclusive even drinks

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

We went to Sugar Bay for 5 nights. Last week
Food was Excellent not one complaint .
Accommodation view and room lovely.
Geoff Hume was so helpful and I thank him for accommodating us and making our stay so wonderful.
Renovation workers were not in our way if were , were very polite.
Staff - very friendly.
I'm sure once renovation is complete it will be even better.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Okay I really don't get what people are complaining about in all of the reviews. There has not been one thing wrong with this resort.

1. Food is excellent and plentiful. Some restaurants were closed on certain days but that doesn't mean you have no options. If one place is closed, go to the other 3-4 that are open. Breakfast had a ton of options from scrambled eggs, omelet station to make your own bloody mary/mimosas.

2. People.. there IS ROOM SERVICE... DIAL 2680!! If you don't have a menu in the room, someone will come give you one withing 5 minutes like they did for me. Maybe ASK if they have room service before saying they don't? Had a pizza delivered to my room at 11:30 and it tasted delish.

3. Activities: They have a list of activities that happen each day that you can get at the front desk. The pool area ALWAYS has something going on. Maybe people missed the activity because they weren't by the pool or wherever else they had something going on? Don't know what those reviewers were talking about because as I write this there is music coming from the pool.

4. Check in was smooth and no issues at all. There were two beach towels in my room and when we used ours we just went to the front desk and got two more. We were never told they had no towels.

5. Construction: Okay, there is some construction, but it's not like they have big cranes roaming the property. The construction we witnessed were rooms being renovated with doors open to that rooms construction. There weren't workers all over the place with drills, hammers etc. Not once did I hear construction going on or was I disturbed by it.

6. The pool: I come from Massachusetts and if you think THIS pool water is cold then you've never been in a cold pool before. Besides if you don't want to go in the pool, go to the beach which is 10 feet away, with awesome lounge chairs and friendly people that come by to refill your drinks.

7. The views are stunning. I am writing this from my balcony as I drink from my well stocked mini bar.

If you have questions please feel free to ask me. I am here now and leave on Saturday. Don't listen to the negative nellies.

Room Tip: Don't listen to the negative reviews
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I was really leary of this hotel after reading all the reviews. It was better than I expected but not up to Dreams standards yet. There were renovations going on and you can tell they are trying to get the property up to the Dreams standards. Craftsmanship on the renovations leaves a lot to be desired. Pool area was nice and the beach small but adequate for the property. Drinks were decent and never had problems getting drinks. The food for us left a lot to be desired. We are more meat and potatoes type of people and these types of choices were few and far between. The menus never changed and seemed to have the same 4 or 5 choices. The breakfast buffet was good. Barefoot grill was good, but again the same four options everyday. Little to no entertainment throughout the day. Was a nice play to sit at the beach and read and relax. St Thomas overall really didn't meet my expectations and from what we saw of the island, this resort was probably one of the nicer resorts. We never had any problems with the free Wi-Fi so that was nice.

northport, n.y.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed for 1 night ., went to Jost Van Dyke for 3 nts and came back for 3 nights.... the first nights stay we had an oceanview renovatede room... The room was nice but the construction was a bit messy with paint and grout all over the tiles and floor.... We had little bottles of alcohol and some snacks along with the drinks on the mini fridge. The second room we had didn't have a water view and the bathroom was renovated but had a shower curtain not glass doors... Really. Also , there were no snacks or mini alcohol bottles, no biggie... the property is in the middle of renovation but we honestly didn't hear noise but did see the workmen, again, no biggie. The one thing that struck me as odd was the way the buildings are set up , there's a row of buildings in the front facing the pool/ beach area then across a walkway is the other building. You had to walk through the front building to get to the pool and some restaraunts if you didn't take the shuttle. Well, those were the rooms being worked on. You would think they'd upgrade the better located rooms first especially because the doors and hallways were very run down and most guests will see that on their way to the pool... Just an observation...
All the employees were super nice and accommodating.
We ate at bordoux and the Italian restaraunts.... They change the menus everyday. The Italian restaraunt is really a buffet that has themes each night, like crab leg and filet mignon but you can order from 4 pastas off the menu.. It's a little wired but the antipasto bar was nice.. Bordeaux was really good!!!! The first night we both got onion soup, yum and the beef which was really short ribs and they were excellent!!!
We wanted to eat at Oceania or the grill by the pool but they were both closed that night.
Oh... I almost forgot... The cakes, carrot, chocolate and red velvet..OMG!!!!! To die for!
Another bummer was that the bars weren't consistent on the brands they carried and the bar by the pool buffet was the worst offender....
My husband and I are big fans of this company and have to been to over 10 of their resorts and although we enjoyed our stay , we both felt it wasn't up to the Dreams/ Amresort standard,.. Would I go back, yes, but for a short stay.

Chelsea, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

ignore all bad reviews. 4 star property at 3 star prices!! first negative. if you are on beach facing bay,enter water on left side to avoid rocks. otherwise,bring rubber soles. good news. excellent food and the best restaurant bordeaux. server is 5 star in.lobby bar look for michelle on bar and freddie on piano. also excellent co-host.renovation going on and very low key. people using property are aware of work and still nit-pick. plus all the staff go out of the way to help you. enjoy would be $500 a night on st john with no food or booze.

Room Tip: pay more money or get out of room and enjoy beach,pool,health club
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I definitely agree that this is a 3 star property with a 5 star view. It has the potential to become much more, but currently with the ongoing renovations, mediocre accommodations & lack of room service left a lot to be desired. The best part of the resort was the breakfast and the staff/locals. In particular, Tina in the breakfast area was always pleasant and helpful. On a positive note, the free shuttle service around the area was helpful and it is located in a relatively safe area. Overall, I am not impressed by the Dreams brand of resorts. Unless it is Secrets or Zoetry, I have found the majority of the AMResorts subpar.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Sugar Bay? Share your experiences!