“Needs new paint, new shrubs...but still has that view!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sugar Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in East End
Oley, Pennsylvania
“Needs new paint, new shrubs...but still has that view!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sugar Bay resort when it was operated by Wyndham in 2007, 2009 and 2010. We had a great time with each visit and were eager to see what changes were made since dropping the affiliation with Wyndham resorts. Unfortunately, I don’t have many positive changes to report. Bear in mind when reading this that we are biased in that we have stayed at this resort numerous times and looking back, we can now see the downward spiral that this resort is on!

1. Courtesy of Staff: I paid quite a bit of attention to this due to all the negative comments on TA posts. We had no difficulty with check-in, check-out, or waitstaff. The housekeeping staff was great – I did tip on a daily basis and left them notes, all of which were taken care of with the next visit. We reported to the front desk that our vanity light bulb needed to be replaced and it was completed by the time we returned to our room that afternoon.

2. Food: We had the “breakfast only” plan, so I cannot comment on dinners – however, I do have quite a bit to say about the breakfast buffet. In 2007, this resort provided a complete fruit bar full of tropical fruit for breakfast and interesting choices for a hot breakfast (eggs benedict, breakfast burrito). We loved it! Now, you get a bare bones egg, bacon, potato, and either French toast or pancake. The fruit looked like it came out of a can. The cereal selection was poor – late in the week they ran out of boxed cereal and just dumped a box of cheerios in a bowl for you to scoop out yourself. The bowls were nonexistent – you ate your fruit, cereal out of a plastic bowl (similar to the ones used at a deli). 9/10 times there were no spoons – a basket of plastic spoons was next to the cereal, but it was usually empty. I grew tired of asking for a spoon at a breakfast buffet! Plastic placemats, paper napkins and no flowers at the tables – all changes since Wyndham is not involved. All in all, it wasn’t horrible, but nothing like it could be, or was. As for dinner, I heard other All Inclusive guests complain that there usually is one restaurant open for dinner at a time. It usually was the Manor House, which is always a buffet. The resort points out on check-in that there is a dress code to dinner at their restaurants – pants and shoes for men, namely. I found it interesting that there is a dress code to eat at a buffet but no dress code at some of the island’s more elegant restaurants (The Cellar, Pesce). Of course, we also saw guests ignoring the rules. We were very glad to have done the breakfast only plan!

3. Restaurants: There are some great restaurants in the area, but you either need to taxi or rent a car to get there. Red Hook is 5 min away and home to a strip of great places to eat (see my reviews for Fish Tails, Big Bamboo, The Cellar, Pesce). We also went to Charlotte Amalie and had lunch at Gladys’ Café and The Greenhouse. Excellent, fresh food compared to the “boxed” stuff they serve at the resort. The downside is the cost of the taxi ride - $5 each person each way to Red Hook, $10 each person each way to Charlotte Amalie. With tip, that adds up!

4. Activities: We spent afternoons at Coki Beach (say hi to Gordon and make sure to have one of his delicious smoothies!), Magen’s Bay, ferried to St. John for the day, and did the Zip line tour. If you haven’t been to St. Thomas before, Tropic Tours runs a “St. Thomas tour” and a “St. John tour” that I would highly recommend.

5. Rum: Cruzan Rum is the best! Stop in at the Pueblo at get it at $6-$7 a liter. Don’t spend twice that at the gift shop!

Some of the negative reviews I read on TA centered around the condition of the resort. I agree, this resort needs a facelift. Some basic maintenance is not being done (shower heads, toilets, etc). However, the new swim up bar looks great, the pools are wonderful. The loungers by the pool are new as are the chairs on our balcony – very comfy for reading! The rooms are comfortable and we liked the double vanities and mini fridge. The best part is that view! We have paid for ocean view rooms at other Caribbean resorts and got a view of a concrete wall (see review for Sonesta Great Bay: St. Maarten) - we always get a bay view room at Sugar Bay and it is unbelievable! There really isn’t a bad view from anywhere at this resort. It all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.

Room Tip: No need to spend extra on an ocean view room - bay view is great!

2,597 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My sister and I stayed here on a five day deal we got on Travelzoo. For the price we paid, we couldn't go wrong - I think it was about $850 per person including the flight. However, if I was visiting St. Thomas without an incredible deal, Sugar Bar would not be high on my list. The all inclusive aspect is nice, but it means that the service is pretty lackluster and you have to fight the herd of cattle to get breakfast in the morning or a drink at the bar.

The property itself needs some updating. Our room had multiple lights out, which you would think the house keeping would change when they come everyday. We had drawers that wouldn't stay shut and some weird stains on our carpet and bed comforter.

However, that being said, the view from the room is amazing, there are multiple pools onsite, iguana feeding, tennis, basketball, cornhole, jenga, foosball, pool, a casino, and plenty of (free) drinks.

Overall we had a lot of fun, but the service isn't great, the meals are crowded, and the property needs some TLC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Sugar Bay. I had contacted the resort before our trip and notified them it was our anniversary. I spoke to Kashmie and he was very helpful in making our trip memorable! Gloria and Judy were also helpful with our reservation requests. Kashmie went above and beyond to make sure we really enjoyed our stay! Our room 341 was awesome! It overlooked beautiful St. John! The bartender Carolyn at the swim up bar was very nice. Heather, the waitress at the pool was so nice! We loved the waterfalls at the pool! We made reservations at Blue Currents Restaurant and it was the best restaurant there! Breakfast buffet was always great! We loved feeding the iguanas on the property every morning on the trail by the pool at 10:30. The ducks at the beach were cool too. Not messy either. We took a 4 hour sail boat ride on the Coconut in front of our beach. The captain and first mate were awesome and the ride to St. John was awesome. We took a 5 minute ride to Red Hook and caught a 20 minute Ferry ride to St. John. We ate lunch at The Beach Bar right off the Ferry. Best Ahi Tuna I ever had! Took a taxi to Trunk Bay and then Cinnamon Bay. Cinnamon Bay was absolutely out of this world gorgeous! We swam and laid out on the beach there. We took a ride to Red Hook one night and hung out at Molly Malones Carribean Saloon, and Duffy's Love Shack. Wed is ladies night at Duffy's so free drinks after 9:00 pm for the ladies and we danced all night! Weather was sunny and 82 everyday. Again, a huge thanks to Kashmie for all his work! So glad we stayed there and look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Room 341 - double beds and room 348 King bed overlooking St. John is the best! Quiet rooms too! Go...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our vacation at Sugar Bay. We had a fantastic time and would definitely return. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was fantastic and everything worked fine: safe, t.v. (though we didn't use this much) ect. It did have a faint musty smell when we first entered, but once we opened the balcony door it was fine. The view was breathtaking. We booked an ocean view room, and really we got the best of both worlds as we could see the bay when looking left and the ocean and other islands when looking right from the balcony. It was perfect.

We loved the beach and pool areas. The beach was a little rocky when you're trying to enter the water, but once you got out past that it was fine. My husband and I did not snorkel here, but we still saw lots of fish swimming around us. There were also plenty of chairs available in both the pool and beach areas and lots of shade available as well. We particularly liked the hammock on the beach and the pool table located under the waterfalls.

This was the first time we have tried an all inclusive package and thought it was well worth it. The pool bar was an awesome place to hang out for a bit and meet new people. We also didn't mind the food, in fact we really liked all the food we had while at the resort, however we're very plain eaters. If you're looking for more exotic or local types of food to be served, then perhaps the all inclusive package might not be the best deal.

Overall we really liked Sugar Bay, it was exactly what we wanted in a vacation spot.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Solid resort with excellent views from the main restaurant and balconies, even better than the pictures. Polite staff. spacious rooms and wifi here and there. Beach was small but not as small as some would lead you to believe. Beach side drink service from Heather made it even better than we hoped. Thanks to Heather there was really no need to leave the beach area as she attended to your drink orders in a friendly and fun way. We also appreciated the shady areas of the beach and the iguanas too. Beach and balcony views to other nearby islands and St Johns made the view one of the best I have seen in my many travels down south.

The tennis and mini putt are first rate and the spa and fitness areas very good as well. Our week long trip in late Feb 2013 was relaxing, friendly with better then average food, a really good blues band one night too. Local Island food was excellent and would have liked to have seen more of that on the every day menu (vs the one night featuring poolside buffet and carib entertainment).

Again special shout out to Heather, our beach pal and best server in the USVI for adding the personal touch plus others who tried hard to keep you relaxed and in vacay mode all week long.
Sugar Bay is sweet enough to recommend to tripadivsor readers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

3.5 stars is about right for this resort. It could easily be 4.0 stars if it just tried a little harder. First, the good stuff. For Caribbean hotel, the room was spacious and well-appointed with a great view of the water. The hotel lobby is as nice as it looks in the pictures. The staff at the lobby were really good and were able to answer all the questions I posed.

What I didn't like was that there were 3 of us in room, and even though I spent $25/night extra for a rollaway bed, it was hard to get the room outfitted for 3 people. Just two towels per day for us. I explained the problem at the front desk but they didn't have towels there, so the maid brought 2 more the next day. No extra washcloths, drinking glass, or soap. I was very frustrating and others here have complained about the same thing.

Also, I'm glad I didn't get the all-inclusive package. We ate at a couple of the resort restaurants anyway and the food wasn't bad but nothing memorable. Better to skip the all-inclusive and dine in Red-Hook, or wherever your travels take you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Guilford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms all inclusive. Our kids room was nicely appointed in contrast our room had no rug or tile just polished concrete and there was No clock and dead bugs squished on the ceiling. There is no door to the bathroom it is open to the rest of the room. On addition the handle in the shower was broken and there is no shelf or spit to put soap. Both phones did not work and tv reception was sketchy. These are all small things but they add up.

We found the staff to be friendly however the food is substandard with little options available for dinner. As others have mentioned they do run put of towels.

You can make due with staying here however I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Sugar Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!