“Mixed feelings?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sugar Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Williston, North Dakota
“Mixed feelings?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This location of the resort was awsome. Our rooms overlooking the ocean was just as cool. The rooms were nice, the balcony view was great. The ground were well kept.
That being said there were alot of corners being cut. The waterfalls by the pools never worked the whole week. The swim up bar was only open half the week and only for a few hours. They had a pizza place by the pool that was never open. There was some pool side games but most needed fixing. The pool table was worn out with broken pool sticks. The table tennis had broken paddles. The nicest restaurant was only open on certain days, we never got to eat there becouse the first few days we tried they were full (other then 9 pm), then the last two days they were closed. We did the all inclusive, it was ok the first few days but it gets old. The bar only had 3 beer choices 1.)Budwieser (no bud light), 2.)Coors light, 3.)Caribe (thailand beer).They only had cheap bar pour whiskey. Like most all inclusive places you have to tip big to get service becouse they are in no hurry to give free drinks away.
Again this was an amazing location with alot of potential. I hope they do some updating. I would like to come back but I'll be asking some questions before I do.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a long walk to the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SugarBay, Sales Manager at Sugar Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for the comments on your February visit. We are pleased that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and the view from your balcony. As you mentioned, the resort is in a great location, within a few minutes you can enjoy Red Hook, several beaches, Coral World or a quick ferry ride to ST John.

The pool waterfalls are definitely a favorite resort attraction and we apologize that they were not in operation during your stay. On an island like ST Thomas, it is sometimes difficult to obtain replacement parts so additional time for shipping and clearing customs is required before repairs can be made. Thankfully, the waterfalls are back in operation for our guests to enjoy.

Your comments will be directed to the departments mentioned, so that further improvements may be made. We want our guests to enjoy their experience while at Sugar Bay.

The Insight, lists the daily dining options and scheduled activities. It is posted around the resort and also available to guests at the Front Desk and Bellstand. The hours and days of operation for venues and activities may vary. For example; the Swim Up Bar, generally open in the afternoon may not be open due to weather/ wind but you may still receive service from the Turtle Rock Bar (only steps away) which opens daily at 10:30AM.

We are sorry you were unable to dine at Blue Currents while you were here. It is a more intimate dining experience with limited seating, so reservations are required for the dinner service which is offered five nights per week. The 7:30 seating fills up quickly so 6:00 and 9:00pm seatings are sometimes more available.Pimentos near Mangrove now offers casual dining poolside, five evenings per week plus Sunday afternoon with options ranging from Tapas to Mixed Grill and Specialty Cuisine.

The currently offered Liquor and Beer (Budweiser and Coors Light for domestic plus Carib - Caribbean produced in Trinadad) selections are our most requested. If preferred a guest may order premium liquors for an additional charge. For guests who are on the All Inclusive Plan gratuities are included, although some guests choose to tip more than the included 15%.

We hope that you will consider visiting Sugar Bay Resort again and experience our continual improvements.

Sonya Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Franklin, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

After I got called two days before I was scheduled to leave on a cruise notifying me that the trip was cancelled due to the ship breaking down, I booked the all inclusive package at sugarbay. The food is great, the view is terrific along with the grounds however the resort left much to be desired. The wait staff for the most part had to be the worst staff I have ever had! I was highly disappointed and if you have a bracelet on for being all inclusive, you might as well forget getting any service at all. The activities they plan are also poorly thought out and everything shuts down at night leaving barely hardly any options Of things to do. The hotel did not have my reservation upon arrival even though I had the confirmation number in hand and I made dinner reservations the first night I arrived for the day of my birthday, 4 days later, which is by the way today and they argued with me that I never called and made the reservations. For a last minute vacation option it was great to get away but I would never book this resort again.

• Stayed March 2013
We appreciate the feedback from your recent stay. We apologize that you experienced some issues while visiting, your comments will be directed to the mangers of departments mentioned. These points will be addressed in order to enhance our customer service. We are pleased that you enjoyed our great views and grounds as well as the food on the resort. We hope that you will reconsider and visit Sugar Bay again and experience our improvements.

Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our firs trip to an island ever, and we are soooo glad we chose this destination!! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect vacation. The island of St. Thomas is gorgeous, and there are so many fun things to do. Sugar Bay Resort and Spa was the BEST all around!! The food there was out of this world, from the buffets to the sit down dinners. I can't compliment the staff enough, everyone was very helpfl and friendly (Especially Carolyn, in the wet bar)!!! I would definately recommend this vacation to anyoe and my family and I will absolutely be back. I would also recommend doing the all-inclusive package!!

Room Tip: We did the ocean view room with King size bed, The view was unbeleivable and the rooms are clean and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SugarBay, Sales Manager at Sugar Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
We really appreciate your taking the time to review your stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the service and the meal options. You serve as a great spokes-person for both Sugar Bay Resort and ST Thomas! Please visit again soon.

Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I had decided not to go away this Spring, but then he saw the Cheap Caribbean ad. I checked it out and called for more information and help in selecting a location. We loved the all-inclusive option with airfare, too. I requested an ocean view with balcony, and wow, did we ever get a great view! We could see St. John from our balcony, and leaving the drapes open at night, I woke up to a lovely sunrise each morning.
We were not greeted at our arrival at the airport, but the included transfer company was easy to find. We did have to carry some of our own luggage to the shuttle bus. I think it would have enhanced our first view of the island if the driver had welcomed all of us and given some travelog information as we drove through the island to the resort. Also, the resort might want to consider an informative flyer about the island and it's history. They could leave it in each guest room.
The dining options were good. The buffet breakfast each morning had a lot of choices, but they could have kept the plates heated, because by the time you got back to your table, the eggs were cold. Also, the rolls, muffins, and pastries would have tasted better if they were warmed.
Dinner at the restaurant by the pools was quite good. You had to make a reservation in order to get a table. They said that the dinner dress code was semi formal, so we dressed up, but they still allowed guests to come in flip-flops and short shorts and tank tops. That kind of killed the ambiance. However, the food was good.
We found that we got better deals on tours if we booked them ourselves by researching first online, then calling. And the ferry to St. John was less expensive ($6 per person each way) from Red Hook than from Charlotte Amalie--also only 7 minutes by cab ($5 per person) from the resort.
Even though all the gratuities were included for the Resort's employees, we still tipped them for their services--they deserved it!
My advice is try not to book your vacation during Spring Break! As retirees, we didn't appreciate the young ladies staying next door to our room coming in every night around 2am and yelling at each other. By the end of our stay, we knew more about them than we wanted!
The grounds are beautifully groomed and the wildlife -iguanas and ducks and lizards are charming--very tropical!
The guest rooms are quite comfortable. However, we did notice a few bugs around. I think they got in while the room was being cleaned every day. Also, the bottom of the door did not have a rubber flange to make a tight seal when the door was closed.
However, we thoroughly enjoyed our getaway and all in all, I would recommend Sugar Bay Resort, especially for young adults and families.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SugarBay, Sales Manager at Sugar Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We appreciate you responding on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at our resort. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the great view of St John from your Ocean View room, it really is amazing.
ST Thomas has many transportation providers used by many tour operators, so you may like to forward those comments to Cheap Caribbean also.
Sugar Bay Resort's great location near Red Hook is perfect for a trip to ST John by ferry. We also have a full service Tour Desk available to assist guests in planning all types of excursions and boat trips that leave directly from our property.
Thank you for your additional comments, they will be forwarded to the departments mentioned. Although gratuities are included with the All Inclusive, I am sure the staff appreciated you rewarding exceptional service. Thank you for recommending Sugar Bay to future guests!

Beecher, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Awesome, GREAT cannot wait to go back for 3rd time. great stay for familys, couples and or honeymooners. Weddings on the beach were beautiful. Food was fantastic, top beef and fish and fruit. pastries , breakfast always way too much to choose from. we went all inclusive you will NOT reegret going this way. Adults to children there was something for everyone. Excellent staff on all levels. Bar staff great Hi Ladies at pool bars. Activites at resort juat great, snorkleing off the Sugar Bay beach, beautiful fish.and shells. Great big roooms very very clean and air conditioned.

Room Tip: Second we time in 1 year we have stayed here. family of 4. Food, drinks,love the bar staff hi ladie...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your second stay with us. We are always pleased to hear from our guests and it is especially nice when they are repeat guests! We definitely offer something for visitors of all ages from food choices to activities. It is nice that you took time to enjoy some great snorkeling and shelling from our beach, while you were here. The staff will definitely appreciate hearing your positive comments regarding service, food and rooms ! We hope your third visit is soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic service and great location. The water along the beach is stunning. The hotel food is good and decently priced. Rooms are a little outdated, but the a/c is cold and the water hot. In room mini fridge a plus. The pool area is spacious with ping ping and a pool table and free WiFi in the lobby. It's a great family retreat, however, the extensive size of the property and numerous walkways and stairs would make it difficult, at least tiresome for the elderly and handicapped.
Overall, A, and about US$15 to the airport.

• Stayed March 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your visit. We are pleased you enjoyed the service and great location. As you mentioned, there are definitely some stunning water views from the resort. Although Sugar Bay covers over 20 acres, our bellman are pleased to assist any guests with transportation around the property as well as to and from their rooms. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

As always whenever I visit St. Thomas, Sugar Bay Resort is where I choose to stay. The staff is very accommodating, the rooms are clean and bright, and the atmosphere suggests fun, relaxation and vacation!! I especially wanted to make mention of a few staff members on my review because they really tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Morris at the front office always had a smile every time he greeted us, and was genuinely caring about how we were enjoying our stay. Vernice at breakfast was attentive, diligent, and catered to our every need. I watched her with the staff making sure all guests had what they needed, and breakfast was absolutely delicious! Other staff members at the poolside as well as the restaurants always made us feel like they were one step ahead of us, and truly tried to make our experience most memorable.

I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone. Couples, singles, families....there's a lot of activities for everyone to do, and while on our stay I witnessed several weddings....very romantic and picturesque.....and because the rooms are on the hill tops, my husband and I stared out at the water for hours, holding hands and enjoying life's precious moments. It really gave us a chance to reconnect with each other, so for that I say "Thank You" Sugar Bay....

Room Tip: A room with the beach view is always great and you also get the cool island breeze. Definitely try t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We love to hear from repeat guests! Thank you for your great comments on some of our star employees. We will make sure they are recognized for their exceptional customer service. We certainly appreciate you recommending Sugar Bay to future guests. It is nice to hear you were able to enjoy some of our beautiful weddings during your stay. We offer Beach and ST John Terrace as sites for both Weddings and Vow Renewals. Think about booking a Vow-renewal with us for your next anniversary!

Sonya Smith

Been to Sugar Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!