My wife and I went to Sugar Bay for our honeymoon. We took advantage of a Living Social special deal and had a wonderful time. We read the good, the bad and the ugly reviews and were a little nervous, but ended up enjoying every moment of the stay. We had an oceanview room and the view was spectacular! The only thing I can say about the negative reviews is that perhaps the atmosphere changes during the peak season. We were there 9/8-9/12 and didn't run into any of the issues we read about-
1) There were always plenty of towels- in the room and at the towel rental by the pool
2) Our AC was always on and the room was nice and cool the entire time
3) The room was clean upon arrival and cleaned each day
4) The employees had excellent customer service in every aspect of the trip- from Ken who took our bags to our room to Cora at the restaurant near the pool who refilled our drinks constantly and made certain we were comfortable.
5) The food was good- we enjoyed dinners at the Manor House and Baci- a good variety with different dinners each night. Breakfast at the Manor House was delicious and the omelet maker was very skilled and entertaining
6) Yes, there were cats and iguanas wandering around the grounds, but they didn't interfere with us at all. In fact, we had to go out of our way to get a cat we liked to come over to us. The iguanas were laid back and cool. In fact we saw more guests bothering the iguanas than iguanas bothering any guests. Leave them alone people, don't splash them with water or chase after them, they are just trying to relax and absorb some warmth by the pool
We booked a snorkel trip aboard the Coconut Catamaran. We were met conveniently on the Sugar Bay Resort beach and taken via sail to Honeymoon Beach for snorkeling and a delicious lunch. Captain Donny and 1st mate Ross were full of stories about their adventures around St Thomas along with stories of the islands' history.
Even though September is the middle of hurricane season in the Virgin Islands, every day was sunny, breezy with temperatures in the mid 80s. Some notes about the trip:
1) Bring your passport or a copy of your birth certificate just in case. A passport isn't necessary, but they may ask for it or the birth certificate when you are leaving.
2) Plan any trips around St Thomas with cab rides in mind. There are $1 "buses" that travel clockwise around the island, but if you need to go the other way (counterclockwise) you will need to take a cab which is charged per person. So it was $2 total for my wife and I to go to Red Hook but $12 ($6ea) to take a cab back to Sugar Bay.
3) Be nice to the employees and they will be nice to you. If the first time they meet you you're complaining about service, or the wait, or how bad your food was, that is how they will remember you. Be nice, say good morning and ask how they are doing. Leave a little tip if they are friendly and give good service (yes, your all inclusive includes gratuity, but you don't know how much they see of that. Let them know you appreciate their hard work).
4) Finally- RELAX! You are on vacation. If it takes 10 minutes for your food to come out, sip on your fruity rum drink and enjoy the ocean breeze. You're in paradise! Who cares if your burger takes 5 minutes longer than is does when you're out at Denny's back home!
We loved our stay and will definitely come back in the future.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Hotel
- Wyndham Sugar Bay
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort Spa
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort St Thomas
- Wyndham Hotel St Thomas
- Wyndham St Thomas
- Wyndham East End
- East End Wyndham
- Sugar Bay Resort & Spa St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the Sugar Bay Resort & Spa, you can enjoy amenities including gorgeous inter-connecting pools, an award-winning spa, and private balconies! This St. Thomas resort is located just 15 minutes from the famous Mahogany Run Golf Course. Sugar Bay Resort & Spa is located on a secluded white beach with breathtaking, panoramic ocean, bay, and mountain views. The Sugar Bay Resort & Spa is the perfect destination for your next St. Thomas vacation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, JackRabbit Systems, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Tingo, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Otel and Venere so you can book your Sugar Bay Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.