“great pasta” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in East End
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Cruz Bay, St. John
“great pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We live in St Thomas and enjoy a treat every now and again when we go to East End Cafe. Service is always good and the food is fantastic. Wine, salad, pasta... we have never had anything that we didnt enjoy while dining at East End Cafe.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington, DC
“Simply tasty italian cuisine- a great break from other island spots”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

After several unmemorable meals on the island, my boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised when we stumbled upon the East End Cafe in the Red Hook area (very east side of the island).

We ended up eating at the bar because we didn't know we needed a reservation and were very pleasantly surprised by the tasty italian cuisine which we found. I had the spaghetti and meatballs- delicious, and my boyfriend had the Chicken Lucia- which was awesome (chicken with ricotta cheese, spinach, mozzarella, and a red sauce). This was a much need dining experience after several other mediocre dining experiences we had on the island. Although it's very pricey for italian food, it's worth it- especially if you are going to be on the island for more than a few days.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
usa
“Work in progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

The East End Cafe is transitioning from a relatively nondescript Italian restaurant into something else. What that something else is not yet clear.

The Cafe is adjacent to The Cellar, its sister restaurant and currently the better of the two. The same telephone number serves both restaurants so be specific when you make a reservation.

Recently, the decor of the Cafe has been improved and the chef of the Cellar has also been given responsibility for the Cafe. He has introduced a Specials menu, a useful alternative to the long list of Italian dishes. This second part of the menu remains to be revamped, a process that may include making some pasta on-premise.

On a recent visit, my companion and I chose solely from the specials menu. A lobster ravioli was topped with an excellent tomarot-base sauce but the ravioli seemed heavy and I had to call for a doggy bag to take home half the serving. On inquiry, I discovered the lobster ravioli were sourced in LA.

I ordered elk for my main course. The elk had travelled from New Zealand but was expertly cooked and served on a bed of mashed potato with some interesting greens. My partner did not fare as well, adventurously ordering the meatloaf. Here the prsentation left a lot to be desired as the slice of loaf floated on a bed of mashed potatoes with an enormous onion ring on top. Now it was my companion's turn to call for the doggy bag.

The chef is clearly working hard to experiment and move this restaurant forward. However, although some of the dishes are imaginative, they do not yet always live up to expectations. And sourcing elk and lobster from around the world detracts from the restaurant's ability to offer anything like a true Caribbean experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
islands10
“5 stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

From walking in to exiting, the service was great. By far, favorite restaurant on the island for both lunch and dinner during the week, along with a fantastic brunch on weekends! Recommend to everyone on island, and literally eat there every weekend! Probably the best brunch I have ever had!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Okay at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

The service was good but the food was okay at best. Try next door at their sister restaurant The Cellar for excellent food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere