“Awesome staff, great location, wonderful experience!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Magens Point Resort to your Saves list
Magens Point Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Magens Bay Road, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Magens Bay
“Awesome staff, great location, wonderful experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We spent a week on an RCI exchange at Magens Point Resort. We had an absolutely wonderful time! The staff all deserve honorable mention. Tom was a great activities coordinator, always providing accurate, unbiased information down to directions and parking to the best restaurants on the Island. He also provided us a lot of insider information, like getting down to Magens Point Beach before 8 AM in order to avoid the parking charge. Lori was also a great host and front desk manager as well as Maria and Steffan. Could not have asked for nicer more helpful staff. The guest orientation on Sunday morning was exceptional and gave us a great start to planning our week. They had vendors from all over the island provide brief presentations and opportunities to sign up for trips and excursions. Our room was very basic but served its purpose. Very well kept and clean! We always felt safe and the cats were actually very friendly and never bothersome. Food available at the resort was good. Italian Restaurant attached to the resort was very good with great mojitos and nice staff ! Old Stone Farm House (right down the road is a must). A car is a must and a fun adventure if you are coming from the states. Would highly recommend visiting St. John and the BVI as was recommended by the staff at Magens. All around this was a great place to stay. We would come back in a minute, especially now since we are back on the frozen tundra, with -9 degree air temps. You don't even want to know what the wind chill is! Magens Point Resort is a great place to stay! Thanks again for making this a wonderful vacation!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The resort was very nice. Clean rooms, everything is here in the kitchen to cook meals. Good A/C. Really big balcony overlooking the bay. Staff is always around . I felt safe the whole time I was there. I can't wait to come back here again!

• Stayed January 2013
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sitting on the deck of our unit we watched the sunrise over Magen's Bay. Although reference to construction was mentioned we saw no signs of it during our visit except for the occasional maintenance man working around the property. We were upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom without asking for it. Although signs stated the Internet may not work it was working while we were here. The resort was clean, people were very friendly. The on site Italian rest. Was very nice and had an excellent wine bar. One note.... It's not a property for those who want tons of easy access activity. Although you can walk to Magen's bay you'll need a car or taxi to get other places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Megan's bay ... ( building 3) There are no elevators but staff wil...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
wilkesboro, north carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Magens Point Resort is my kind of place. Laid back, wonderful view of Magens Bay. A small convenience store and coffee shop fill in when the restaurant and bar is closed. I can't say personally that the Italian restaurant is the place to go, but many many visitors say it is great. I can say that the food served at the bar is fantastic, and the drinks are reasonable, especially for St. Thomas. Nice Pool, with a second opening soon. Wanda S. and Viola M. can point you to where you want to go and get you the transportation you need. If you are looking for a palace to stay in for your visit, "this is not the place". But, it you want quiet and comfortable, and a view, this is it. I love this place.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second and third floor if available. These have the best views of Magens Bay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed for a little over a week in October. We brought several family members with us and had three, one bedroom units overlooking Magens Bay. We have been to this resort multiple times over the years and it is by far our favorite place in the Caribbean and in St. Thomas - preferred over Hawaii any day. Our accommodations were clean and comfortable. They have been undergoing some remodeling of the rooms and property, and the changes are very nice. I know that some have complained about the cats and the chickens and roosters on the property but I find these charming characteristics of island life and absolutely not a negative. Additionally, they serve a purpose - this is a tropical location and they serve to keep the insects and such to a minimum. The pool and bar area is very nice and a wonderful place to enjoy a drink and enjoy the beautiful Caribbean nights. The store on-site, the Cup and Cork, is fully stocked with almost anything you need and serve an awesome breakfast burrito. The resort is just a hop-skip & jump from Magens Bay and Magens Bay Park which is an absolutely perfect beach and Udder Delight, with the best milkshakes you have ever tasted. However, I think the crowning point of this resort, is their staff. The front desk staff was pleasant and accommodating. We found that we needed an extra night in order to take advantage of cheaper airfare and Lori Baskin was fantastic in making sure that happened. The bar/restaurant staff was extremely pleasant and the food excellent. If you think you may want a little piece of this heaven, ask to speak with Viola Morten, Director of Member Services. What a charming lady and she will work hard to find something that works for you.

This is a quiet, small resort away from the usual tourist areas. I recommend renting a vehicle if you stay here - although it is only a short drive to Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook, having a car makes getting around easy. We will be back as soon as we possibly can! Love it!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

First a disclaimer... I am a travel snob as my expectations are high due to traveling 40+ weeks a year with my career. Be warned that there are no elevators so it isn't the ideal place if mobility is an issue. My 77 yo grandmother owns a timeshare on the second floor but hasn't been in many years. Upon our arrival, it was apparant that she wouldn't be able to handle the stairs so we asked to be moved. Initially, the front desk lady wasn't accomodating insisting that she knew there were no elevators when she purchased the unit (15 years ago). The next day, Viola got us set up with a ground floor unit.

My mother became severely ill in the middle of the night and we attempted to go to the emergency room in our rental car; however, once outside (3 am) there were no security lights on making it pitch black. We decided to wait until daylight to take her.

Overall, our stay was pleasant with exception of the initial hickups. The resort is very QUAINT. It is older and in desperate need of some repair. I didn't get in the pool but it was nice. We'll def be back to St Thomas but am not crazy about returning to Magens Point Resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

very unsafe! i was robbed twice at this resort and the managers were very unsympathetic. three are cats all over the premises and it's very rowdy at night. one of the employees was banging on my door in the middle of the night and asking me on dates (old enough to be my father). freezing showers. roaches. mold. huge dissapointment

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
beachviews, Owner at Magens Point Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I thought you had already voiced these opinions a few months back, but you have now posted a newspaper clipping without any explanation so for the sake of clarification I would like to say:

1) You left our resort angry because we refused to pay for the tires that were supposedly stolen from the hotel's parking lot, even though it is posted everywhere, like it is posted in every public parking anywhere in the islands and in the States, that you park at your own risk. You were already angry because you had had to pay a big deductible for an incident with your car at the Pueblo Supermarket parking, and promised to discredit my resort anywhere and everywhere if I did not cover the $500 deductible that would have to come out of your pocket to replace the tires. Until that day, you loved to stay at Magens, and were about to renew your lease.

2) It is very discouraging that you post the news about a robbery at gunpoint and compare it to the robbery of two of your tires. My Front Desk clerk and my security guard's lives were at stake that day, so I can't even begin to think how they compare. And while I do not wish to harm the tourism business of these islands that are my livelihood, it would have been fair that you then posted all the other robberies, murders and crimes that have happened on this island in the last year, not just at my resort.

Also, please be informed that for liability reasons there aren't any hotels on this island that hire armed security at any given time.

3) If you did not notify Management about someone (?) knocking at your door during late hours to harass you (?) we do not read minds, and hence you can't expect us to address a PROBLEM THAT WE DID NOT KNOW EXISTED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

4) We are part of a Humane Society Cat Cafe program, it is not secret, we even have it on our website and we have a small donations box at the Front Desk. You knew there were cats in the resort, you stated they did not bother you... I guess until I did not cover that insurance deductible.

You stayed at Magens for several months. You always said you loved it. You even said you liked it because it kept you away from party loving peers. You more than anyone witnessed the amount of renovation --and the transformation-- it underwent during that time. My resort is undeserving of your vilification campaign just because I did not cover the $500 of your insurance deductible.

Regardless, we will continue to move forward, and our staff is deserving of kudos also! For the past two years we have worked diligently at fixing Magens. We still have another year of very hard work, but Magens is slowly stepping into the 21rst century, and while we do not aspire to be a luxurious place, we are certainly a charming, quiet, unpretentious hotel, with the friendliest staff, and with 5 star service, bar none.

Mercedes Shelby
Owner

Been to Magens Point Resort? Share your experiences!