“Wonderful views!” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Virginia Beach,VA
“Wonderful views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The views from Frenchman's Cove are spectacular! We were not disappointed in our 2 bedroom/2 bath villa! The property is rather awkwardly perched on the side of the hill which makes for a great deal of walking to get to the pool, beach, market, and the restaurant. I am a stair person, so it was not a big deal that the elevators are VERY slow.They would benefit from a bit of space management around the pool and restaurant area. The restaurant would benefit from a remodel-it really feels crammed into a corner. Check-in was quick and easy. The staff was friendly and helpful. Daily happy hours at the pool are a plus! We were on the go, so the size of the beach was not an issue. The wonderful views and interesting sights in and out of the harbor make up for the lack of sand. There is ample parking if you rent a car. The neighboring Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Beach are an added bonus. We will return in the future!

Room Tip: We requested a room, but that request was not honored. To minimize walking, try to stay in the Tort...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Room: We were in the Jost Van Dyke building on the second floor (really the third since the parking is under the 1st floor) and our view was great. When you exit the elevator of the Jost building, you just walk across the street and you are at the stairs to walk down for the pool. This resort is build in and on hills so the need for stairs and elevators is a must-have.

We were in a 2 bedroom: The master side has a king size bed and the second bedroom has two queens. The beds were comfortable. I believe I was told that the renovations to the condos will begin this year. The only updating in my opinion might be to replace the living room furniture. The features of the kitchen and bathroom are not outdated in my opinion.

The pool/beach towels were in our room and technically the only towel exchange you get is during the mid-week cleaning. The expectation is that you wash them the other times. We did call and ask for an exchange one other time, which we did get, but I could tell they thought they were doing us a favor. This would be my only gripe. I would like a towel kiosk to trade out for a fresh towel daily.

We own in a newly built tower in Maui and I really didn't feel the Frenchman's Cove is that much of a step down room wise.

Pool: The pool is on a much smaller scale than other Marriot Vacation Club properties. But I happen to really like this pool. 1/2 of the pool is kind of "reserved" for the small slide and volleyball net that is put up. The other 1/2 is for the people who just like to sit in a pool. There is plenty of stair space to sit on in the water.

Beach: The beach is small. But I hope you don't plan on letting this be your only beach destination while in the VIs. We actually didn't spend one day at this beach. We were at the beach every day while on our week-long stay in the VIs but just not this beach. This time on the island we found Lindquist beach, past Red Hook Marina and Sapphire Beach. We basically had the beach to ourselves. It is a pretty long beach for the "beach walkers". On the way to the marina and beach, there is a store called Food Central. We purchased a Styrofoam cooler for $10, ice for $2 a bag, deli tuna fish and chicken salad for about $3 a container (which would make 2 sandwiches per container). With the cocktails we mixed up in the room we had a fine time at this beach all day. The waters were calm, clear, and beautiful. The road sign for this beach says Smith Bay/Beach if you decide to look for this beach. It is $2 per person to get in.

The Frenchman's Reef does have two pools and is next to the Morning Star that has a very crowded beach. At the time we were there, the water was not calm and the waves were pretty strong. Lindquist Beach by far was a better choice in my opinion.

We also took the passenger ferry to Jost Van Dyke to hang out all day at White Bay and Soggy Dollar Bar. The breakfast was great, drinks were great, the sand was great, the water clear and not many waves; however, the boats were overwhelming. They would anchor practically on the beach in everyone's swimming area. It was beautiful, no doubt. But I will not have to go to Jost on my return trip to St. Thomas.

We also took the car barge to St John. The round trip is anywhere from $40 to $50 per car. We headed over to Cinnamon Bay which is probably the most beautiful place on earth to me. We enjoyed our time there and decided to go to Trunk Bay. By the time of day we decided to do this, there was no parking at Trunk Bay or Hawksnest Bay. So my suggestion to you is to park at the ferry terminal on St Thomas ($10 a day) and take the passenger ferry to St. John and get a taxi to the beach. Taking a taxi, you don't have to worry about parking! There is a restaurant at Cinnamon Bay although we didn't eat there so I can't tell you if it is any good. The view is spectacular though!

Sunset Cove: The happy hour 2 for 1 is for the same beverage. The chicken/pineapple quesadillas were good and enough for my husband and me to split. The chili beef nachos were good but I wouldn't recommend the chicken nachos. My friend loved the house salad. Every single place we went is on island time so I didn't think the service was slow. We had two different servers. We were very nice to them and in return they were very nice to us.

The Market Place at the resort: They have hand dipped ice cream and the prices really weren't that much more than in the States. That was our dessert a few nights. The sun screen is $20 so be sure and have your own. Their noodles are $6 and well worth it to float in the water. The rum is $15 a bottle, just $5 more than the Pueblo Market grocery store.

As you can tell, the resort for us was a home base and we ventured out. We rented a car and waited to late to book that reservation and ended up with a Sonata, which at times almost seemed like it wouldn't make it up the steep hills. Book early and get a jeep or something. Last time, we had a Jeep Liberty and I feel that is a better choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Check in was a breeze. I love being greeted with a smile! I didn't have a clue where our villa would be located but we were happy as soon as we opened the door. We had a two bedroom villa on the first floor in the Tortola Bldg. The view was fantastic from the main bedroom and from the 2nd too. We were just above and behind the Marketplace and the poolside restaurant, giving us a perfect view of the pool and the water. One evening we watched as a cruise ship went out of port (I think I included a picture). Even though we were that close to the pool and restaurant we were never disturbed at all. We actually commented on how quiet it was, the evening music added to sitting on the balcony. We enjoyed both the restaurant and the bbq they had one night. There was plenty of alcohol to sample, rum and tequila, plus two free rum drink cards on Saturday and Sunday.

Dinner at Mims was relaxing but nothing to write home about but our table was up against the rocks at the shore so it more than made up for the food. I would not recommend Molly Malones in Redhook - pricey and nothing made me want to return. Woody's in St. Johns enticed enough to buy a tee-shirt so I could say I had been there, but not to make want to eat there again - very greasy. We would have eaten all the time at the Marriott but ran out of choices. My husband said the Fish Tacos there were probably the best food he had on the trip.

We ended up spending around $400 on taxies and ferries, which is not a bad thing if you want to get back home in one piece. You wouldn't want to be out on the roads if a tourist was driving.

From our room and the pool it is a short trip to Frenchman's Reef. Wonderful views, but bring your towels if you decide to layout,they aren't available to guests from the Cove.

We still loved Magen's Bay for the beach and being to see the tropical fish without having to snorkel. We also got to watch a mongoose eating just at the tree line and the yellow butterflies were out on in abundance.

I wasn't very comfortable in downtown St. Thomas - lots of people and quite a few who appeared to a little out of control from whatever. The man urinating at the dock and spewing all kind of words shortened my afternoon.

We could have spent our entire time at Frenchman's Cove and wouldn't have been disappointed. I think you get out of things what you put in to them, you can be happy or not, it really all up to you. We loved it, would we go back; yes, would I change anything; no. Thank you to everyone who made it so pleasant. Thank you to the ladies in the Marketplace, thank you to Rita at the front desk, thank you to Michael at Customer Relations, your efforts made our stay one to remember.

Shelton, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Frenchman's Cove time share is not the best Marriott timeshared we stayed in. You have to cross over take an elevator, cross over take an elevator all to get to the pool. The pool is nice but the beach is not. There is only one food service there and that is just o.k. We took the shuttle over to the hotel and used their pool, which is much better. ALso took the shuttle to the Morningstar to use their beach, much better. It is highly unlikely that we would ever stay there again. The staff was nice enough but not is not enough to make a great vacation. The Aruba Marriott timeshare is head over heals the best. Seeing other properties makes me love Aruba more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Youngsville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our trip to St. Thomas was fun but we wouldn't go back. Having to take 3 elevators to the pool area got very old - very fast. The pool was small overall. The beach area was also very small - if you like to walk on the beach this is NOT the place for you!

Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our second year staying at this property. We are a family of four with two daughters age 13 and 9. Our room was clean and the beds were comfy but the furniture was a little dated. We stayed in the Virgin Gorda building and had a nice view of the pool and the beachfront. The food at Sunset Cove is tasty but somewhat expensive and the service was SLOW. Great live music each night (except for Wednesdays) but wish the performers would play until at least 9 pm. Karaoke night was a blast! Employees were always friendly. Overall, the atmosphere was laid back and nice. Great little getaway!

Room Tip: Ask for the Virgin Gorda building.
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in mid June and had an absolutely great time. Even though we requested a higher floor, we were placed in the Virgin Gorda building on the 2nd floor. We still had a great view from our balcony. You get used to taking the elevator to get to and from the pool. It is not an inconvenience, but worth it to have the views from each of the villas. It is a timeshare and not a hotel, so don't expect daily maidservice (although that is available next door at the Frenchman Reef). The pool seemed small, but it never felt crowded, and there was never a shortage of lounge chairs. We did our grocery shopping at the Gourmet Gallery and bought our liquor at KMart. I highly recommend both to stock up on your food and adult beverages. Food is pricey at The Cove and the Marketplace shop, but that's to be expected for being on site at a resort. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room and went out to dinner in the evening. Note: You will need a rental car, or expect to pay a lot for cab fare. Our favorite places to dine were Mims and The Twisted Cork.
We met with the conceraige and they gave us great recommendations and maps for getting around. Thanks Fran and Dawn for all the tips. Everyone we encountered from the resort were helpful, friendly, and always greeted you with a smile.
We enjoyed our time here and will definitely return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 stars 965 reviews

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!