“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winter Haven, Florida
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were a little apprehensive about our stay at this resort due to some negative reviews. We found it to be a wonderful resort with great staff and good service. I plan to return soon and would recommend this to anyone! The views and sunsets were glorious. What a great experience. The pools were great and the beach lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
new jesey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This resort has it all, pool with slide for kids,a little adult entertainment, nice little beach area, food was pricey but didn't eat much I packed my own and hit k mart for extras I'm glad I rented a car with a family of five this is recommended, to get around the island, took the barge in Redhook to st johns 50 round trip a must is trunk bay,I found that cookie beach in st Thomas was best for snorkeling have to deal with locals a little bit but if you bring your own cooler you don't need them for anything there just trying to be helpful to make a little $$$. just remember it is pricey on this island and if you go to eat in the rest. Where the ships dock your hit with a automatic 18% gratuity. All in all the Marriott is very nice rooms have lots of space I was in a2bdrm crown great view and no matter where you are it will take a little journey to the pool but not that big a deal,I was on a exchange and completely satisfied.ladies at front desk are so nice and accommodated me on my request thanks I forgot there names but its me from jersey in case they read this.if any1 has ? Contact me for places to eat, kids love this place.

Barrington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived a day early for our cruise spending the day here before boarding. We were welcomed at the open air reception area, checked in with a welcoming rum punch, and then up to our room with a very comfortable bed, shower & bath. A full balcony looked out on the pool area in photo (posted). We ate dinner on the open air deck watching the sunset. The dinner was good, but we sent the dessert back, looked great but no taste. They were cordial about it and removed it from our bill. A band began playing on the deck next to the dining area where we enjoyed a drink. We slept extremely well on the pillow-top mattress and were not disturbed by activity outside at all. For breakfast the next morning we walked a good distance to their restaurant CoCo Joe's for an outdoor breakfast and to walk the beach. The staff was incredibly friendly here and the food was great. Many people set themselves up on the beach then ate breakfast here. At the far end of the beach there were boat rentals. Back in the main lobby a large area was manned by 2 staff members to ask questions and assist in setting up reservations and excursions. A number of seating areas around the lobby, inside and out, while waiting. There was always ample staff while we were around. I did not use the spa or workout facilities. This is not a place to go if economy is a priority as the cost is pricey. It looked nice for a 3-4 day stay with activities & excursions set up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the timeshare part of the Marriott complex at Frenchmans Reef in St Thomas but you can rent the units too. There is a small but comfortable beach with places to snorkle steps away. The water taxi to Charlotte Amilie is here too. I couldnt believe the small restaurant was so good, beyond a snack bar but tastie meals and breakfasts too. Everything here is compacted on the side of a hill so you have to take several elevators to the beach (great for arthitic knees) but occasionally they are out and that means stairs or the shuttle. Pool is small but lots of chairs. The smallness is the appeal. It has everything for a nice day at the beach on a cove. If you take the shuttle or walk to the bigger Marriott on top of the hill there are more food options, pools and Morning Star beach is bigger, on the Carribean with rolling waves. Blue Havana is a delight, we ate here 3 time during the week, just call the shuttle.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just returned from a great week at Frenchman's Cove and we LOVED it!! We own Marriott timeshare at the Aruba Surf Club and really enjoyed the size, views, staff, pool, and the island of St. Thomas. We stayed in unit 532 (Third floor of the St. John building) and had an EXCELLENT view of the water. I think the views from just about every unit is one of the biggest plusses. As it's built into the side on the mountain, all the units have an ocean view. The only ones that MAY not have a great view would be the first level of this building. I know there have been some complaints about taking 3 elevators to get to the pool/beach area. Sure that's a little inconvenient, but I counted the steps and other than the vertical dimension, you're about 100-150 STEPS away from the pool, plus the elevators, of course. The unit itself had all the stuff you'd expect from a Marriott - this one was as nice as one I've been in. I thought it was pretty much brand new. But I hear they are beginning to remodel them this September. So it will only get better. The pool gets a little crowded in the early afternoon, but we never had difficulty finding a chair. Since the resort is fairly small, things never really get too busy. Compared to the Westin on St. John, which I stopped to look at - the Cove seems quaint. And that's a good thing! The water is a little rocky right when you walk in, but a few steps and you're by it. It was never a problem. There's a very fun trampoline and iceberg (tall inflatable, floating climbing thing!) which I enjoyed. Older kids will love it. Yes, the beach is small and therefore if you like walking the beach for exercise, isn't great. But it is cut off from the rest of the island so it is private. We stopped at Coki Beach and it seemed like a free for all there - very busy with cruisers. I thought it was nice to have our privacy and if we wanted a bigger beach, we went to Coki, Megan's, or St. John. We also liked watching all the boats come and go, especially the cruise ships. They seemed so close that you could almost reach out and touch them. There are activities on the water if you want them - sailing, kayaking, SUP, boating - all for a price. There is a ferry to take you into downtown Charlotte Amelie ($14 round trip). The food was expensive on the island, in general. We went to Hawaii last spring break and found the prices higher here (St. Thomas). The Cove has pretty good food. My kids live on chicken tenders, and grilled cheese, so they were covered. The breakfast buffet was about what you'd expect for $21.95. The only food complaint, other than the price, would be limited vegetarian options. Both my wife and I would've loved a veggie burger or something along those lines. Next year we'll plan better and probably eat more meals in the unit. My biggest complaint, if you want to call it that, about the whole week was that the bathroom near the pool was being worked on so you had to trek up the stairs thru the fitness center. Was it a super long walk, no. But the locker room was SOOOO cold that when you walk right from the pool it was freezing, especially for my 4.5 year old son!! There are nightly activities (wine tasting, etc) and daily kids activities, plus a Kids Club (with foosball, video games, billiards) so lots to keep the younger ones busy.

Room Tip: anything above Level 1
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice and big but a little on the expensive side. The beach is ok and the pool is great. The weather was great it was sunny with a nice brease. If i decide to vacation in st thomas again i will stay some where else. I did two excursions from the Marriott however they where both crappy. I would not do it again.

• Stayed January 2013
Voorhees, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family is wrapping up a six night stay at the Cove. Overall, we enjoyed the experience, but the resort needs some definite improvements in the facilities.

First the room - although they are supposedly planning a refresh of the rooms (and lobby) we didn't think our room needed a thing - it was well appointed, clean, and spacious with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a large common sitting/eating area and kitchen. Everything worked and the amenities are what we expect from a Marriott Vacation Club.

The lobby and other parts of the resort, like the gym and market, are all similarly nice.

The facilities, however, are lacking. There is one pool, and for the number of rooms currently existing at the resort, it became quite crowded. The beach is small and there is a small entrance area to avoid the coral/rocks/urchins, making it very difficult to use. The only "restaurant" on property is a glorified pool bar; we ate breakfast there one morning but didn't return (prices are, as you would expect, high). We took advantage of the facilities at the nearby Marriott Frenchman's Reef hotel and found the Morningstar beach there beautiful and easily accessible. But given our experience at other Marriott Vacation Club resorts, particularly the Ocean Club in Aruba, we found this resort severely lacking in these common amenities.

All of the staff were friendly, helpful and engaging.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!