“Great Spring Break - kids 14 & 16” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Maryland
“Great Spring Break - kids 14 & 16”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Let me start by saying we are Marriott Vacation Club owners for year - but we own at Ko Olina. We have also stayed at many Marriott villas either through redweek rentals or II getaways, so we are very familiar with Marriott.

We just arrived home after staying in a two bedroom villa March 23 - 30. It was myself, my husband, and our two children age 14 and 16. Overall, we had a nice relaxing stay!

We opted to not rent a car, since it seemed too stressful to try and drive on the other side of the road than we are used to. We are glad we did, since it worked out well for us.

The day after we arrived, we had a taxi take us to Pueblo (only since it was closest) to pick up essentials ( bread, frozen burgers, buns, soy milk, water, wine, beer, cheese, lunch meat, frozen chicken nuggets and fries oh my super expensive compared to home, etc - not a lot really since I had packed some things like ramen, cereal, crackers, Tide Pods, dryer sheets, etc). So for about $200 we were set - not too bad since alcohol is super cheap but some food was super high - I didn't care really we got what we needed - and just be aware the crime is high in town. Our cab driver said he'd meet us up back in 45 minutes - sure enough there he was. Just as he was about to help us load our groceries a panhandler was approaching - he just told him to "move along" which he did - I think he was going to try to steal some of our groceries poor guy (looked homeless)

Back to the villa - St. John building fourth floor - beautiful view! I didn't realize till second day - there is NO GARBAGE DISPOSAL. First time ever I've been in a condo of any type without one - mind you I've lived without them in the past but wow. All was okay though. Also - I was surprised that this Marriott does not recycle. Just toss it all I guess.

I had to call for foam pillows after the first night - I am allergic to feather and these were bad. The foam ones were good.

Mosquitoes - I DO NOT know where they came from as high as we were - but my advice - bring two citronella candles - one for the balcony (yes there are two but our kids never opened theirs) and one for the living room. If i do return I would bring them! We all went home bitten up so much, they cam into the room from the balcony and the bedroom - one made a meal out of us during the night! I am fine now (even though last day I shaved my legs, oops over one bite and had blood running down my leg!). I suggest citronella candles for sure!

I also suggest bringing snacks from home if you can - many foods are expensive. But, we bought Bubba Burgers a the store and they weren't much more than home. I had brought salt and seasonings too - but the grills I used weren't the best. We always grill at Marriott condos - maybe I picked the worst ones? There was no salt and pepper even so glad I brought that - also coffee and sweetener we brought, cereal, etc.

We had brought snorkels (Just two) since my kids have loved to snorkel since they were about 5. We just were so lazy that we never used them! If you do like to snorkel, I'd bring them - they charge $15 a day to rent and we got ours (minus my daughter's prescription mask) for $30 or so at Costco. I would probably think about bringing a nice fun floaty thing for the cove!

They do have some games by the pool - one day we played the rum bingo, and my husband and I both won. Funny thing is, it's a small bottle of rum you win, which costs barely more than the $3 to play the game if you get it in town, like $1 more? Oh well, we had fun.

One exciting thing here is the cruise ships that pass so close - some mornings at 6:30 or so we'd see them start - very cool.

We went over to the Marriott resort closest (quick walk) to eat a couple of times for a change of scenery - still lots of kids but different atmosphere. We totally preferred the Cove! Also we had no problem ever over spring break finding pool chairs any time of the day!

Definitely would stay here again if we went back to St. Thomas.

760 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Duluth, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Right next to Frenchman's Reef. Stayed next door at Frenchman's Reef, but took the tour and rooms are beautiful. Nice beach. Pool and beach was crowded with kids, but I guess you expect that at a property like this. Looks nice for families. Full facilities with great store, snack shop, and kids facilities, and place looked like new. Great view of harbor.

Room Tip: Marriott Vacation Club property
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Walking back to room after checking in with the front desk I noticed lots of places needing painting and chips to be repaired. I started to think the Marritott's Frenshman's Cove's best days were behind it! Boy was I surprised when the door swung open to a magnificent view of St. Thomas harbor framed perfectly by the picture window!

Two spacious bedrooms both with master baths awaited us as we further explored our room. A full kitchen meant cooking could be done in room rather than spend mucho dinero dining out every night.

The Good:

Excellent clean rooms
Quiet
Plenty of pools
Lots of restaurant and dining choices within the resort.
Good amenities such as tennis.
Beach front access
Friendly and helpful staff

The Bad:

Eating out every night will be cost prohibitive for those on a budget.

The Ugly:

As I mentioned it is a little run down on the outside.

Tips:

Bingo at the pool is a fun way to pass the hours and maybe even win a bottle of rum!

Unless you are use to driving in England but using an American car, don't even attempt to rent a car to get around the island. Take the free shuttle buses.

Take a shuttle to Red Hook and then the boat to St. John for the day. You won't be sorry.

Even though it is a US Territory you will have to pass through customs before leaving. No passport is required however, but you will have to show your driver's license.

Bring a pen to fill out the custom's forms. They don't have any in line.

Plan extra time when leaving the resort to back to the airport. Even though it is only about 8 miles away it can take 40 to 45 minutes to get to the airport.

Leave your running shoes at home! There is literally no place on the island (at least close to the resort) that is safe to run. Narrow twisting road with blind corners with fast drivers is no place to try and get your outdoor running fix. Opt instead for a workout on the treadmill or better yet swim in the ocean!

Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We are currently here till Friday - we are in St. John building -- 4th floor - we are Marriott Vacation Club members in FL, but not here so we don't get first preferences, but I like this building - the view is wonderful and I did not want to be near the pool. Too many loud kids -- I don't know why parents allow squealing - we sat at the pool yesterday and left after 30 min. due to the squealing. Would be nice to have an adults only pool but don't know where they would put it as it's already crowded here. People do tend to hog the chairs and leave them unattended with their towel to save their place. The villas are scheduled to be refurbished from July-Oct. They need it.

We arrived to a broken faucet in the kitchen. Why the previous residents didn't report this or the housekeeper is beyond me. Maybe they did and it just didn't get fixed. The plumber came straight away and had to replace the entire faucet. Also, the phones were not working - this was a problem throughout the resort, not just our unit. It, too, was repaired within a few hours. Housekeeper didn't speak English. I think you must have good communication skills and not just the ability to clean. Didn't go out to eat as my husband loves to cook. We found all the staff members to be very friendly. One really good thing - we only saw 2 iguanas and they were not the huge ones that used to be here. We were here 6 years ago and stayed at at the Marriott hotel up the hill and they were everywhere -- I think they have thined them out.

We will return as we enjoy just relaxing, looking at the view and reading.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse , NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

When we first joined the Marriott Vacation Club, one of the selling points for us was the promise of great vacations with grandchildren although we were 10 years away from that situation. It has proven to be a fact for us and this latest family adventure at Frenchman's Cove was no exception. One of the advantages that seems to come with Vacation Club island locations is the pairing with a resort and this was no exception as Frenchman's Reef was adjacent to us. We had access to 2 beaches and multiple dining options as a result.
The beach at Frenchman's Cove is called Eveningstar and while small, was more than adequate with some decent snorkeling. The pool is large and excellent with a water slide that ensnared our 7 year old and 5 year old grandchildren. My son and daughter-in-law were with my wife and I in our 2 bedroom villa and we had plenty of room. We chose the Virgin Gorda building due to it's close proximity to the pool area. We were on the first level of villas but still had an excellent view of the harbor and resort. We could see many ships and especially the cruise ships as they glided by in the a.m. and p.m. There were alot of people staying at the resort but the facilities never felt crowded. There is a resident group of small iguanas that add to the color of the place.
The staff was spectacular and I have never seen such a wide range of resort-based activities for us to enjoy. The reason for this may be that most of the island was underwhelming for us.
They have an Adventure Center located near the pool that can set up a variety of off site activities. I'll review the two things we did through them in separate postings. There is a dock at the Cove that you board a water taxi into town. it was a nice experience for the kids and we could avoid the insanity of driving in Charlotte Amalie, especially when the cruise ships have docked( 7 on one day) . We had our granddaughter beaded and braided and she loved that but the shopping experience in Charlotte Amalie was one that we ended early.
It's an easy walk between the Cove and the Reef but frequent shuttles are available and there were times they proved convenient for us. We used the Morningstar Beach at Frenchman's Reef one day and everyone had a good time in the sand. It's larger than the one at the Cove with a couple of restaurants located right on it.
We tend to cook alot in the villas when we stay at a Vacation Club and this place was no exception. There was a problem with the stove one evening and no less than 5 people tried and eventually fixed it for us. They were wonderful people and even though we were willing to make other plans for dinner, they stayed with it exhibiting humor until the situation was corrected.
We rarely eat meals on site but the Sunset Cove was excellent. It's a poolside location but outdoors with a nice menu and reasonable prices.
Our granddaughter started crying on our last night and said she was sad to leave. A walk on the beach with my daughter-in-law helped a bit but her braids are the hit of her class since returning to reality.
Another winner for the Marriott Vacation Club

Room Tip: They staff tries to accomodate your villa requests. We stayed in the Virgin Gorda villas for the eas...
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just returned from a week in the St. John building. Prior to our arrival we were asked to pick 3 preferences on which building we'd like & St. John was not on the list. So much for that. They told us we could switch villas when one became available . . . yeah, right, like I'm going to schlep the baggage around again once I'm settled in. We were asked what date we wanted our complimentary housekeeping service, we asked for Tuesday and they came on Monday. No big deal. Overall, I think the villa itself could use some TLC. We had a heck of a time accessing the villa with the key card - sometimes it took half a dozen tries or more. I did mention it & they said they would send someone from security, but I didn't set it up so we continued with the aggravation for the entire week.

ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just got back a few days ago from a week at the Cove. We are Marriott owners and this was our second time at the Cove and have been to St Thomas several other times. It's a beautiful island and the Cove is exceptionally nice. The villas are 2 or 3 bedrooms and very roomy and well equipped. We were in the St. John building which was the highest building and possibly the furthest away from the pool. It was an awesome view but often meant dealing with a slow elevator in the Virgin Gorda building to get to or from the pool. If you have kids, try to stay perhaps closer to the pool. My only complaint about the Cove is that Virgin Gorda should have 2 elevators ! The staff here is great from the front desk people, guys who help with luggage, the staff at the Sunset Grill were all very good(no problems such as someone else mentioned), and our concierge Christy was very informative and helpful- besides restaurant reservations, etc, she gave us the name of the most wonderful taxi driver we have ever met - Ali. We used him the whole trip & he was punctual and knowledgable- the Adventure Center offers an island tour and he does the tour for the Cove - we didn't do it because we had seen the island a couple times before, but when we go back we will do his tour- he gets many repeat guests and will go places perhaps other tours don't go, especially for people who have been there before. Another person to mention is Ira - he was a porter and shuttle driver for the van that goes between the Cove, Frenchmans Reef, and Morning Star- he was also really helpful & nice. It's easy to walk to the Reef and also we would recommend Havana Blue for dinner at Morningstar- excellent ! As far as villas, there would be no bad views & we enjoy watching all of the cruise ships come and go. The most ships come in on Tuesdays (5) and Wednesdays (7), so those are good days to stay away from downtown - it would be crazy busy ! The Cove now also has its own dock for the water taxi to town, so that was convenient. They also have more selections than most of the timeshare Marketplaces have - this was the first time we did not get groceries. There was just 2 of us so we could have a cooked breakfast at the Grill or just get coffee, yogurt, and a scone at the Marketplace. They also carried milk, eggs, cereal, juices, along with sundries, shirts, hats, magazines, etc. Needless to say we loved the Cove, would highly recommend, and hope to return !

Room Tip: High floor any building but try to stay closer to the pool if you have children.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's Frenchman's Cove? Share your experiences!