“You can't get better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rhoda's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
Rhoda's Guest House
You added Rhoda's Guest House to your Saves list
4126 Anna's Retreat | Tillett Gardens, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“You can't get better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I usually don't write reviews on hostels or guest houses but Rhoda's is amazing as you can see by all the other comments. After emailing Abby about staying, she gave me great directions and her personal cell phone to call for any questions. Upon arrival, I found all my questions about the islands were answered in a home made book that Abby put together. The kitchen has free food and coffee that people have donated as well as cooking supplies. The common area has a TV, cards, tons of books, and great info about activities. Since I was traveling alone, it was a great place to meet up with other travels and explore the island together. Abigail is what really brings the hostel together. She has suggestions about everything island related and is simply an awesome person. When my flights were cancelled, Abby told me to come back to Rhoda's and they would make a spot for me to stay a few extra nights. You can tell that Abigail and Eric just want everyone to love the island as much as they do. Tillett Gardens is such a cool place with tiny shops, a bar right outside, and interesting history. If you are looking for an awesome hostel and to hang out with interesting people... this is your place! I will definitely be coming back next month to stay or even just hang out for a few days.

Room Tip: Get to know the other travelers by hanging out in the common areas!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

You walk into Rhoda's guest house and immediately feel at home in a tropical paradise. 'It's not just a vacation, it's a way of life' is their motto and it is spot on to their character and charm. Amazing travelers come and go here but Eric and Abigail are the true staples. It is rare to meet people with such sincere hospitality but these two genuinely welcome you into their home as if you are their family. I mean they actually cooked us a Christmas dinner! I spent about a month in the Caribbean, and I can say my stay would not have even been close to what I experienced if it wasn't for Rhoda's. From their never ending honor bar to the occasional visit in the shower by an iguana, it will be a hostel that I will never forget. Do yourself a favor and quit reading this review and go book yourselves a night at Rhoda's. I guarantee you won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Rhoda's was great. Abby and Eric are really friendly and make the guest house comfortable for everyone. I liked it so much I stayed two separate times on St. Thomas. Abby was always reachable by cell phone for any problems, but luckily I never needed to call her because there were none. Everyone on the whole property at Tillet Gardens was welcoming. I will be back my next time to St. Thomas.

Room Tip: Ask for the double room at the back!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

A lovely place that has everything you could possibly need: bed, pillow, sheets, blankets, towel, washcloth, full working kitchen, shower, piano, tv w/ netflix, books, dvds, monopoly, convenient and cheap snack bar (w/ chips, oreos, beverages), plenty of random nooks/porches to gather and hang out, maps, magazines, guide books, free wifi, air-conditioning, filtered drinking water, ice machine, art work everywhere, and cool people all around.

The whole thing is part of Tillett Gardens, which is a little arts community with all kinds of different shops and restaurants. The guesthouse is named after the owner's mother (Rhoda) and a lot of the artwork displayed is that of his father (Jim). You can find a bunch of photos and information on their websites: (www.tillettgardens.com) and (www.tillettfoundation.org)

The surrounding neighborhood has everything else you could need: local foods, grocery store, laundromat, and safari taxi are all just across the street. Within easy walking distance you will find a bunch of mainland stores if you are not feeling adventurous and instead desire the comforts of familiarity (Kmart, Walgreens, Subway, Little Caesers, Dominos Pizza, McDonalds, KFC, PayLess, Nike Shoes, etc.) as well as a U.S. Post Office.

Eric & Abigail are very likable, entertaining, and accessible; they also both have strangely comforting and distinct voices, but that's sort of weird to mention, right? Anyways, I like that this place exists and I feel good giving them my money to support its continued existence!

Room Tip: bunk beds!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This quaint community of artist and guests was a delight. Having camped for days on St John, we arrived at Rhoda's Guest House, tanned, tired and early. Chelsea, the staff welcomed us anyway. We stayed in a dorm style room, good bed, clean sheets and towel, and a lock box for our valuables( didn't feel the need to use it, but good it was there). Everywhere you look on the grounds you find some piece of eye candy. Tillett gardens is centrally located to services, on the Safari taxi route, and left us with a true sense of the island lifestyle, low key. If a Hostel experience and price is what you are looking for, Rhoda's might the place for you. We are sure happy to have found it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in late Oct and were treated to a great place Great rooms, beautiful area with art shops and central area bar. The hosts we very caring suggesting places to go and lots of care, highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently relocated to the Virgin Islands. I looked all over online for "backpacker hostels" to stay before finding my own place. The only thing I could find close, was Rhoda's Guest House. Little did I know what a fantastic situation I was in for.
The guest house is set in a garden of artists,craftsmen and interesting characters. The owners; Eric and Abigail, are so warm and hospitable. I walked in off the street with no reservation and they welcomed me in to there little utopia!
Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rhoda's Guest House? Share your experiences!