“convenient location, friendly people, fun & inexpensive” 5 of 5 stars

You added Rhoda's Guest House to your Saves list
Rhoda's Guest House
4126 Anna's Retreat | Tillett Gardens, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
New York City, New York
“convenient location, friendly people, fun & inexpensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at Rhoda’s for a week this past spring break. It was exactly what we were looking for … and more. This place is not fancy, nor is it particularly luxurious . But it is as relaxing or activity-filled as you wish to make it. It offers both solitude as well as partying. It is also sufficiently steeped in the community to give insight into the overall lifestyle of St. Thomas.

The guest house is set within a very private tract of land (Tillet Gardens) in the center of which is a piazza of sorts, surrounded by close to a dozen retail establishments, e.g. a restaurant, bar, game room, live theater, art gallery, jewelry shop, crafts shop, etc. It’s all very quaint and quiet. Tillet Gardens (built by the proprietor’s artist father) is conveniently located to safari taxi stops to get to any number of utterly gorgeous beaches ($1 pp) or into town ($2 pp). The Tutu Plaza is within walking distance and offers a supermarket and K-Mart.

The guest house is run by Abby & Eric and staff – all of whom were most welcoming and helpful with touristy advice. There was also a lot of camaraderie among the guests: a rainy day was occupied by a house barbecue, a quiet evening filled with a monopoly game as well as the occasional group outings. Our spacious room had a private bath, direct access to an interior porch and opened out to the communal kitchen and living room. The kitchen was well stocked with appliances, pots/pans, dishes, glassware etc. for the preparation of any type of home cooked meal. All in all it made for a unique vacation experience. If is what you are looking for – this is definitely the place to find it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lyons, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The perfect place to start your journey in the US Virgin Islands.  Conveniently  located in Tutu, close to Red hook, Charlotte Amalie and stores.  The Safari taxis run right by the front door and some of the island's best beaches are nearby.  Rhoda's Guesthouse is located in the historical Tillet Gardens which is an oasis of locals, artists, shops, a theatre and a full service bar and restaurant located in a beautiful tropical garden setting.  They also host live music at their outdoor stage through the Arts Alive program.  The accommodations are well done and everyone is very helpful and friendly.  I highly recommend Rhoda's Guesthouse to any travelers looking for a nice, affordable, interesting and convenient place to stay while on St. Thomas.  One of the owners, Abby made us an delicious traditional Caribbean home cooked meal during our stay.  A great experience, I highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Gambier, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Rhoda's for two nights and we wished it was longer. This place is unbelievable, and not to mention it has the friendliest people on the island. Abigail, the manager, was EXTREMELY helpful! She made us both feel extremely welcome and answered all of our questions. If you are traveling to St. Thomas, I definitely recommend staying at Rhoda's Guest House instead of a huge resort. The house itself is great. Every single room is unique. The kitchen and living room are both great. The blue coaches in the living room are extremely comfortable! The Bistro located right next to Rhoda's, inside Tillet Gardens, is also great!! They have the biggest and best burgers I have ever had. The bartender, Whitney, is also awesome. She makes one mean peach margarita. Plus if you stay at Rhoda's you get a 10% discount. If I ever go back to the Virgin Islands, I will definitely be staying at Rhoda's!! Thank you Rhoda's for one of the best trips of my life.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved my stay at Rhoda's! We initially picked it just because of its low rates, but soon realized what an amazing place it was! I would take the homely, welcoming, guesthouse atmosphere of Rhoda's over the Ritz any day. Abigail, the manager, was incredibly friendly and helpful, and everyone around Tillet Gardens was generally pleasant.
The house itself is very cool with funky decor, cozy couches, a nice breezy patio, and a great kitchen!
The bar is directly next to Rhoda's which is very convenient. Whitney the bartender is the best, she will learn and remember everyone's name, and even buy you a drink here and there if you're nice! The rest of St Thomas is nice of course, but we hardly strayed from Tillet Gardens the whole time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a somewhat belated review, since I stayed here about a month ago. The property was beautiful, the food was good, and the beds/bathrooms/living areas were very clean--all in all a very good experience. I stayed in the hostel portion and had the place to myself for the night, though my impression is that they're getting busier.

My favorite part, though, were the people--I came to St. Thomas by myself for a few days for a job interview, and everyone was warm, welcoming, and very helpful in terms of getting around, preparation, what to do, etc. Salt of the earth, these folks. A friend of mine was flying down to St. Thomas a week later, and I insisted she stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am so very glad that I chose to stay at Rhoda's Guest House. It's centrally located and it was easy for me to get transportation to visit all of the Virgin Islands. The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly and the vibe is a comfortable, social environment. I felt so welcomed that I actually decided to move to St. Thomas. Thanks again to Rhoda's Guest House a place where you can feel at home!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My daughter and I also found Rhoda's guesthouse to be delightfully surprising, amenities galore-across the street from a safari stop to Red Hook and Charlotte Amelie( the local $2.00 p.p taxis circling the east side of the island), near stores and some of the best beaches on St Thomas. We loved exploring St T but also enjoyed taking ferries from Red Hook- 20 minutes! to St John, a quiet, natury part of the UVI. Our fearless host and hostess chartered a motor boat for us all- 6 people- and took us to Jost Van Dyke- bring your passports!-and Willi T's-,look it up...fabulous. I recommend this place for the hostel crowd but also exteneded families, they could rent the whole place and enjoy all ther aofrementioned amenities- thanks for everything, Abigail, Eric, Sonny, Aaron! we'll be back

Room Tip: we loved our room right off the outdoor patio, 2 double beds and our own bathroom!