“What a View!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crystal Palace

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
The Crystal Palace
Package Deal
Newbury, NH
“What a View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Great view and a super covered porch for breakfast and dominoes. Lots of history from Ronnie the 5th generation owner. Everyone knows him, and I do mean everyone.
The Crystal Palace felt like home, only better.
We were on our way to a boat at Tortola and would happily book with The Crystal Palace on our next trip to the Islands.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First time for me staying at the lovely Crystal Palace. It is such a comfortable place to stay, and the prices are very reasonable, especially for very expensive St Thomas.

The B & B is just like staying in a museum with great artifacts all around. Ronnie can tell you the history of the town and everything around there. If you like to shop and get good deals this is the place to stay central to all the shopping. If your cab fails to come pick you up Ronnie will be there for you. Pack a good set of walking shoes and your set. Ronnie will give you great personalized service.

Room Tip: All the streets here are very tight so pay attention to traffic flowing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
St. Thomas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Reservation bungled. Flat bed vehicle from airport in rain soaked luggage. Room walls broken.no waste basket. Bathroom and shower nothing but disgusting. Sorry we are here. Place is rundown.
Palace? To call it a palace is a FRAUD. Nothing about the place deserves praise.

Room Tip: Sleep elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
RonUSVI, Owner at The Crystal Palace, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. I expected it as one in your group told me you did it. One in your group also told me you are a constant complainer. The other guests that I picked up at the same time were equally shocked at you as I was of you chewing me out because the bed of my 4 door Honda Ridgeline pick up (not a flatbed) was damp. Yes, it had rained on my way to the airport for your complimentary courtesy pick up, and it was damp. Wonder who you would have complained to if the rain fell while they were unloading the plane? Your canvas duffel bag would have been fine. I do believe they make suitcases to be weatherproof. I thank you for drawing attention to some of the shortcomings of my rooms. I did say we will be renovating my 80 year old property next summer and were doing some painting and fixing, however suspending it while you were here. The trash can was misplaced and replaced again in the room. Once again thank you for the review. Hope your charter went well with no complaints. For the reservation bungle I did give you free upgrades and not charge my less than three night stay. I know I apologized several times and had hoped that would have made it good. Once again I apologize.
sarasota, florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Second time for me staying at the lovely Crystal Palace, and it was even better than the first time. It is such a comfortable place to stay, and the prices are very reasonable, especially for very expensive St Thomas.

The B & B was very clean & loved my room. I again appreciated it's central location. Easy to walk into town & to pick up the local transportation (Safari) - this saves a lot of $. Ronnie does a great job of helping out with whatever you need, just ask! Thanks again for a Wonderful stay! I'll be back someday. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I couldn't decide between rating Crystal Palace as poor or as terrible... but I'm pretty sure terrible is a more appropriate description. Everything felt dirty, the sheets were old and tatty, the quilt induced a sort of water-boarding/suffocation feeling. My boyfriend and I woke up every morning with new bites whether from bedbugs, mosquitos or spiders, I'm still not sure. The bed wasn't made throughout our stay and a cleaner only arrived on our check out day. The bathroom was covered in brown water stains and the bin was never changed. There was hardly any storage space. The breakfast consisted of yoghurt, some seriously second hand looking cereal boxes and not much else. There was some weird sort of turtle set up in the kitchen (possibly dead, possibly not). Obviously St. Thomas is a bit of a rip off in general but this place really takes the biscuit. We ended up moving to Virgin Gorda and staying in Little Dix Bay which was three times as expensive and not really how much we wanted to spend in the beginning but it was infinitely better. Put it this way, I would rather stay at home then spend any more time at Crystal Palace.

On a more positive note, the television in our room had cable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RonUSVI, Owner at The Crystal Palace, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
When I read this review I was appalled! I waited for some time to figure what my response would be. I am sorry you had such a bad time for the three days you stayed. Yes, we have mosquitoes, doubt any bed bugs. The welcome sign in the rooms clearly states that there is no maid service and it is available at an additional fee if you care. We do change out mid-week if one stays for a week or so. If you had problems, I would have wished you would have said something, not to wait 9 months to write such a review. You are an exception. This happens.
I serve for continental breakfast, a bread of some sort, yogurt, fruit, cereal, coffee, and juice. Again if it wasn't to your liking, it would have been nice you say something. The sheets are replaced yearly, as well as my comforters, sometimes more time than that.
Yes, I had baby tortoises in the kitchen. I feed them until they are strong enough to go back into my yard. I will find somewhere else to put them. Thanks for the heads up, you were the first.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. Glad you had a good time at a place three times the cost!
Bellevue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Very helpful B&B host. Prime location, with plenty of room (outside of one's own bedroom) to relax. Fabulous view of the harbor, and a five minute walk to the shops. A slice of St. Thomas's past, the home reflects its history, with oil paintings hanging on walls, etc. The porch/balcony is set up with tables and chairs (in the shade) to take advantage of the view, and a great place for evening drinks or breakfast, or anytime of the day. The room we had was very spacious and excellent value for the money, a delightful four poster king size. Good air flow in the room, and we didn't need the air conditioning. Parking was also available off street. Breakfast was a generous continental buffet, and cold drinks are available on an honor system (first drink is on the house). Internet worked well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I, D. Farrelly had the privilege of staying at the Crystal Palace for two nights. As a history buff, I was absoloutely in my element! The entire home is a step back in time (with all the modern amenities). My room was very spacious, clean and decorated beautifully. My host, Ronnie was gracious to pick me up at the airport and also return me to the airport for my departure in the wee hours of the morning! MOST APPRECIATED! He also made certain that I felt quite at home answering my numerous questions about the history of the home. Crystal Palace is located in Charlotte Amalie- a stone's throw away from all of the shopping,restaurants and other historical sites! CRYSTAL PALACE will be my new home away from home! Thank you so very much Ronnie!

Room Tip: Request the room with the private bath.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Crystal Palace? Share your experiences!