“Booked because of Tripadvisor and really disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Crystal Palace

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
The Crystal Palace
You added The Crystal Palace to your Saves list
12 Crystal Gade, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
London
“Booked because of Tripadvisor and really disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I couldn't decide between rating Crystal Palace as poor or as terrible... but I'm pretty sure terrible is a more appropriate description. Everything felt dirty, the sheets were old and tatty, the quilt induced a sort of water-boarding/suffocation feeling. My boyfriend and I woke up every morning with new bites whether from bedbugs, mosquitos or spiders, I'm still not sure. The bed wasn't made throughout our stay and a cleaner only arrived on our check out day. The bathroom was covered in brown water stains and the bin was never changed. There was hardly any storage space. The breakfast consisted of yoghurt, some seriously second hand looking cereal boxes and not much else. There was some weird sort of turtle set up in the kitchen (possibly dead, possibly not). Obviously St. Thomas is a bit of a rip off in general but this place really takes the biscuit. We ended up moving to Virgin Gorda and staying in Little Dix Bay which was three times as expensive and not really how much we wanted to spend in the beginning but it was infinitely better. Put it this way, I would rather stay at home then spend any more time at Crystal Palace.

On a more positive note, the television in our room had cable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RonUSVI, Owner at The Crystal Palace, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
When I read this review I was appalled! I waited for some time to figure what my response would be. I am sorry you had such a bad time for the three days you stayed. Yes, we have mosquitoes, doubt any bed bugs. The welcome sign in the rooms clearly states that there is no maid service and it is available at an additional fee if you care. We do change out mid-week if one stays for a week or so. If you had problems, I would have wished you would have said something, not to wait 9 months to write such a review. You are an exception. This happens.
I serve for continental breakfast, a bread of some sort, yogurt, fruit, cereal, coffee, and juice. Again if it wasn't to your liking, it would have been nice you say something. The sheets are replaced yearly, as well as my comforters, sometimes more time than that.
Yes, I had baby tortoises in the kitchen. I feed them until they are strong enough to go back into my yard. I will find somewhere else to put them. Thanks for the heads up, you were the first.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. Glad you had a good time at a place three times the cost!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bellevue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Very helpful B&B host. Prime location, with plenty of room (outside of one's own bedroom) to relax. Fabulous view of the harbor, and a five minute walk to the shops. A slice of St. Thomas's past, the home reflects its history, with oil paintings hanging on walls, etc. The porch/balcony is set up with tables and chairs (in the shade) to take advantage of the view, and a great place for evening drinks or breakfast, or anytime of the day. The room we had was very spacious and excellent value for the money, a delightful four poster king size. Good air flow in the room, and we didn't need the air conditioning. Parking was also available off street. Breakfast was a generous continental buffet, and cold drinks are available on an honor system (first drink is on the house). Internet worked well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I, D. Farrelly had the privilege of staying at the Crystal Palace for two nights. As a history buff, I was absoloutely in my element! The entire home is a step back in time (with all the modern amenities). My room was very spacious, clean and decorated beautifully. My host, Ronnie was gracious to pick me up at the airport and also return me to the airport for my departure in the wee hours of the morning! MOST APPRECIATED! He also made certain that I felt quite at home answering my numerous questions about the history of the home. Crystal Palace is located in Charlotte Amalie- a stone's throw away from all of the shopping,restaurants and other historical sites! CRYSTAL PALACE will be my new home away from home! Thank you so very much Ronnie!

Room Tip: Request the room with the private bath.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
sarasota, florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Just can not say enough positive comments about Ronnie (the owner) and this B & B! It is an historical building loaded with charm, and cool antique furniture.

The rooms are spacious and very clean, the B & B is like a 5 star home - and the view is Incredible!! This place truly is a unique place, not so easy to find especially in St Thomas !!

Rates are fair and Ronnie really makes you feel welcome. Did I mention how awesome the view is? Make sure you check out his amazing turtles too, very cool. You will enjoy this place, only the best recommendation is what I give it! Thanks Ronnie, for opening up this very special place with us all~~!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed at the Crystal Place going and coming from the BVIs. Ronnie the owner meet us at the airport took us to the ferry thus saving taxi fares. This is a great old house full of charm and the feel of the Islands. Ronnie is a gem full of knowldedge and he makes you feel like family. He has an honor bar and the view is outstanding.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We've stayed in the Crystal Palace twice upon returning from charters in the BVI and have found it a great way to punctuate a great time with a relaxing overnight stay at one of St. Thomas's historic residences. Ronnie, the proprieter, has punctually fetched us from the ferry terminal upon our arrival and instantly made us feel welcome, and he corresponds with service to the airport at the end of the stay. The Palace is a historically resplendant home with large, clean rooms decorated in period furniture, and the veranda with its remarkable view of the Charlotte Amalie harbor is, by itself, worth the overnight price. Add the well stocked honor bar to the equation and you have one of my favorite places in the Caribbean. Ronnie is a compendium of information about St. Thomas, both past and present, and adds exponential charm to the Crystal Palace experience. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The USVI and BVI make a fine vacation, but the stories you tell your friends may be the same ones they tell you: "How 'bout that Foxy? What a character!" "St. John's really nice." It's unlikely that your friends will have had the benefit of staying in a historic house or the running commentary provided by its proprietor, Ronnie. Part B&B and part Broadway Set, the Crystal Palace will make your trip. Ronnie acts like your personal host, from the always-mentioned pickup to drinks on the porch. If you need a spotless cloned hotel, look elsewhere. If you need a memory, check out the Crystal Palace.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Crystal Palace? Share your experiences!