“Manager gave my reserved room away” 3 of 5 stars

Island Beachcomber Hotel
8071 Lindberg Bay, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
st louis mp
“Manager gave my reserved room away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

manager gave away my booked family room to another guest that was staying 2 nights, left it to the front desk to explain it to me. Fortunatly the very nice woman, I cant remember right, Silka? Sorry if I misspelled it. Anyway she saved the hotel from getting a terrible rating. She was extremely apologetic and didn't quite understand why my reserved room had been taken from me. I asked to see the manager who did this but he was not on property.
Silka got us in to two other rooms and comped mine. She saved the day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

On a recent trip to the BVI, I had to reschedule a flight to St. Thomas, coming in at a later time (like 9:00 at night), and simply needed a place to sleep until my taxi ride to the ferry in the morning, so selected a hotel almost in the airport itself - or so it appeared on the map. Upon arrival at the airport, I asked a "customer service" (quotes are intentional) representative at the airport how to reach the hotel, and was told I could simply walk there if I wished, the hotel being "just down the road a bit". "a bit". . . . I started down the airport exit road, trailing my carry-on, until I got to the security booth at the airport entrance. When quizzed by the (very helpful!) female guard on duty, she advised me NOT to proceed alone the additional 1/2 mile (??!) down the (mostly unlit) road to the hotel at this time of night. Almost miraculously, a small sedan pulled up to the gate at that moment, piloted by an acquaintance of the guard - a young local man. The guard asked him to give me a ride to the hotel, he immediately obliged, and dropped me off at the front "desk" without a qualm, and protested when I insisted on paying him for his troubles. Silly American tourists!

Anyway, the "front desk". . . . was abandoned, but a ring on the buzzer alerted a young lady who came to the front, confirmed my reservation, handed me a key and a cold bottle of water from a nearby dispenser, suggesting that I really didn't want to drink the local water. I dragged my carry-on up a single flight of stairs to the (bare-bones) room and collapsed into bed. The accommodations were, as I suspected, basic in the extreme, and only suitable for desperate travelers (male, unaccompanied) such as myself. However, as previous reviewers have noted, an huge surprise awaited me the next morning, sadly on my way down to the waiting taxi. Check out the attached photo, caught on the run. All is forgiven.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Bielefeld, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

A nice little hotel in 10 minute walking distance from the airport in St. Thomas. Spend 10$ more and take an ocean side room, it is totally worth it. Just go out of your room and be on the beach!! The restaurant seems not that nice, also we never ate there. The rooms are large and clean, but not that new. You get fresh beachtowels everyday. Very helpful front staff. The planes starting and landing are not disturbing. There is also a small shopping center in 15 minute walking distance where you can by food or have a pizza at Dominos. I would go there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
East Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We just returned from 3 nights at the Island Beachcomber; it was painful to leave, and we can't wait to go back! We stayed there following 3 nights downtown at the Windward Passage for my work, and are SO glad we changed hotels and experienced the Beachcomber. I'll start by saying that if you are looking for a frilly chain hotel experience walking distance to the downtown shops and restaurants, this is not the place for you. But if you want a gorgeous beach; terrific, interesting, helpful, and super-fun management and staff; an amazing, relaxed setting; and a place far from all the tourist traps, this is the place for you. We absolutely loved it. Rooms are relatively simple but have everything you need, including mini-fridges and coffee-makers. "Superior" rooms (I think room numbers 118-123; we stayed in 121) are right on the beach; you step off your lovely patio and you're practically in the water. The bar/restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and we were happy with all of our meals; it's not high-end gourmet, but it was fresh and local and very good. The owner is often on-site and is delightful; his parents started the hotel in 1956. Trees and plants on the property are absolutely gorgeous, and hopefully you'll get a chance to meet the resident hotel cat, Chatty. If you need to get into downtown Charlotte Amalie, the cab ride is about $4-$6/person. It is also right next to the airport, so very convenient in that regard. I've seen some reviews that complained about the airplane noise, but the planes only come in/out during the day, not at night, and the noise never bothered us; in fact, it was a blast to watch the planes coming in so close. We met several locals over drinks and dinner at the bar each evening, and had fun and wonderful conversations with them, the owner, and the staff. By the time we left, we felt like we had truly made a bunch of new friends. The Island Beachcomber is a wonderful place for the traveler who wants a unique experience, enjoys meeting and getting to know new people, and appreciates that the experience is more important than the brand name on the shampoos in the bathroom. I hope you'll visit - we truly can't wait to be there again!

Room Tip: Right-on-the-beach rooms are called "Superior"; I believe they are numbered 118-123.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great beach, bar and restaurant, the owner was very friendly and helpful, rooms are a little run down, but if you are ok with that, you will enjoy your stay here. You can easily walk from the airport. We spent 2 nights here on a layover and really had a nice time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This place is the dirtiest. The walls and the doors inside the rooms are filthy. The first room we checked into the ceiling in the bathroom was falling down in big chunks on the bathroom floor. The bathroom rugs are falling apart. You have to ask for towels and toilet paper. Some of the food on the menu was sold out at 2pm on Friday. The shower stall is so deteriorated that the shower floor looked like it was full of mold and it was the concrete and dirt underneath the building. The building is very very old and needs a total renovation.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Lehi, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I loved this place! We were stuck & just needed a simple inexpensive hotel for one night. It is so close to the airport that you could walk if you chose. The taxi is $4 per person & is less than a 5 minute ride. I called the front desk from Baggage Claim, and the lady was very helpful.

The grounds and garden area are beautiful!! Tropical plants, pretty flowers, tall palm trees, and even mango trees are everywhere. The beach is just about 10 steps out the hotel room door. We jumped right in around 5pm when we arrived, and our teenage boys even enjoyed it because there were little rolling waves they could body surf in.

The room is just what you would need for a quick stay: big beds, spacious bathroom, even a little fridge. Tile floor, so you don't feel bad coming in from the beach with sand on your feet! We heard a few big planes arriving that night, but I thought it was cool - didn't bother us at all. All quiet until next morning. We slept great!

Our flight out was at 2:45 that next afternoon, so we asked the lady at front desk if we could do a late check-out. She gave us until 1pm!! (So generous!) She had also upgraded us to a bigger room with 3 beds when she saw us with two teenage boys. She called a nice taxi driver for us to return to airport. GREAT STAY!! Nice people & convenient location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!