“Looking forward to going back!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Island Beachcomber Hotel
8071 Lindberg Bay, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
“Looking forward to going back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My boyfriend and i went to st. thomas and stayed at the beachcomber for a full week. initially we had only planned on staying for only 4 days but it was so great and the people who worked there were so nice and we felt incredibly at home! When we arrived, the girl at the front desk had a room ready for us and i reeaally wanted a room with a nice view of the beach and wanted to be as close as possible to it. With no problem at all she switched our room. The rooms are quaint and perfect for relaxing when you need to. Its like staying at a friends place. Its so comfortable and you feel free! You take a few steps out your door an boom theres the beach! its YOUR beach! At any time of the day or night you can go out for a swim or pass out on the beach and look up at the billion stars and no one will harass you! a few more steps and the bar is righhtt there. you quickly become friends with the staff and they dont treat you like any old tourist. If your an "upity" type of person and are looking to be part of the tourist crowd this may not be for you. if you want to go somewhere where you feel at home an have YOUR OWN beautiful beach and cute little room to relax and unwind and make quick stops at then this is for you. omg i CANT WAIT to go back!! The conch fritteres and the prime rib i got at the bar on the beach were deeeeelicious! Watching the sunset while in the chrystal clear water was amazing! Before we went, i read some reviews and got a bit nervous because people said they saw cockraoches..that was completely false, we didnt see not one bug. Well rob and i miss everyone there and the beach. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want a better room just say it! :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
weybridge, vt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while awaiting the birth of our grandchild who did not come while we were there but this is the absolutely most beautiful, friendly and warm place we have ever stayed. We have been to many different resorts but this small, family owned hotel was outstanding on all levels. The food was prepared perfectly every single meal we ate there. The service at both the restaurant and bar was incredible. No matter how busy they were we always felt we were the only people there. They always made sure we had what we needed but allowed us privacy as well. The rooms were quaint. They were not the most up to date I have seen but they were the most welcoming. I would not change one thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: Though located near the airport, so a bit of a taxi ride into town, the safety and privacy was so wo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael R, Manager at Island Beachcomber Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm sorry that you missed the birth of your grandchild, but it was a pleasure having you stay with us. Hopefully we see you both again soon, maybe with a new grandchild,

Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have gone to this property several times when cruising, the bar staff is always very nice and the food in the restaurant good. They charge 6usd for the chairs and have some shade very close to the Crown pier and just a very nice beach day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brent,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you have always had good experiences during your day trips at the Island Beachcomber. Hopefully we see you again soon!

Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We were really. considering living in St Thomas after vacationing there. Everyone was very nice and the Beachcomer has been around more than 60 yes. It is quaint and laid back. We went back during Easter and the room staff gave me a tiny basket of shells. I would recommend Beachcomber to anyone!

• Stayed April 2012
Michael R, Manager at Island Beachcomber Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Usvilover,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your self. I will pass this review onto everyone here and we hope to see you again soon.

Michael Resch
Bethpage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

A week ago, my family had the pleasure of staying at the Island Beachcomber once again. We have been staying there for years and always look forward to going back. It is like our “home away from home.” Over the years, we have come to know some of the staff and the folks that return year after year.

The staff is always very nice and full of good cheer. We love to find Denzel, the gardener, maintaining the beautiful grounds and listen to his knowledge of the local flora. Every morning we have a hearty breakfast served by a smiling and laughing Ms. Gigi (have to have the French toast!). After a morning on the beach, nothing is better than a “bucket of beer” and burger overlooking the bay served by “Chicago” or Dean.

In my opinion, IBC is located on the best beach in St. Thomas. However, some days passengers from cruise ships do visit the beach for the day, but this is usual. Denzel will always make sure that IBC visitors have their lounges.

IBC is not for the five star crowds. It is for those who want to experience the island the way it was before jumbo jets. The beachcomber is my favorite vacation destination and I hope it never loses its true personality.

Many thanks to Michael for a history lesson on the resort!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Liat33,

Thank you very much for your kind review! I will pass on your kind words to Denzel, Gigi, Shacara and Dean. We strive hard to provide a laid back atmosphere that is unique to each guest. We look forward to seeing you again this year!

Michael Resch
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I really have mixed feelings about the Island Beachcomber Hotel.

Writing reviews as much as I do for TripAdvisor and reading other's I kind of went into my one night stay here with no expectations ---- that was a good thing.

The woman at the front desk was very very nice and set us up in room 200 --- literally facing the beach and it seemed to be a room re-done over the last two years or so.

I read a number of reviews before checking in and I did have my doubts about a couple of things, but...

The grounds at this hotel are very nice and it actually calmed me a little as we were walking to our room.

We past a nice old lady who was standing in the doorway and trying to get the attention of the person who worked there --- turns out that "nice old lady" owns the Island Beachcomber Hotel and she lives onsite.

Our room had a tiled floor that was clean, the bed looked well made and was sort of firm, and no stains on the walls or ceilings.

So good, right?

Sort of... we went out for the evening and came back to a nice cool room (left the A/C and ceiling fan on) and as we were preparing for bed we noticed a bug (not sure what kind) in the bathroom and a few ants...

No big deal -- honestly...

In the morning is where we ran into the issue...

Apparently this place has a lot of cats -- didn't notice them when we checked in -- and in the morning as we were walking to breakfast, we noticed a dead cat --- yep a dead cat, killed by an aggressive dog (we were told). I will not describe the scene, but it swayed me from eating breakfast or lunch at the hotel. We proceeded to tell the front desk about this and the person said that she had told someone a half-hour ago to clean it up... Well apparently that person didn't do it -- kind gross in my opinion... I should note that after we went next door to the Best Western to get coffee and try to get that image out of my head and we came back, the dead cat was gone and you could smell some cleaning chemicals.

Other than a bug and the dead cat (which clearly isn't the hotel's fault, but the lenght of time to clean it up was) this hotel is truly just average. Since I didn't have to pay for my stay at the Island Beachcomber Hotel (had a hotel voucher for only this hotel), I am not sure if I would pay to stay here again... Other's rave about it and other's hate it... I am sort of on the fence about this place...

if you are in a bind and need a place to stay for one night or two, then yes, stay here -- it is located on a beach and even though it is right next to the airport, there are no flights after 9pm and no jet flights until after 9am...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you're looking for modern amenities and a high level of personal service - stay elsewhere! If you want a retro-'50's casual (read: no shoes) old school Caribbean hotel and are a self-sufficient traveler, then the Island Beachcomber is a really great option. Directly on one of the best beaches on St. Thomas, and the closest hotel to the airport (no 45 minute taxi ride here!!), the Beachcomber offers simple, basic rooms (with a/c and tv), a delightful beach bar that I think is the best on the island, and an atmosphere that evokes memories of childhood trips to the islands in the '60's. Nothing changes here, and that's part of the charm, along with the fact that you exit your room (no elevator or common interior hallways) and are on the sand in a matter of seconds. If you want fancy, eliminate this one. If you want casual retro cool and care more about a great beach than about the thread count on your linens, I think the Island Beachcomber can't be beat. Friendly staff, old Caribbean vibe, good beachfront restaurant and bar. You can eat and drink here in your bathing suit and tee-shirt and feel perfectly at home!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!