“Beachfront Rustic - I Love It” 5 of 5 stars

Island Beachcomber Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8071 Lindberg Bay, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Palm Beach, Florida
“Beachfront Rustic - I Love It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you're looking for modern amenities and a high level of personal service - stay elsewhere! If you want a retro-'50's casual (read: no shoes) old school Caribbean hotel and are a self-sufficient traveler, then the Island Beachcomber is a really great option. Directly on one of the best beaches on St. Thomas, and the closest hotel to the airport (no 45 minute taxi ride here!!), the Beachcomber offers simple, basic rooms (with a/c and tv), a delightful beach bar that I think is the best on the island, and an atmosphere that evokes memories of childhood trips to the islands in the '60's. Nothing changes here, and that's part of the charm, along with the fact that you exit your room (no elevator or common interior hallways) and are on the sand in a matter of seconds. If you want fancy, eliminate this one. If you want casual retro cool and care more about a great beach than about the thread count on your linens, I think the Island Beachcomber can't be beat. Friendly staff, old Caribbean vibe, good beachfront restaurant and bar. You can eat and drink here in your bathing suit and tee-shirt and feel perfectly at home!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Peachtree City, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I will say that the gal at the front desk was very, very friendly and even told us that she was giving us an upgrade because we were "so nice"....her words, not mine. :-) We had just come from the airport where we had waited all day for a flight, and it was overbooked and couldn't get on...so, the Beachcomber was the closest hotel to the airport. Well, when we got to our room, the view of the beach was gorgeous and it had a cute little patio front, but the room was awful. If this was an upgrade, I would hate to have seen the other rooms. There were dried worms on the floor and dark moldy spots on the wall. There was even a pillow laying on the bed, with a head print where someone must have decided to take a nap and not put it back under the comforter! The comforter, as you can see in the pictures that I have provided, didn't even fit the bed! I hate to say it, but I couldn't even bring myself to sit on the bed or the stained chair. I went to hang up my jacket in the closet and it was also dirty and moldy (picture included). The towels in the bathroom were all stained, I couldn't bring myself to dry my hands. I quickly put on my bathing suit and headed to the beach....I decided that I was going to find a beach chair and sleep on the beach! Whatever critters were on the beach, had to be better then what might be in that bed. The room was $140 a night, so I at least expected it to be clean!! My husband and I walked the beach and realized there was a Best Western right next door that looked much nicer, he went to the front desk and apologized and said that we weren't happy with the room and were going to leave. The gal at the front desk was again very sweet and said that she understood and didn't charge us. I think this place could have potential......A renovation would be in order....even if it was just some clorox and paint!! The setting is beautiful on a gorgeous beach....it has great potential!

Room Tip: Go to the Best Western next door! But, if they cleaned up the hotel, the rooms that are on the beac...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kannapolis, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay on St Thomas. The room was clean and comfortable, with awesome views of the beach. We loved hanging out on the beautiful beach during the day, and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the bar at night.The entire staff was very friendly and made us feel like family, they even prepared a special dinner and a cake for my wife's birthday!!!
A big THANK YOU to everyone at The Island Beachcomber, we will be back again next year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just got back from an awesome week at the Island Beachcomber and would highly recommend it. The entire staff is friendly and the food was awesome. My favorite part was the beachfront bar. It has great drinks ( especially the painkillers ) and a large flat screen tv. You can always meet some interesting people at the bar and the staff is always fun and accommodating.

The beachcomber sits directly on the most beautiful part of Lindbergh Bay, complete with tropical flowers, palm trees, and turquoise water. The restaurant and bar are only a few feet from the beach and have the best views in St. Thomas. There are always great, new dinner specials and everything is cooked fresh and quick.

Our room had a king bed and a private porch overlooking post card quality beach views. Our room was clean and included a refrigerator, coffee machine, and cable tv.

It's an awesome place to experience St. Thomas and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the beachfront rooms
Chenango Forks, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My sister and I stayed here in a standard double room May 19,2012. While it's true, the room is nothing special, it was clean and beds were very comfortable, quiet air conditioning, great water pressure, 32" flat screen cable TV with a nice private patio out front with two chairs and a table. The landscaping is beautiful with paths through the flowers and bushes leading to an outdoor beach bar and cafe. The food is excellent and the people make you feel like family. Theresa, our server in the cafe, was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Extremely accomodating and personable to everybody. It was plain to see she loves her job and her life.
The beach is spectacular and 10 steps from the cafe and bar. It has complimentary lounge chairs for a wonderful afternoon in the sun (or shade). The price was $143.00 a night, very reasonable for a St. Thomas resort and the food was top shelf and not as expensive as some of the other places we ate! Can't wait to go again and stay more than one night.

Room Tip: ground floor short distance from cafe, outdoor bar and beach. Very quiet.
Vincennes, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

need I say more? the few dead ones in the bathroom didn't bother me that much because I was so tired. but when they are alive in the bed that's a problem. The manager seemed mad at us but he did move us, 3rd room appeared to be clean.

West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Where to start?
- I couldn't shower and my husband couldn't even shave because the water pressure was non existent. I'm not joking or exaggerating this, it seriously couldn't even wash the razor. I just managed to brush my teeth.
- The bathroom was filthy. I think it may have last been upgraded in the 60's, when it was last cleaned properly is anyone's guess. Bring shower shoes!
- Ditto the rest of the room, 70's decor, dirty and smelly
- I think the wiring was also from the 50's or 60's
- The carpet was beyond threadbare. Actually I'm not even sure it was carpet.
-,The building was so old and decrepit that the floor was at a slant
- $240 BUCKS A NIGHT!! WHAT A RIPOFF!!!
If I had paid $60 a night, then I wouldn't be so annoyed, but for that money you expect something halfway decent. There are two main accommodation buildings in the hotel, and I have a feeling that one of them may be more recent, which would explain the reasonable reviews. The building we stayed in was beyond upgrading and needed to be knocked down.
I travel for a living and have been on the go for the last 12 years and this is hands down, the worst place I have ever stayed in. Great location, with a beautiful beach, but it needs a demolition ball.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Island Beachcomber Hotel? Share your experiences!