“Perfect ending to our vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mafolie Hotel

You added Mafolie Hotel to your Saves list
Mafolie Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7091 Estate Mafolie | Mafolie Hill, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Copperopolis, California
“Perfect ending to our vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We spent some time on a boat, then some days at Cinnamon bay. The last 3 days of our vacation were spent at the Mafolie hotel. The hotel was unique, the view was beautiful, everyone that worked there were so friendly and helpful. The restaurant was superb, drinks and smoothies were great. I can say absolutely nothing negative about our stay and we definitely will return, but for more than 3 days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Mafolie is centrally located and looks over Charlotte Amalie from very high up on the hill, making it a wonderful vantage point to watch the world go by.

At night the lit up city below adds to the charm of the experience.

Breakfast delicious. Ask for a smoothie.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This spring my husband and I visited the Mafolie for the fourth or fifth time. We always request the same room because of the incredible view. The staff is excellent, the restaurant food delicious, and we love the low key breakfast and poolside lunches. I am sorry that I can't remember the name of our breakfast hostess; she was just lovely and served us delicious fruit smoothies. One of the things that I love most about the Mafolie is that it doesn't change. The Mafolie is a small boutique hotel. I would suggest that if travelers want the Ritz, they should book the Ritz.
Ginny Fitzpatrick

Room Tip: Not quite sure, although I think 116 or 216. We always ask for the room we had last trip.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The staff was kinda friendly. The view is famous and priceless. And the breakfast was a nice surprise. However it is a $9 cab ride to anywhere. I mean anywhere, so I suggest renting a car. Another thing that got me was how many potential surcharges you run a risk of being charged, if for example you forget to turn off the a/c (20 dollars), you lost your plastic key (20 dollars), overstay by 20 minutes, use the safe compartment in the room (20 dollars). Man the only thing they didnt write on the paper was "dont feed the cats on the premises or you'll be charged $20 per feed." Couldn't help thinking they are trying to capitalize on your mishap. All in all is a good bargain for the Island just make sure you rent a car and stay on top of the rules.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2fscondos, General Manager at Mafolie Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed our world famous view. I can tell you many of the surcharges you listed simply are not true. We encourage our guests to take our key cards home as we think they make a great souvenir. They are very inexpensive and hotels brand them with names and property contact information so you can always get a hold of us. The use of our in-room safes have always been complimentary. In fact we would have no way of charging or even knowing if you used your safe.

In the virgin Islands we pay over 5 times what you pay for electricity. We do have signs in guest rooms asking a guest to turn off the AC if they are not in the room. Not only is this the eco friendly thing to do but it could cost/save a small family run hotel like ours tens if not over a hundred thousand dollars annually in energy costs. We rarely if ever actually charge the guest.

As far as the late check out, we have NEVER charged somebody for checking out 20 minutes late. We almost always grant guests complimentary late checkouts and are certainly not looking to charge somebody $20 if they are not out within 20 minutes of checkout.

I am sorry you had this misunderstanding about our hotel. I would GUARANTEE you were not charged for any of these "surcharges" because its simply not how we do business. If you would like to discuss any of these I welcome your call. My name is Adam and I can be reached at 340.774.2790 or at Info@mafolie.com. Thank you.
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The view is worth every penny! This is a very small hotel - 15 rooms max. Staff was great, from getting cabs to recommending local restaurants/attractions. Majority of the guests staying here were married couples. The rooms are very spacious with small living area and fridge/microwave. Great pool area with the great view of the harbor. They do provide a daily shuttle at 10 am to either downtown or Magens Bay beach.

The Mafolie is located on a hilltop about 2-3 miles away from downtown. Which makes it very difficult to walk anywhere, so be prepared to spend anywhere from $40-$60 per day for cabs or rent a car. We spent about $500 for 8 days for cabs (Car was $450 without gas for 8 days) so it worked out for us. There is no room service - the only restaurant onsite is open for dinner only.

The Mafolie is a great hotel if you are looking for a small bread and breakfast feel in the carribean. You wont find the luxuries of chain hotels (Marriott, Starwoods) here, but it makes up for it by its charm and hospitality from the people who run this place.

Room Tip: Definetly calculate the cost of cabs into your room stay if you are planing on staying here. Just a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way back from the BVI's. The view is wonderful! You can see all of Charlotte Amalie from the pool and restaurant, and I'm sure most of the rooms as well. The staff was very pleasant and the lady at the pool bar was great! The rooms are clean and pretty basic, just know this isn't a five star hotel by any means.

It was good for a night's stay but I wouldn't stay there longer. Our room was a little dated and the location isn't really convenient to beaches or shopping. However I did see that they have a shuttle to Magen's Bay and to the shopping downtown so that would solve that problem.

Make sure you check your receipts though, when we checked in our receipt had us down for a higher rate than what I made my reservation online for, but I showed her my email receipt and quickly gave us the confirmed rate. I just thought it was weird that they would give me a completely different rate then what I made my reservation for.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in May 2013, our room had a great view and was clean and comfortable. It was not fancy, very simply furnished but perfect for our needs. The pool area was great and we had a decent dinner at the restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful, even going to their own accommodation to get me 2 Tylenol.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony facing the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mafolie Hotel? Share your experiences!