“Many Surcharges” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mafolie Hotel

You added Mafolie Hotel to your Saves list
Mafolie Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7091 Estate Mafolie | Mafolie Hill, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Miami, Florida
“Many Surcharges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The staff was kinda friendly. The view is famous and priceless. And the breakfast was a nice surprise. However it is a $9 cab ride to anywhere. I mean anywhere, so I suggest renting a car. Another thing that got me was how many potential surcharges you run a risk of being charged, if for example you forget to turn off the a/c (20 dollars), you lost your plastic key (20 dollars), overstay by 20 minutes, use the safe compartment in the room (20 dollars). Man the only thing they didnt write on the paper was "dont feed the cats on the premises or you'll be charged $20 per feed." Couldn't help thinking they are trying to capitalize on your mishap. All in all is a good bargain for the Island just make sure you rent a car and stay on top of the rules.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2fscondos, General Manager at Mafolie Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed our world famous view. I can tell you many of the surcharges you listed simply are not true. We encourage our guests to take our key cards home as we think they make a great souvenir. They are very inexpensive and hotels brand them with names and property contact information so you can always get a hold of us. The use of our in-room safes have always been complimentary. In fact we would have no way of charging or even knowing if you used your safe.

In the virgin Islands we pay over 5 times what you pay for electricity. We do have signs in guest rooms asking a guest to turn off the AC if they are not in the room. Not only is this the eco friendly thing to do but it could cost/save a small family run hotel like ours tens if not over a hundred thousand dollars annually in energy costs. We rarely if ever actually charge the guest.

As far as the late check out, we have NEVER charged somebody for checking out 20 minutes late. We almost always grant guests complimentary late checkouts and are certainly not looking to charge somebody $20 if they are not out within 20 minutes of checkout.

I am sorry you had this misunderstanding about our hotel. I would GUARANTEE you were not charged for any of these "surcharges" because its simply not how we do business. If you would like to discuss any of these I welcome your call. My name is Adam and I can be reached at 340.774.2790 or at Info@mafolie.com. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The view is worth every penny! This is a very small hotel - 15 rooms max. Staff was great, from getting cabs to recommending local restaurants/attractions. Majority of the guests staying here were married couples. The rooms are very spacious with small living area and fridge/microwave. Great pool area with the great view of the harbor. They do provide a daily shuttle at 10 am to either downtown or Magens Bay beach.

The Mafolie is located on a hilltop about 2-3 miles away from downtown. Which makes it very difficult to walk anywhere, so be prepared to spend anywhere from $40-$60 per day for cabs or rent a car. We spent about $500 for 8 days for cabs (Car was $450 without gas for 8 days) so it worked out for us. There is no room service - the only restaurant onsite is open for dinner only.

The Mafolie is a great hotel if you are looking for a small bread and breakfast feel in the carribean. You wont find the luxuries of chain hotels (Marriott, Starwoods) here, but it makes up for it by its charm and hospitality from the people who run this place.

Room Tip: Definetly calculate the cost of cabs into your room stay if you are planing on staying here. Just a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way back from the BVI's. The view is wonderful! You can see all of Charlotte Amalie from the pool and restaurant, and I'm sure most of the rooms as well. The staff was very pleasant and the lady at the pool bar was great! The rooms are clean and pretty basic, just know this isn't a five star hotel by any means.

It was good for a night's stay but I wouldn't stay there longer. Our room was a little dated and the location isn't really convenient to beaches or shopping. However I did see that they have a shuttle to Magen's Bay and to the shopping downtown so that would solve that problem.

Make sure you check your receipts though, when we checked in our receipt had us down for a higher rate than what I made my reservation online for, but I showed her my email receipt and quickly gave us the confirmed rate. I just thought it was weird that they would give me a completely different rate then what I made my reservation for.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in May 2013, our room had a great view and was clean and comfortable. It was not fancy, very simply furnished but perfect for our needs. The pool area was great and we had a decent dinner at the restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful, even going to their own accommodation to get me 2 Tylenol.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony facing the ocean
Naples, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

As long as you are not looking for a five star hotel, you will not be disappointed. The view from MaFolie is wonderful. I am not sure if I would like to spend a whole week there as it is not near any beach or other points of interest. You would need a car or take taxis which are pretty expensive.
Our room was clean but sparse -- over the restaurant so a bit noisy and with less of a great view from the outside balcony in front of the room. But less steps to the restaurant and the office. The pool is down quite a few steps. Small, but nice.
The breakfast, which is included, was excellent. The wait staff treated us to a fresh smoothie. Delicious.
We ate dinner at the restaurant at a table with a great view of the town and watched as the light faded and the town lights came on all over and on the mountains. Spectacular. The food was very good and the service excellent.
We stayed one night to extend the time we ware booked in St Thomas and it was a very good choice.
Compared to other hotels on St. Thomas, this one is a very nice one for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms above the restaurant do not have much of a view and are noisy.
Lenexa, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I'll be sure to update this as long as they take care of the problem, but it doesn't really matter what I think of a hotel property when I get charge once for the normal room rate (one night $195) and on the same day have an additional charge of $587.43! One of the two emails they have is bouncing back, left a message on their phone. If you don't see an update, assume I've had to take the problem to my CC company. :(

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2fscondos, General Manager at Mafolie Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Sir,
Let me apologize for our mistake. We had a new employee who unfortunately made an accounting error. It is my understanding that you had spoken with our front desk manager, your credit card was credited and this had been resolved. If there is anything I can do to help or if this credit has not “hit” your credit card please call me directly at 518-505-5609. I again apologize for our mistake.

Adam Israel
Mafolie Hotel
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a great hotel with a magnificent view and terrific restaurant/bar! It is above the town of Charlotte Amalie about 5 minutes drive, so if you don't have a car you need to take a cab into town, which is neither a problem nor expensive. We did not feel that the rooms or facility were "dated" but if you are concerned about this they are about to undergo renovation this off season. Very good value and a definite "no-brainer" yes to book for your upcoming visit to St Thomas!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mafolie Hotel? Share your experiences!