“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Inn   |   2307 Commandant Gade, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
New York
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

After reading a few other of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive about booking here, but the price was right, so I decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did! It was worlds better than I was expecting. The staff was super helpful and friendly, the grounds were very well kept, and our room was fresh and clean. Breakfast was made to order, which was a pleasant surprise (I was expecting bagels and coffee lol). And as a bonus, we stayed three nights and qualified for a complimentary tour of the island. I would have to say that we made a great choice and would defintely stay again.

Room Tip: Spring for a balcony. It's worth the few extra dollars.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Bunker Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review Margaret P! We are quite proud of what we've created here and are so glad that you took the chance and gave us a try. We appreciate your kind words and your patronage and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chenango Forks, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed here in 2003 and it was all right. Stayed here May 10 and 11 of this year and it was terrible. Had called to reserve room in Feb. 2012 and, because I knew there are many flights of stairs and no elevators, I specifically was assured we would have a first floor room ( only one long flight of stairs to deal with). My sister and I are in our 60's and each with 40 lb. suitcases, carry on's etc. There was no one available to help us carry our ags up the three sets of stairs and finally, the female desk clerk helped us when I told her I had back surgery a year ago and the hotel would be liable for any injury since I had been promised a first floor room!
When we got there, they didn't have a first floor room and were told there were none available. During our two day stay, we only saw one or two other couples so I can't believe they didn't have another room available. Also, their ice machine was broken as well as their soda/water machine. The air conditioner in the room blows cold air directly on the person in the doule bed nearest the door and it was hot,so it had to be on. We were suppose to stay one night the next week, but cancelled that night and found The Island Beachcomber Hotel right near the airport. A little more expensive but one of the best places I've ever stayed!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Bunker_Hill_Hotel, Manager at Bunker Hill Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Joyce T,

We are very disappointed that you would give our establishment such a low rating based on the fact that we did not have a room available for you on our lowest floor. To make up for that, we did give you an upgraded room with a balcony and lovely view of the surrounding hillside and harbor. I’m glad to know that your misgivings had nothing to do with the quality of our property, rooms and service. The other items you mentioned were minor details that could have been addressed in minutes had they been brought to management’s attention. For instance, we would have told you that the air condition vent is adjustable and that during the time that we were awaiting the arrival of our new equipment, ice and drinks were available in the lobby (there was a sign on the old equipment to that effect). As for the stairs, well, the best we could do for that was to port you luggage up and down for you, which we did, with a smile.

We are, however, very glad to know that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation on St. Thomas and St. John. Thank you for your patronage.
Apen, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed one night here before flying home to the usa. The location was really convienent to the tourist shopping area, & restaurants. At the same time, a little scarry! St Thomas (at least in the area we were in) is rough. I would not leave anything of value in the room.
The hotel is very basic-no frills. Some rooms have air con- some not. Some rooms have phones- some not. Some rooms have hot water- some not. Some rooms are clean- some not. Ours was not cleaned from the previous occupants (shower :-/) and no phone. So, if you find you are lacking one of these, just ask for another room.
There is a lovely small pool and outdoor lounge area.
The breakfast (included) was very basic as well.
I would not recommend this hotel unless it was your last option....especially since the price was over $100 a night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Bunker_Hill_Hotel, Manager at Bunker Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Provencegirl,

We appreciate your business, and do hope you would come again, but would like to clear up some mis-information.

1. We are located in St. Thomas' Historical District (late 18th/ early 19th century architecture), which is in Downtown Charlotte Amalie, just steps away from the main shopping area. We are not secluded on a resort, so therefore you will see and quite possibly interact with locals (in non-official capacity) in the area- nothing to be scared about at all.

2. We have been here for 31 years and in all that time have never had a single incident of guests missing anything from their rooms. This includes the jewelers and other main street vendors who routinely stay with us.

3. All rooms are air-conditioned. All rooms are clean. I do hope that if for some reason you found that the room had not been cleaned before you checked in, that you immediately returned to the front desk so that we could take care of you!

4. Our complimentary breakfast includes 1 egg, 2 strips of bacon/ham/turkey, toast with butter and jelly, juice and coffee or tea.

5. At under $100/night we are among the most budget friendly accommodations you will find on the island. The larger hotels are three to four times (sometimes more!) our rate, there is no complimentary breakfast and you still end up spending more on transportation. I can honestly say, that you won't find a better value for your hard-earned dollars anywhere else.

Again, thank you so very much for your business. We do appreciate the feed back as we are constantly working on improving our offering. Have a blessed day!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed here twice. It is incredibly well located for the ferries and the shopping area, safe, clean, and has a nice breakfast. There is a very small swimming pool and a wonderful view over the town. It is a great choice for a few days if you are passing through.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I arrived late and famished -- they hadn't fed us on the plane. The manager said most restaurants were closing about then -- but that if I told him what I wanted he'd run out and get it for me! (Instead I bought a tasty barbecued chicken leg from the bar around the corner). The room was VERY basic motel-style... 1970s-type fixtures, aircon kinda noisy... TV only showed a gospel channel. But breakfast on the porch overlooking the harbour was magical, and the view was amazing. The hotel is run by a lovely St Thomas family -- such a nice change from the sterile, impersonal chain hotels you find all over the Caribbean. The location couldn't have been better for me to catch my ferry to St. John: I just rolled my suitcase down the hill 5 minutes. I would definitely stay here again - and some of the other guests had already been there a week or more.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are up at least one flight of stairs.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I came to St. Thomas for a long weekend with a girlfriend. We booked at this particular hotel because the price was right, the pictures on the website were nice, and the lady who took our reservation over the phone was extremely helpful. We were not disappointed. The staff was friendly and helped us with our bags (lots of steps!) and the place is actually quite cute. Our room was clean and comfortable and the property appeared to be well cared for.

We had absolutely picture perfect views of the surrounding hillside and harbor. The free breakfast every morning was great. It was a typical one egg breakfast (egg, bacon, toast, OJ, coffee or tea), but I'm not the biggest egg and toast person so by the third morning, I asked if they had anything else and the breakfast lady offered to make me french toast. The french toast was to die for delicious by the way. Anyway, we were told by some locals on main street be careful in the area, but honestly we live in the city, so we have pretty good street smarts and we never felt unsafe no matter what time of day or night.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our time on St. Thomas and we would definitely stay at this place again. Oh and I should add that I travel quite a bit (try to get off somewhere at least once a quarter) and my last name isn't Rockefeller so I hardly ever stay at larger resorts unless I can find a steal of a deal. I prefer to spend my money where it counts- dinners, drinks, excursions and SHOPPING. I figure I'm only in the hotel long enough to change clothes between outings and sleep so why spend the bulk of my money there?

A tip- Book less expensive accommodations and spend your days at the resorts. That's what I do every time. That way you get to use the resort amenities (beach, pool, restaurants, etc., without paying the hefty resort prices. On St. Thomas we spent one day lounging at the Marriott and the next day over at Sugar Bay, then we spent a day in St. John and our last day shopping in town. That reminds me, the hotel is located right down town so we ended up saving a ton (A TON!) of money on cab fare. We were able to walk to most places of interest and catch the $1 taxis to others :)

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go ahead and get a room with a balcony. They have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Bunker Hill is only 2-3 blocks away (up hill) from all the shopping. It is nothing fancy, but it was very clean, included breakfast, and compared to other places very reasonably priced. I would certainly stay there again. (Note: The deli just a couple doors down has awesome Cuban Sandwiches)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bunker Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!