“For the price...great stay” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bunker Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Bunker Hill Hotel
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   2307 Commandant Gade, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“For the price...great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Bunker Hill is only 2-3 blocks away (up hill) from all the shopping. It is nothing fancy, but it was very clean, included breakfast, and compared to other places very reasonably priced. I would certainly stay there again. (Note: The deli just a couple doors down has awesome Cuban Sandwiches)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kelowna, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place has lots of character. Amenities are older, but are clean and working. We loved being within walking distance of the market, restaurants and historic sights. Breakfast with a view, friendly staff and cute little pool added to the experience. Liked that it's child-friendly. The neighbourhood is a little sketchy, but one shouldn't be walking about on their own at night anywhere and we had no issues at any time. Taxis arrive quickly if you order one from reception and it's about two blocks to the bus stops and taxi lot next to the market. We liked the price and plan to stay here again. Lots of steps to negotiate, but you'll be in great shape when you leave!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bunker Hill during "Christmas Week." We wanted to get away without spending a ton of money. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't the greatest experience.

PROS:
+Price
+Walking distance to the waterfront, shops, and some restaurants. We also walked to Yacht Haven Grande several times, which is a 15-20 minute walk in flip-flops.
+I'm gonna include breakfast here. It was more than I was expecting. However, I recommend walking down to Bumpa's at least one morning.
+Friendly office staff. They were very helpful and gave us advice for finding our way around the island, recommendations for dinner, etc.
+Air Conditioning

CONS:
- Mosquitos!!! My legs were covered in bites after our first night. Several other guests I saw were also covered. They were all over the room. I wanted to catch a gecko from the pool deck and bring it in to kill them.
- The immediate neighborhood. We didn't walk after 8:30pm, but every time we did walk we felt safe. However, we got lots of warnings about the neighborhood. I actually liked seeing both "sides" of island life. As for noise in the night, we had our AC on and didn't hear any outside noises.
- Our cab driver one night told me his friend was killed at the Bunker Hill Hotel. He said it was a domestic dispute. I suppose that kind of thing could happen at the Marriott, too, but I couldn't get it out of my mind after I heard it.
- The steps. We were on the third floor and we dreaded the walk back up to our room (65 steps - we counted).
- Our room could have used some updating. We did see some nicer rooms on the other side of the hall, though.
- Our shower didn't drain properly BUT it was fixed within a few hours.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel in january 2011. The hotel is located in the downtown area of charlotte amalia, and as a hotelguest you have an easy access to shops and transportation to other parts of the island.

Our room was clean and nice and we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff was extremly serviceminded - and they gladly gave us helpful information about transportation and attractions on the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Our only negative experience was that the final payment was 100 dollars higher than expected (taxes, according to the receptionist) - which was not announced on the homepage and therefore took us by surprise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I am a travelling nurse who needed a place to stay while I was looking for housing. This hotel exceeded my expectations. I was looking for a safe place since I travel by myself. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and accomodating. I liked their breakfast and also that it is located in a central place close to shops, city center, and many other places. The rooms were clean, there were mosquitos which I came to reason you find everywhere you go on the island due to the season so it is good to have bug repellant with you. The many stairs and no elevators made it hard to get my luggage to the room but staff helped me carry the heavy bags. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice, inexpensive hotel in Charlotte Amalie and especially if you want a place that is unique and not just like any other hotel you could stay in. I would recommend that females do not take walks alone at night in the surrounding neighborhood, just like in most cities, but generally I felt safe at the hotel, staff was always there to assist 24hrs. I did not care about having internet access because I had my own or watching TV since i didnt spend much time in the room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

I and a friend stayed here during our trip to USVI. We don't like to pay a lot for a room, because who spends vacation in the room? But we do like a clean place to sleep and good service. We got all of this at a good price at Bunker Hill. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. The neighborhood at night does get a little questionable in the evening, but during the day, it's just fine. So if you are planning to be out for dinner or drinks after 8:00, I'd recommend taking a taxi back to the hotel. But we walked in as late as 8:30 and experienced NO ISSUES at all. You also actually get to experience some of the real culture by staying here, rather than the sterilized environment of other hotels.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Hendersonville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

Anyone staying at the Bunker Hill Hotel in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas will not be disappointed. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and the room was sparkling clean with very accommodating maid staff, The manager recommended a little restaurant called Cuzzins not far from the hotel serving native Carribbean food and it was perhaps the best we had in the USVI We would definitely stay at the Bunker Hotel again should we have the opportunity to visit the USVI.

• Liked — the friendly staff, the room cleanliness and the view from the balcony
  • Disliked — lots of stairs; no elevator
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bunker Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!