“We'll be back again next year!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   8070 Lindbergh Bay | West, Charlotte Amalie 00802, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
New York
“We'll be back again next year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I hesitate writing this review because I'd like to keep this gem of a resort my little secret. But after reading some of the other reviews, I feel I need to share our great experience at Emerald Beach. The most important thing you need to know is that every room at this resort is overlooking the best beach on the island. Even with the patio door closed to your room, you can hear the water lapping on the sand and you get ready to sleep. The beach itself is why we came and we found it to be fairly empty except for a few hours during the middle of the day when cruise passengers joined the hotel guests. The water is clear blue, perfect temperature, and fairly calm - great for non-swimmers and young children. When we checked in we found out we had been mistakenly reserved for a double room, but the manager quickly switched us to a king room after working some magic. We also received tickets for two free drinks so we found ourselves right on the beach with a drink in our hands nearly half an hour after our plane arrived. We spent five days at the resort and only ventured into town one of those days because we didn't want to leave the beach and the pool. My husband who is very hard to please already made plans to come back again next year.

Just a final note. This hotel is not the Ritz, but for the price, you really can't beat the value. Sometimes the service is a little slow compared to what we're used to back in NYC, but I had to remember that we're on "island time," and it's a good reminder to take things slow on vacation. Any minor problems we had with service were quickly fixed by the great management team who makes a point of introducing themselves and asking about your stay.

We hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the beach - you can't pick a bad room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I certainly do appreciate you writing your recent view and letting other travelers know of your experience here at Emerald Beach Resort. I am so pleased that you found our Beach Location spectacular and that you enjoyed your interaction with our management and staff. That is what we are here for!

We do offer small touches that you just won’t find at some of the larger Resorts here on the Island. From our wonderful Manager’s Cocktail party on Mondays from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm to our staff knowing our guests by name. “Island Time” is a great reminder to slow down and enjoy your vacation at Emerald Beach Resort and enjoying all that this Island Paradise has to offer!

Thank you again and we do look forward to your next visit with us and welcome you into our Emerald Beach Family!

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
South Lyon, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed from April 3rd through the 8th. In 2009 we had our first trip, clearly it was a good one because we decided to go back. But apparently a lot can change within that time. We had actually booked this trip last year. But we arrived two hours before check in which was our fault nothing they could do, they allowed us to keep our baggage behind the desk so we could venture around the resort. That day 5 cruise ships were on the island, there was zero room anywhere. (Beach, pool, bar, restaurant) it was extremely disappointing. We had two rooms one of them was available a good 45 minutes before the other one. They both were in building three and on the first floor. The view was amazing, sadly the first room honestly smelled like pee..I wanted to vomit. The second room came with zero towels..we went to the front desk to ask for some and they said they would let house keeping know, well guess what they never came! Thank goodness we all had brought our own beach towels with us. On the 4th another person from our party arrived, he was in the same building but third floor. On two of the days we were there, some guys were working on jet skis..let me tell you they decided to take gas from one and put it into a gas can..can you guess what happened??? The whole area smelt like it, and on the second day the smell actually came into the third floor room. I went down to the lobby to voice my concern, the lady called the guy who owns them and had me talk to him, what a joke..he argued with me. Not once did I get an apology, but here is the kicker one of the bar tenders was working on said jet ski..so I talked to him about it he was also like oh it won't happen anymore..still no apology. Now the bar is a bar, super nice view high priced drinks. The bar staff is outrageous, and not in a good way. It felt as if I was bothering them to get a drink..one night I waited 15 minutes to ask to close my tab..unless you sit there all the time don't expect jack. On the other hand mr.jay was super nice he had a cool back story. This gentlemen who is a waiter at the restaurant his name was Paul is the most amazing man I have ever meet. I wanted to take him home with me, lol he made sure you had everything you needed or wanted and made conversation with you! These two are the only reason I gave 2 stars on service. Food is super expensive but it will be everywhere, it's not their fault. We are now planning a trip in 2015 (next year is a cruise) but we are looking else were..it's not worth the time and hassle for the money. And I suggest the same for you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
We try to offer a wonderful beach atmosphere with a variety beach activities that our guests can enjoy. Jet Ski tours are available on our beach and have been very popular offering our guests the opportunity to see our island paradise from a different perspective. I have spoken with the person in charge and he has assured me that they offer this activity with the utmost respect to our environment and to our guests.

We always strive to offer the cleanest and nicest rooms at the best value for your money. Our housekeeping staff works diligently to clean our rooms to the highest standards for our guest’s enjoyment. If there is ever anything not right with the room upon check in you can contact our front desk to make sure that it is taken care of.

Our Beach Bar has a wonderful location and atmosphere, only steps from the water’s edge. I am puzzled about your comment about our drink prices as we offer blended drinks for $7.00, well drinks starting at $5 with beers starting at $4.25. Our pricing is well in line with the industry standard and we offer some of the best prices on the island for drinks and food!

If your travels every bring you back to St. Thomas I would love for you to give us another try. You can contact me personally and I can assist you with your reservation and ensure that you will be well taken care of at Emerald Beach Resort

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Based upon other reviews and the proximity to the airport and marina, we booked this hotel for two nights, one night before our cruise and one night after. What a huge mistake!! I do not know how other reviewers could say that their check in was "quick" and the Staff was "super nice". There was never more than one person behind the counter working at a snails pace even though there was a line of people waiting to check in. Also, we never got anything but attitude from the staff, except for the lady that ran the boutique. On our first check in, we were told there were not pool towels at the time and to check back in an hour. We were told to use our room towels in the mean time. Since the room towels were paper thin, and we only got two, and I mean two towels, no hand towel, no wash cloths, just two old towels. In addition, the rooms are decorated with old wicker furniture, and were filthy. My feet were black from walking across the floor. We decided to grab a beer and and a bite and check back in an hour. Big mistake on grabbing a bite. My husband ordered the crab cakes. They smelled of old grease so strongly I could not stand to sit next to him. They also did not have any crab in them:(( Although the bar had a nice IPA on tap, our excitement quickly dwindled since after two beers, the tap blew and we were told that they did not know when they would get anymore. So...we decided to go get beach towels and try to salvage what as left of the day. We were told sorry, no more towels for the day, so we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon on our patio since the beach chairs are filthy and dilapidated. The only thing that salvaged the day was that we noticed another establishment down the beach. We walked down around 6 pm and found a rustic but cute restaurant and bar on the beach. We checked out their menu and all the seafood was fresh picks daily. We each had the cream of mushroom soup - homemade and made to perfection and the mahi mahi, served with spinach sautéed to perfection and rice. This definitely made up for going back our well below average room. We ended up having lunch there the next day, as well as every meal on our return stay. The kicker was when we checked out they tried to charge us $100 more than our reservation rate. When our taxi asked me what the hold up was I apologized for his wait, but that my husband was trying to correct our bill. He said that this was a common error at the hotel and was becoming a big problem for the guests. The only reason we returned after our cruise is that we did not have internet during our trip and could not book another hotel. This is a busy island, and we did not want to risk getting stuck without accommodations. They only nice thing about this hotel is the nice beach, that is why it got two stars.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviews are very important to us at Emerald Beach Resort. We are always working to make improvements at our Resort to ensure that our Guests enjoy their experience here with us. We always try to have 2 front desk clerks behind the desk during our busiest times during the day, and do apologize if you had to wait at check in. We employ a very friendly and hard working staff and they always try their best to meet our guest’s needs.

We do provide complimentary beach towels to our guests and our goal is to provide clean fresh towels at all times for our guest’s convenience. There are circumstances at certain times that may prevent us from reaching that goal, and we do try our best to have the beach towels available at all times.

We have a wonderful restaurant and wait staff and would never serve Crab Cakes that did not have any crab in them. I am sorry that we did not satisfy your taste, but we do receive many praises and positive comments about our restaurant and the food that we serve.

It is never our intention for our guests to encounter problems at checkout and our staff would never intentionally cause a problem. I assure you that this is not an everyday occurrence and we are sorry for any delay that it caused you.

We at Emerald Beach Resort do our best every day to provide a wonderful Caribbean Resort that offers great quality, friendly and gracious customer service; at the best price that we can. We want all of our customers to receive great value for their money!

Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hotel reception staff were less than helpful on a number of issues, slow and unfriendly. The rooms were of the standard one would expect to pay $50 for in the USA - this was over $200 and breakfast was another $17 on top.
The rooms and hotel area was tired. The remainder of the staff were friendly, charming and polite and the Idyllic beachside view gave the hotel some plus points, but only if you are death as it was right under the take off zone for the island's busy airport.
Lovely beach with safe water immediately in front of hotel, but be warned not to stray outside or snorkel up along the rocks as there was some shocking use of motorboats and jet skis there.

Room Tip: Go if you have money to burn and have never stayed in a Best Western elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
My name is Linda Mason and I am the Sales Manager at Emerald Beach Resort. I wanted to reach out to you to reply to your recent review that was posted on Trip Advisor. We do take each and every review very seriously and strive to always offer the best quality and service at the best price that we can.

Our wonderful staff is typically extremely friendly and helpful , always offering their best. I am sorry if you did not receive our usual Emerald Beach Welcome! We also work to constantly upgrade our rooms to include marble floors, vessel sinks, flat screen televisions, and Free Wifi throughout our entire resort; all to enhance our guest’s experience.

We are located on an idyllic Beach with each room just steps from the water’s edge with a large patio and a spectacular view of the Caribbean Sea. . We have a protected swimming area for our guests, but cannot control the public use of the Bay Area. On most days it is very quiet with very little traffic.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your recent stay. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, but we have many, many, happy guests who love staying with us and come back to visit year after year. We would love it if you gave us another chance when your travels bring you back to St. Thomas.

Emerald Beach Resort
sales@emeraldbeach.com
340-777-8800 Ext 5101
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We spent two nights here after a St. John vacation. We wanted something close to the airport for an early morning flgiht. Glad we stayed two nights. Very quiet hotel with lovely views from every room. Mornings were nice and peaceful. Breakfast buffet was expensive but tasted great. Drinks and dessert in the evening were lovely. Always taxis around. Go to mountain top for view. Must shop. Take a taxi to Drake's Passage for shopping. Taxi to the Yacht Haven Grand shopping and from there walk to Havenhill shoppes.

Room Tip: All rooms have view of the bay
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at Emerald Beach Resort. Our wonderful Beachfront location is just steps away from the water’s edge on one of the most beautiful beaches on St. Thomas. All of the Island’s food and supplies arrives by ship and we do our best not to pass that cost on to our customers; offering delicious, quality food at affordable prices!

Thank you for taking the time to right you recent review. We do appreciate your feedback! I look forward to welcoming you back to Emerald Beach Resort when you return to St. Thomas.

Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I nice friendly hotel, with a nice beach and just a mile from the airport. We had a great time. the staff were some of the nicest people one could meet. Several of them learned our names and greeted us by name during the day. The beach was nice and water calm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPlusEmeraldBeach, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
I want to thank you for your recent review on your stay at Emerald Beach Resort. We appreciate your time and effort! We use these reviews to constantly improve our Guests experience while they are staying with us! It is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us and please visit us again when your travel plans bring you back to St. Thomas!

Cruz Bay, St. John
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The check in was fast. The room was pleasant. But....not worth $288! OVERPRICED. The floor in our bedroom was full of dust and dirt. The bottoms of my feet got filthy walking barefoot in the room. The bed itself was comfortable and the bedding quality was very good as well as clean. The bathroom tub took forever to fill up, but there was water hot enough to bath in (just). The Internet did not work the entire time we were there. The location is excellent, as it is within a 2 minute drive to the airport.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, and there are stairs, so if mobility is an issue ask for a downstairs room a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay at Emerald Beach Resort. We do have a wonderful staff here at Emerald Beach; very friendly, welcoming and professional. Our housekeeping staff works hard to keep our Resort clean and orderly for all of our Guests enjoyment. The front desk staff is available 24/7 and is always willing to do their best to assist you while you are staying with us.

Our ultimate goal at Emerald Beach is to provide a High Quality Resort at the Best Value that we can. We offer some of the best room rates on the Island. We also have our Sister Resort, “Carib Beach” for those wanting a more informal and Ocean View Room at a lower price point.

We test our internet daily to make sure that it is in working order and offer assistance to anyone that may be having difficulties connecting to the Wireless Internet. We offer free WIFI for all of our guests which encompasses our entire Resort!

We do hope that you will visit us again when you find yourself traveling to St Thomas in the future and please feel free to contact me should you need any further assistance.

Sales Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach? Share your experiences!