Brings back memories of the old Sunset Beach near Cape Charles, VA. A time machine back to the 60s. Nothing fancy but, it was clean and relaxing. In some ways, run down. It does take some effort the get the sliding balcony door to move! And the doors below the sink tend to interfere with the mini-fridge door more than anything else. They're about to fall off anyway so, toss them. Coffee maker in the bathroom? Not the ideal location. It uses their filter packets so, don't bother taking your own coffee. No microwave.
The beach is rather small but not the least bit crowded. And the water couldn't be clearer. So clear that you can watch fish swim by if noone is in the water to scare them. It was a bit on the cool side but, once you jump in, it quickly feels quite comfortable. We were overlooking the bay so, the balcony was dark and cool in the morning. Which was a good thing. For a few hours in the afternoon, it becomes an oven! The balcony is small but just right for the two of us. However, it creates one heck of an echo. Maybe good for someone into karaoke!
The restaurant / bar was okay. The food was nothing special but the staff was great. Not a whole lot on the menu but something for everyone. There's a nice little bar at the beach access and the guys running the bar are great. On the topic of beach access, it is provided at the pool/bar/restaurant area only. No walkways between or through buildings. So, if you're waterfront, it's a great view but you're not gonna step out onto the beach.
There's a small shop across from the pool for postcards and such but, you won't find beer, tobacco (if you smoke) or food there or anywhere on the property. Closest thing is a hike down to the convenience store a mile or two away. One thing you will find at the shop is someone who can help arrange tours on the island(s). Snorkel, fish or whatever - just tell Bethany what you enjoy and she will hook you up. Oh, take your passports with you even if you're a U.S. citizen! We took a nice island-hopping / snorkeling trip and some of it was on British islands. Passports required.
If you want to get away and just hang at the resort - perfect place. On the other hand, you're not close to much of anything and will either use the taxis a lot or rent a car. Although, I wouldn't recommend renting a car on St Thomas. Your call. I've driven some difficult places and don't like giving up the freedom to explore but St Thomas - no. By the way, drive on the left and when crossing the street, look the other way for oncoming traffic. And when the cruise ships are in port, it will be VERY congested. They pretty much close the town when no ships are in. It becomes very quiet and also left me looking over my shoulder. We felt safe there but, at times, caution is advisable.
Since the resort is across the street from the airport runway, expect a lot of engine noise. Yea, at times it was annoying. For the most part, it was just background noise and just depends on the individual. Some complain about it and some just don't pay it any mind. My thoughts - don't worry about it.
Overall, we felt safe at Emerald Beach and enjoyed our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only 100% beachfront resort on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands! Tucked into sun-splashed Lindbergh Bay on the Island of St. Thomas, the beautifully appointed Best Western Emerald Beach Resort welcomes guests with the gracious look, style and service of the Virgin Islands' rich heritage. BIG King Size Beds and Spectacular Views from EVERY ROOM! FREE High Speed Internet Access. Flat Screen TVs with Cable TV, 100% Beachfront Views with Balcony and Adjustable air-conditioning. Surrounded by landscaped gardens, cascading waterfalls and lush tropical settings, the Emerald Beach Resort offers a central, convenient location close to the airport, shopping, championship golf and all of St. Thomas's great activities and adventures. With the bounty of land and sea captured in stunning views, it's the perfect place for a memorable vacation. Or an unforgettable wedding, meeting or corporate event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Best Western St Thomas
- Best Western Emerald Beach Resort
- St. Thomas Best Western
- BEST WESTERN PLUS Emerald Beach St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands