“Manage expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windward Passage Hotel

Save Saved
You added Windward Passage Hotel to your Saves list
Windward Passage Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Veterans Drive - Waterfront | P.O. Box 640, Charlotte Amalie 00804, St. Thomas   |
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Manage expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This is not a beach resort. Yes, it is on the run down side. But it is a great location for doing some shopping downtown or for a quick overnight stay. Our room was clean, but in need of updating. The room was humid and while the air conditioner wasn't the best it performed great during the night. We did eat at the hotel as well since there is really nothing for breakfast on a Sunday morning within walking distance. Breakfast was a pleasant surprise. Good French toast and omelettes.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My stay at Windward was from 6/23 - 6/30 to celebrate my daughter's wedding. The General Manager was unprofessional because I had questions about transactions that were apply to my credit card. Also, he did not want to address concerns from other members in our group. Most of the rooms had a moldly odor in the rooms, and some of the bathrooms had to be clean with cleaning solutions that were brought from home. On the first night, an unknown rodent was in my room. A couple days later we found out it was a mouse and was moved to another room. Once assigned to a new room, there were roaches in the room. The only staff that were professional were the employees that handled the wedding reception. Based on this experience, it was the most horrible place I stayed in. It would be a long time before I would travel to St. Thomas.

Room Tip: I have no comment.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights - our friends had a newly renovated room which was very nice. We had an old room that was not so nice. I think half of the hotel rooms were being worked on while we were there. Our room was quiet, but our friends who were on the same floor, but faced a different direction, complained of the loud music and noise from the area behind them which went on into the wee hours of the morning the first night (Sunday). Monday night was quiet for them. The hotel lobby and the grounds are nice and is in a convenient location - only 10 minutes from the airport, and about 2 blocks from the Tortola ferry, which is how we arrived. The staff was friendly and our rooms were cleaned daily. They had free internet which, for me, is essential when traveling. There are restaurants within walking distance (the Green House, Green Go's, and Pasta Go-Go are all excellent) and lots of shops are nearby. We took an island tour with David who found us walking down the street and we were very happy he approached us. It was supposed to be a one hour and forty-five minute tour, which turned into 4 hours, all for $20 a person. He drove us all over the island, told us the history of St. Thomas, took us to some beautiful overlooks and introduced us to areas for us to explore on our own the next day. We took the local "bus" which came by every few minutes and for $1-2 per person, we were able to travel the main part of the island, go to the beach, and explore some fun bars for happy hour. If I was in St. Thomas for more than 2 nights, I would not stay at Windward Passage. For us, it was the end of a 3 week trip to other parts of the Caribbean, so the hotel was okay for what we wanted.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is horrible from the customer service, the rooms, the pool, and other issues. We was there for a Wedding, we couldn't get checked in on time, the rooms was filthy, mice infested, roach infested, and mite infested..The pool has no clorine, trash, and chipped paint floating in the water. As far as customer service, If you book through a third party, they wouldn't make any adjustment for the issues brought to them, like toilet broken, cold showers, and rodents. I got so sick from the ventilation and bed mites, my doctor was glad I came home in time to take antibiotics....It was a horrible hotel, if you choose to ignore my post, book through the hotel rather than a third party, so you can get your money back....

• Stayed June 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

1) Turnover - When I started the group bidding in October 2012 the Director of Sales was Nancy Williams, but once I made an inquiry the General Manager at the time Juan Fernandez referred me to the new Director of Sales Mr. Phil Roseman. When then booked the event with Mr. Roseman and even met with him in NYC, as he lived there, to discuss the details. The general manager has changed as well.

2) Poor Communication - My mother attempted to contact Mr. Phil Roseman in reference to our contract via email and phone and had no response. It wasn't until I called the hotel in regards to reservations in which I asked about his whereabouts and was informed Mr. Roseman was no longer working for Windward. I received the new contact person now, Kellie Greaux. My mother and I spoke to her via email and phone and she wasn't even aware of our contract for the wedding reception. This was the first week of June a mere 2 1/2 weeks before my event. Kellie then said she needed to revise the contract in a format she was used to and finally got the contract together and did work with us.

3) Poor communication with Financial concerns - My mother was alerted on her account that an incorrect amount was removed from her account than agreed for the reception. When we spoke to Kellie she researched it and said it should have been the full amount and was sure that the amount removed from my mother's account was something else. In between this mess, my husband had talked to the general manager, now Fahid Syeh (may have misspelled this) about tasting the food. It wasn't until my mother and I went to the front desk frustrated that Kellie had did not further research the issue and the money was still authorized from my mother's account that the general manager presented himself. Things initially got very heated and we all sat down and clarified that there is no specific accounting dept as Kelli referred too and that the money is placed on hold and not fully charged until after the event is over. We understood that, but this was not what Kellie relayed to us or knew herself. Nor was she available the day of the reception as she said she would be to ensure everything went well.

4) Rooms - The rooms were very subpar. They did not try to keep the rooms close by. Some people were on different floors. I asked the lady in charge, Linda Nelson, who was very nice, and she said most of the rooms booked are doubles, so they will try their best. There were a few rooms that had double beds that were taken by other people and the rooms were right next door to us and they checked in afterwards.The first day my mother's room had a creature in it we could not find and had maintenance look for. Yet a few days later we found that it was a mouse as it came back out in the evening. They moved her to another room, but the manager said oh all hotels in St. Thomas have mice. In all my stays in St.Thomas, more than 4 occasions and other islands, from timeshares to hotels, I have NEVER experienced mice. Once moved there was also a roach in the new room. When we checked into another room, in which we had my 3 yr old ring bearer, he picked up a piece of glass in the room. This was also their first day. Most of the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor recked of mold and one of the room's shower curtain had mildew. They NEVER changed the sheets only made the beds. Some of the women had to request their sheets to be changed. There was very loud construction every morning as they were still renovating some rooms. Throughout the construction, they left mattresses uncovered in the rooms. When one of my guests asked if they could change their room because of the noise they refused. I'm guessing the mice may have come from the construction as well. The last night one of my friend's watch and bracelet was stolen. The thermostat in our suite was old and had asian writing, so I wasn't sure on how to operate it but we made the best of it. Most suites I've been in would have a stocked fridge or gift which this had none, but this wasn't a major concern to me amongst other things. Not to mention some ex-employees that worked in a nearby restaurant informed us that they have a class action suit against the hotel. The food in the restaurant was ok and they had no activities going on.

Anytime, we tried to talk to the manager to voice our concerns he immediately would get defensive and walk away. I would never return to this hotel again as there are many issues there. This is by far the worst stay I have ever had and I was even more embarassed as I had my family and friends to endure such difficulties.

Martinsburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Similar experience to Chris C. The rooms are being upgraded, which is fine. We were on the third floor, and the room at the end of our side, around the corner from us, with a door we couldn't see, seemed to be for one-night stands. We also had a great view of "Big Cock's Bar" from the back of our room, and one night heard gun shoots at 3:30 AM from the back neighborhood. Our room was not vacuumed during our week stay, the sheets were not changed, nor the bathroom cleaned except for towel/toilet paper replacement and general pick-up. Some staff were helpful, some not. Locals in general not very friendly. It was a good location from several restaurants in walking distance, and for shopping if you are so inclined. Lots of garbage lying around in the streets outside the hotel. Panhandlers around for the eating and shopping crowds, and a few people sleeping under trees outside the hotel. We were only there for vacation, and spent most of our time outside the hotel doing day long activities. The hotel did provide free taxi service to a great island beach. Being near a ferry dock was not helpful, because the only regular ferry was to Tortola, where we stayed several years ago. You had to take a taxi to Red Hook to get the ferries to other islands. We should have stayed at a beach resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Charlotte, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed one night on way to Tortola by Ferry. This hotel is walking distance to downtown and across the street from Ferry Dock, convenient. Hotel rooms are old, but clean. Good, reasonable cost place to overnight on the way to your real vacation. Not a resort hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms face a large center court. Higher floors are probably quieter. One elevator...rooms on op...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!