First of all, I want to say upfront that if I were vacationing in St. Thomas this would not be the place I would pick. It is not a 'resort' but it doesn't claim to be one. We came to St. Thomas to take a Seabourn cruise out of the port, and added a day after our return to see a bit more of the island.
This hotel is near the port and also convenient to the airport so the location couldn't have been better. Also, since we had no car and we are not dumb enough to be out walking around the area after dark, it was a great location for shopping and food during the daylight hours. We were able to really experience the shopping district and god some fabulous bargains (bought a lace tablecloth that was similar to others I'd seen on different islands for 'half price' at $90. The one I picked up in St. Thomas was $30!!! Also, there are some charming, interesting antique shops and gift places that are not like the 'usual' cruise port fare. Very impressed.
When we arrived straight from the ship it was early, about 10 am. Not expecting to have a ready room, especially since it was Spring Break for many college students. I guess a lot of them left the week before. We booked the room through Hotels. com but called to make the reservation. We asked for and were told we were getting the last ocean view room. True to their word, we did and it was. AND it was clean and ready for us, so we didn't have to park our bags near the lobby desk, which made us a bit nervous, as I had jewelry and other valuables in my bags. There was also a working safe in the room. We'd met some folks on the cruise ship that told us they'd stayed there before they boarded and that the place was really kind of a mad house with all the kids vacationing there. They also said they had a 'back' room facing a ball court. They put their stuff in our room while they waited for a time closer to their flight and were very impressed with our room, joking about 'who do YOU know?'. Also, true to their reviews, the bed was very clean and comfortable with nice linens and good pillows. True again.
Finally, in the evening we had drinks at the outdoor bar near the pool. There were some families meeting there and a a few 20-somethings but no loud noise at all. The pool looked nice though we never used it. The bartender (I feel terrible as I cannot remember his name!) was fantastic and mixed reasonably priced, great drinks that he seemed to time perfectly when we were ready for the next one.
All in all, I would definitely chose this hotel for a one or two night layover if heading out somewhere else from St. Thomas. Nothing fancy, but I can report nothing bad about our experience. The room WAS over $200, but you have to consider the fact that it is HIGH SEASON and after all, in the Virgin Islands. Can't really expect it to be cheap!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Windward Passage Hotel is truly your bargain in paradise. We are perfect for business travelers and the ideal choice for short stays and shopping trips. Centrally located, overlooking the picturesque Charlotte Amalie harbor, we are within walking distance of the major downtown shopping district and an even shorter walk away from the ferry and seaplane docks for transit to nearby islands. Transfer to the beaches is convenient for all our guests, so they miss out on nothing on our tropical island. Our Ocean View Rooms boast a breath-taking view of the harbor and our staff is courteous and friendly. We are constantly updating and improving our facilities to serve you better. You are welcome to stop by and pay us a visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Priceline, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Windward Passage Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Charlotte Amalie Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Charlotte Amalie
- Windward Passage Hotel St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands