“Make sure you confirm your rate” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Windward Passage Hotel

You added Windward Passage Hotel to your Saves list
Windward Passage Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Veterans Drive | Waterfront, Charlotte Amalie 00804, St. Thomas (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
“Make sure you confirm your rate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Living in St Croix on a extended engineering job and had to travel to St Thomas for a couple of days for business. Picked the Windward because it was centrally located and near the company I am working for. Called 4 days in advance to make sure I got the company rate. Was told by the person I spoke with that it had to be taken care of in person at the hotel. I asked should I book online to hold the room, or just wait until I get there to book. The person (sorry forgot the name) I spoke to said, no problem, book online and make sure you let them know who you are working for and they will give you the corporate rate. WRONG. When I checked in I informed the front desk, and got the following: 1. No, I do cannot do that, since I am not authorized to change your rate after you book it. 2. The only person able to do that is not available. 3. You can talk to the desk in the morning and I am sure they will fix it for you. Fast Forward to check out. Same response for 1 and 2 that I got from the night desk clerk. Then of course they wanted to argue with me about the bill. I told them just give me the bill and I will deal with the corporate office.

In general the hotel was nice, rooms were clean, beds were good.
Just don't walk two blocks behind the hotel because you will be in a neighborhood that you would not want to be in at night.

Either way my story turns out, I will not be staying at this hotel again for any of the trips to St Thomas. There should be a manager onsite at all times at a resort hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room at check in or if you can when you book online
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philip R, Director of Sales at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thanks for your feedback Dave. Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the room rates you experienced. I'm going to pass your comments onto our Reservations manager and General Manager to see what we can do to keep this from happening in the future. As a hotel that hosts many corporate accounts, we do our best to keep accurate records of the rates offered, but in your case we "dropped the ball". Please be assured that this will be reviewed and a better method put in place as soon as possible.

I also wanted to mention that two blocks behind the hotel is one of the major shopping areas in Charlotte Amolie. Like most downtown locations, these stores are all closed in the evenings so guests don't visit this area. There are many great restaurants along the waterfront and in Frenchtown.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and two other couples stayed here for one night prior to boarding a charter catamaran. The service is poor and the bar does not open until 5pm. The location is OK since close to shopping and ferry terminal.
Our room was clean but older and the toilet broke during the night.
We have all traveled within to the Caribbean and understand a relaxed pace for service. This place has surpassed that and have gone to horribly slow particularly in the restaurant. When we asked if we could dine outside we felt it would be a huge inconvenience.
If you need a place for a very limited stay this is OK but not great. I would not suggest for any lengthy stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Philip R, Director of Sales at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for posting a review and offering your comments about your stay. As a downtown property, most of our guests are out of the hotel during the day and don't utilize our bar services until they return in the evenings. Additionally, with so many excellent outdoor options within walking distance many find it enjoyable to try out these restaurants and bars for cocktails during the day.

I was very dissapointed to hear your comments about the attentiveness of our staff. I completely agree that in the Caribbean, the pace is much more relaxed, but slow service is not something we like to hear. We continue to do training with our entire staff, and please be assured that while this isn't typical of our team, I will be sure to pass your comments onto management to review our service guidelines.
Clarksville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The people who worked there were very nice and helpful. They were knowledgeable of the area. It is located right in the shopping district so you can walk to food, shopping, etc. Nice clean hotel. We plan on going again and using this hotel. Mind you, this is not a fancy fancy hotel but everything was nice and clean. Great price on the rooms. You are right in front of the harbor so you can see the sea plane taking off plus the cruise ships coming in. Great location!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are in a good location.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Fine hotel with 4 wings and 4 floors around a courtyard in the international/local style without to much personality but well kept.

In the courtyard there were a gift shop, bar, restaurant and electronic casino. Restaurant serves reasonable food but not cheap. On the second floor was a plateau with swimming pool, mini golf and laundry facilities. Here it was also allowed to smoke. Last night at the hotel raised the wind a parasol and threw it in the back of the head in one of our guests, she escaped but it was an unpleasant experience.

Good large, clean rooms with harbor views. Here you could see water plane to St. Criox land and take off. There was a small terrace but sliding door lock did not work so they had located an aluminum pipe to prevent the door slid up. Lovely double bed and elegant bathroom. AirCon is easy to control so you can pick the temperature you want all the time.

The hotel is next to the major harbor boulevard, Veterans Drive, which was pretty busy. Here also drove young MC back and forth Friday and Saturday evening: it could be heard inside the hotel.

Windward Passage is located not far from a neighborhood where you are not recommended to walk alone at night. But just behind the hotel is a cafe / nightclub with an outdoor grill where they have excellent grilled food you can bring to the hotel.

Hotel service and service was ok so I can recommend the hotel for singles, couples or families.

Room Tip: If you can choose, then choose a room with wiew to the harbour. My room was 341 and that was OK. St...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We booked a room at the Windward Passage Hotel in June for a January stay. In July, our plans changed and we had to cancel that reservation. Despite numerous emails (unanswered) and phone calls (unanswered), we were not able to get a response to our cancellation request. In January, we got a "looking forward to your stay" email from the hotel. Our response to that email, saying that we had cancelled in July, went (you guessed it) unanswered. We subsequently got an email thanking us for staying at the hotel and asking for our feedback. We actually did get a response when we responded to that email.... it was returned as "undeliverable".

This hotel may be OK if you actually stay there, but if your plans change, it appears that you are completely unable to cancel. We are out of pocket one nights stay at a hotel we have been trying to cancel for the last 6 months!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the confusion you experienced with your reservation. Some of what you experienced is due to automation in our bookings, however, I'm not sure if you booked directly with the hotel or through a travel agent/online booking system, but it's no excuse for us not being more responsive. We are continuing to work with our reservations team to keep these sorts of issues from cropping up and I'll pass your comments onto the team to see if we can find out where we missed the mark.
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our room and view was stunning - 3 floor corner room with a panoramic view, room decor and size was spacious and very nice. Tile floors, couch, two person dining table, king bed, overlooking the harbor. We originally booked 6 nights (professional photographers we were on business) we arrived January 1st, 2013, then we added 3 nights on to the end of our business trip to really experience the island. This hotel, the staff, and services were ideal for us. Room Service was exceptional, food was delicious, room was spotless, bed was so comfortable, check in staff/front desk were warm and extremely helpful. It is the perfect hotel and location for those who prefer to feel the island rather than plant themselves in a resort.

We visited Frenchman's Reef very large - service lacking - but a perfect honeymoon resort. We also spent the day at the Ritz Carlton (lunch, spa, and dinner) and stunning location much more intimate and again perfect honeymoon location.

We loved the Windward Passage because we not only had a reasonable room rate but we had a perfect location (dead center of the island harbor with easy access to all areas). Our room was awesome and we traveled the island fully to small bars, restaurants, shopping, beaches etc. Driving on the wrong side of the road on their steep curvy roads was a blast.

So I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for the full island experience.

Room Tip: Request a harbor front corner room - large, spacious, panoramic views of ocean and mountain, we had...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here 1/10/13, picked for walking proximity to Ferry to BVI early next morning. Room was pleasant, bit noisy due to traffic. Bartender has been there 30 years and quite charming. Dinner was Italian - I was expecting something a bit more, Caribbean. Great place to stay as jumping point to BVI.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!