“It wasn't that bad...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windward Passage Hotel

You added Windward Passage Hotel to your Saves list
Windward Passage Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Veterans Drive | Waterfront, Charlotte Amalie 00804, St. Thomas (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Rincon, Puerto Rico
“It wasn't that bad...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this place once before. The tropics are just that. Expect the open air halls to be wet from rain and the island attitude, everything/everyone is slow, it's called "island time". What's the rush? You're on vacation! If you wanted 5 star then you should go out and pay for 5 star. Remember, you're on St. Thomas so everything is expensive, if you expect to pay less than $200 per night, you get what you pay for. Yes, the cable goes out when it rains but the cable goes out on islandwide, there's nothing you can do about it. Would I stay here again? Yes, probably will, the room was clean, the people were nice, the price was right. I am from the islands, so I totally understand what it's like.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I checked in yesterday, and was disapointed among other things for the dirty bathroom. Also, when I reserved the hotel, my husband reserved a king bed. Today I went to the front desk to see if we could solve the issues. As to the hairs and dirt, they said maintenance would soon clean the room, that they would advice them.

As to the king bed issue, they said that our reserving a king bed was just a request, and they were not obliged to honor it. They allege that they have no rooms with king beds available. The front desk lady said there was nothing she could do. She was extremely rude. We have had to sleep on separate beds in our vacation. Should we have known that there were no king beds, we would never have stayed here. Why would you go on vacation to more unconfortable than at home? This hotel is old, dirty, has rude staff and don't comply with the contractual obligations made at the time of reservation.

• Stayed November 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We reserved through Travelocity for a king size bedroom. To our surprise when we entered the room we found 2 full size beds. The hotel's response was even more incredible...the reservation is a "request" that they decide whether they can fullfil or not. Oh, I did not see any renovations although the building, bed, pillows, sheets, towels, etc are dated.

Beware of meal pricing, a simple (6 item) breakfast buffet is $20.00 as well as an ice cream scoop with a piece of a simple cheesecake.

One positive, the hotel offers free wifi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I just checked in at the hotel, after a long day. I got room 430. I was looking forward to a hot shower. The shower walls and floor were full of short hairs. The water in the shower didn't drain well, so I was showering with a pool of water. My husband fell asleep waiting for the tub to drain. The towels were stained, and the bathroom was overall dirty. The room floor was also unclean. I don't feel confortable walking barefoot, dreading I might get some sort of disease. The tv is from the 80's, and many channels don't work. It is only 8:30 pm, and there is very loud music and screaming. Tommorow I will request a room change, to see if we just had bad luck, but from what I am living today, I would never stay here and would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012
Tortola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I reside on a neighboring island and decided to stay at the hotel for one night. Check in was very slow. When we finally got to our room we were greeted by buckets and a wet floor. There were buckets under the obviously not working a/c unit. We immediately phoned the front desk only to be second guessed. They sent a maintenance man to access the situation. He seemed genuinely surprised to find that our story was true and he said that he would be back with a key for another room. So said, so done. The other room was nice enough but the windows were not sound proofed and we were serenaded by the sounds of revving scooters around the corner, and an early morning steel pan processional. Even during check out when they inquired as to our stay and I told her about the ordeal nothing else was done and it was brushed off as no big deal.

No additional provisions were made on our behalf to fix the situation and it is safe to assume that if we had caused a scene and threw a hissy fit we would of had better customer service. It shouldn't take that extreme to be justly treated...especially in your own country.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed October 2012
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a recent sail in the BVI. The location is near the water, however at night the area is a bit scary to be walking around in. The front desk is a bit slow, however your on the an "island mon"! We ate both breakfast and lunch at the hotel and it's nothing I would go bragging about. The beer was cold though!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Juan F, General Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you, we appreciate all of our guest feedback that reaches in a timely manner. It is important for us, as we utilize our guest comments to consistently improve our hotel. Since your visit from Jan. 2012, we have made several improvments to the hotel with a new room renovation, guest amentities, new restaurant features and menus. We look forward to your next visit if you passing from St. Thomas onward to the BVI's.

with hospitality,
Juan- G.M
Rowlett, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE, BAD SERVICE, CRIMINAL EMPLOYEES, ONE OF THE WORST LOCATIONS on the ISLAND. Great view but do not step outside at night unless you want to get mugged. Sirens go off at all hours around the hotel, I grew up in Oakland, CA and the island trash is just as bad if not worst.

Room Tip: Find a hotel on red hook instead if your staying on this island.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Juan F, General Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your response, it is unfortunate to read your opinion. Our hotel is directly in the heart of Charlotte Amalie and has the attraction of shopping, ferries and sea planes to other islands. We are located directly on the main traffic roads of the island. The concern of your comment in regards "criminal" employees I would like to discuss with you. Please send me an email via tripadvisor or info@windwardpassage.com to discuss this directly. We are a very professional hotel and seek the highest of service standards for our employees.
We wish you the best in your choice of hotels and certainly hope you give us another attempt for hospitality on St. Thomas.

Been to Windward Passage Hotel? Share your experiences!