“Dont expect too much and you will find it OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Galleon House Bed & Breakfast

You added Galleon House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   31 Kongens Gade | P.O. Box 6577, Charlotte Amalie 00804, St. Thomas   |
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Dont expect too much and you will find it OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Good Points, Central location, v comfy double bed, great small and relatively quiet air con unit, flat screen tv with cable, cool water available for free at reception, vending machine for cool drinks at reception, friendly staff, helpful information folders at reception, only 10 mins walk to ferry terminal to visit other Islands, decent b/fast which is scrambled or fried egg, two rashers of bacon or 2 small sausages, 2 pieces white or wheat bread, or a fruit plater or pancakes are available instead. A small glass of orange or cranberry juice is also provided.
Not so good points, my room door (333) was wide open on arrival, would have been nice to have at least the door shut and preferably the air con unit on prior to my arrival as they knew my arrival time from the airport, I also got bitten several times whilst reading local information pamphlets in the room, they might not have got in if the door was shut. Towels and sheet linen had finger sized holes in them, the towels were very worn and really need replacing soon. If you are in the rooms next to reception be aware that the walls are very thin and you can hear everything.
If you are reading this then you have probably made the decision to be in a central location in the downtown area, however be warned, after around 6pm very few places are open, I walked around for 40 minutes before I found a place to eat, unfortunately the only place I found open was a Macdonalds about a kilometre away. Also be warned do not walk along a road called back street late at night (called Wimmelskaft on google maps) which is 1 block back from main street, I did, looking for somewhere to eat and even early in the evening it is full of druggies and drunk locals.
For info its $8 in a shared cab from the airport to this place, they also charged me another dollar for my backpack. Dont expect to get a cab to yourself, they are all minivans which they fill up and send to several destinations.
I used the local bus to travel around the Island, pretty good, $1 or $2 depending on how far you travel, small open sided trucks with bench seats in the rear, they come along every 10 - 15 mins, however they only stick to one main route around the Island, CA to Red hook via the Tutu mall in the centre of the Island, they do not go to Magens bay or the beaches on the South coast. Also note you have to pay an entrance fee to some beaches like Magens bay beach. This was $5 plus a parking fee if you hire a car.
In Summary this B&B is fine if you choose to stay centrally on St Thomas, however having toured around the rest of the Caribbean Islands I would not choose to stay at St Thomas again, the USVI's are very overpriced, especially for accommodation, try another Island such as St Marteen where they have fantastic free beaches with plenty of night life at a third of the cost for accommodation...

Room Tip: Try for a new room up the steps past reception, they looked to be built with block work rather than...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I were in St. Thomas for our honeymoon as a present from her grandfather. We stayed at the Galleon House our last night and it was truly a great experience. We had to change locations on the island before our check-in and they were happy to let us drop our bags and hang out by the pool. We even went down and had lunch before moving into our room which was great. Very clean room, amazing breakfast (strongly recommend Chris's pancakes) and an awesomely friendly atmosphere. If we ever get the chance to make it back down to St. Thomas we will definitely be staying with them again.

It is a bit of a hike up the stairs to the main patio so pace yourself and just enjoy the island!

Isle of Palms, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

tl;dr: My wife and I would gladly stay here again. Iguana, cisterns, and good company make this place a good visit & base of operations.

Just off the main market in Charlotte Amalie is Galleon House. The small-room inn is a mix of a couple adjoining properties (typical), and there are some great views of downtown and of the harbor. Breakfast and check-in take place at a covered deck. Breakfasts are made-to-order by the SUPERB staff. Gail was our host, concierge, and chief storyteller while my wife and I were there. It's a great indication of a host's personality when you are content to stay in and relax with a beer while you listen to their stories. Gail can also arrange pretty much any excursion and transportation. She was kind enough to share some property-grown produce and cooking implements for us to use at the poolside grill.

Expectations note: this is an older converted property, so do not expect typical motel- or hotel-level décor. The rooms are clean and functional (ours was a bit dusty, but had a private bath - worth asking for!). The help is knowledgeable and understanding. The location is central. These things make it a great place to return to after a day of adventuring. It's not the right place to go if you want to lounge by a resort pool. Also, the inn is located on a small hill and up some stairs, so plan accordingly.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This bed and breakfast is perfect. Steps to the City Center and the folk who run the place are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about where to go and what to see. The room rates are extremely reasonable and affordable along with being clean and well kept. Every day brought in a new crop of travelers and stories to hear. By the time I left I felt like a local even though I only stayed with the Galleon House four days. Skip the resorts and stay at the Galleon House. You're walking distance to all the major sites and shopping plus they have a nice pool for cooling off after a long day of site seeing. Can't say enough about my stay with this Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the views of the Bay. My room room had a nice balcony, perfect for my mornin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was my 1st time ever leaving the states and I must say I had a Ball. The Virgin Islands lived up to the Hype and the Galleon House was Icing on the Cake. Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Galleon house for 7 days so we got a chance to experience how the staff Really treat their guests. I must say they made us feel welcome and right at home from day one. This is a very nice place to stay for the value. Although some people dread the many steps leading up to the Galleon house I personally enjoyed the mini workout. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the pool but it looked very clean and well kept. I did however chill on the deck and enjoy my iguana company from time to time. Breakfast was great and always on time. Our room had a private bathroom and the house keeper replaced the linen daily. We were on a strict budget and I felt we got our money's worth at the Galleon house. The location was perfect as we were only a few blocks from Stores, Transportation, or my favorite FOOD. The Staff was Amazing!!! They were very knowledgeable, and very friendly. At the drop of a dime Gail and Kevin were willing to provide us with any info about the Area such as the best Restaurants, how the Locals were, Beaches, How to get around, etc. No matter how many questions we threw their way they were always happy to help. This is coming from a person who never met them before and afterwards I would consider them Family. Whenever we plan another trip to the virgin islands budget or no budget we will Definitely be staying there again.

Fort Rucker, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Awesome place to crash! We stayed for one night and arrived rather late, the host were more than welcoming and awaited for us to arrive to we could check it. Very laid back, easy, cool atmosphere. Sat down with them while they finished there dinner and had great conversation with them over a few drinks. They cooked breakfast for us that morning and it was damn good! (Breakfast was included.) If you are looking for a low budget place to stay for a night or two I highly recommended it, walking distance to the bars as well. I will be staying here again next time I go to St. Thomas!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We concluded our bareboat vacation in the BVI with a day in Saint Thomas. The Galleon House was a wonderful quaint B&B located steps away from the center of the city. Chris is a great host who will offer advice on restaurants, views and attractions. (Be sure to check out "Jen's" restaurant). Though the stairs are a bit arduous to reach the B&B the view of the harbor and city is nice. The rooms are clean and the bathroom was big with a large glass block shower. The morning of our departure we had our delicious personally prepared breakfast and still had time to walk up 99 more steps to Blackbeards Castle which is about 75 yards from Galleon House. And we even saw the perpetrator of the poop on the pool deck - an iguana! This is a great place to stay and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Galleon House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!