We had a wonderful stay at Bluebeard's Castle. While other reviewers find faults, which alarmed me and lowered my expectations, my wife and I found the staff to be pleasant, professional, and accommodating. Front desk managers, maintenance people, store clerks, and concierge were all pleasant and capable of meeting our needs. The building and grounds are improving and the well traffic'd areas are in good order. Their priorities are in the right locations.
There was a mix up regarding our room. However, the staff quickly responded to our need and assigned us a nice room in the Pirate's Pension (Frigate) building with a lovely view over the bay. There was no indication that the resort was at fault. Perhaps our travel agent failed.
Here's my top ten positive comments:
1.) The resort is on a hill with unique, beautiful views of the bay.
2.) The lobby is newly remodeled and attractive.
3.) There is a new store within the lobby for small food items and gifts. Nicely built and run.
4.) Our room was very clean, spacious, and accommodating. Solid and Quiet.
5.) Maintenance crews were very respectful as they worked on remodeling.
6.) The pool area is nicely maintained and the ideal spot to sun bathe
7.) We used taxis all week long and they came quickly when called for. Bellhop did well.
8.) You can comfortably walk to downtown or the harbor if your young and physically fit.
9.) While there are three restaurants on the property, there is no overpowering smells.
10.) Security guards paroled the property making a safe location more comfortable.
Here are my top five negative comments:
1.) It's on a hill. Handicap accessibility is impossible in some locations.
2.) There are a LOT of stairs with poor or no lighting. It's an insurance agent's nightmare.
3.) There are sections of the grounds that are in great disrepair and possibly unsafe.
4.) There was trash, broken beer bottles, restaurant goo, and a leg bone possibly from a goat all along our direct path from our villa to the main lobby. (I wish I was exaggerating).
5.) It's on a hill. Bring an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) with you if you walk up it. LOL.
One last observation: While there are both young and old people staying at this resort and all are very nice people. Retired people dominate the scene. It's like going to church - more white heads than anyone else. I didn't observe any young families.
The three restaurants are well managed and busy in the evenings. The restaurants are within the resort complex but under a separate ownership. The owner gave me a very good tip as to where to find cigars on the island.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebeards Castle
- Bluebeards Castle Charlotte Amalie
- Hotel Bluebeards Castle
- Bluebeards Castle St Thomas
- Bluebeard's Castle Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bluebeard's Castle is an historic property dating back to the 1600's. The resort occupies an entire hilltop with spectacular views overlooking the harbor and town of Charlotte Amalie. Its signature red rooftops are among the first sights for arriving cruise passengers.The resort includes a centuries-old fortress bearing the name "Bluebeard," after the infamous pirate, and check-in takes place in the former residence of the Danish governor of the island. This tropical paradise is the perfect place for a private getaway as it is set on a secluded hilltop and overlooks the harbor of St. Thomas. Bluebeard's Castle is centrally located in the most desirable part of the island with world class shopping minutes away. With only a short drive from some of the most popular beaches in the Caribbean where you can enjoy boating, scuba diving, snorkeling and windsurfing. The island itself offers a wonderful assortment of duty-free shopping, world-class restaurants (including the top-rated ROOM WITH A VIEW on location!), hot night spots, and a variety of local flavor to satisfy every taste. This resort features history, breathtaking views, and easy access to town. Beaches are literally minutes away so you can visit them all including easy ferry rides to St. John and the British Virgin Islands (Tortola and Virgin Gorda). You will see why owners at the resort are passionate about their units. It is this passion that will once again be the reason that Bluebeard's Castle will become a sought after destination resort. Many lucky RCI members will take advantage of this now! The resort is in the midst of a historic multi-million dollar remodel that will change all that you have heard. The proof is found in our regular maintenance reports as well as our news and picture sections. Also, schedules of on-resort dining are now posted in these reports. Owners are excited about what the future holds and you should be as well. Spread the word. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, BookIt.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Bluebeard's Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.