“Service and View bar none” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5 Estate Bakkeroe, Charlotte Amalie 00801, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Dallas, Texas
“Service and View bar none”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I arrived late at night but my luggage did not. One of the bellman overheard this and before I could even find a toothbrush in the store he had purchased one and toothpaste for me. What a great way to welcome me. The room has a great view of the harbor - I could see the cruise ships from my balcony. The terrace bar was very relaxing and provided an exceptional view. I was extremely happy with my stay and plan on returning again soon.

Room Tip: There are a few "wings" and I would suggest that you ask for one based on your needs. I li...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and pointing out our bellman for anticipating your needs! We’re glad you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

1,800 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a nice property, with many helpful, friendly employees along with a number of employees that ignore you and act as if you are bothering them when you ask a question. I read the reviews prior to booking and thought the negative reviews might be exaggerated. I think they were mostly accurate. This is an isolated resort. You cannot walk anywhere. You must taxi with the overpriced rude drivers or plan to stay at the resort. If that is what you want, it is perfect for you. It is overpriced and the restaurants overpriced, An excellent convenience/gift store with friendly staff but with prices doubled on most everything. The management listens politely to your complaints and does nothing. Joyce G seems to be kept busy with unhappy guests. I can understand why. I have never written a negative review before, but with the cost of travel and the room, felt I needed to express my unhappiness with this resort. I would suggest that the negative comments and the positive comments both be read. Reality is somewhere in the middle...which makes this place only mediocre. I would have difficulty recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views. We were on the lobby level and the picture is from the room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting the observations you made while staying here at Frenchman’s Reef. Indeed, our famous views of Charlotte Amalie and the Caribbean are beautiful and the reason this spot was chosen for the resort. We are located about 20 minutes from the airport. For the benefit of our friends here on TripAdvisor, we would also like to add that in addition to the taxi service, other options include renting a car, booking guided island tours and utilizing our scenic ferry service to Charlotte Amalie. Our pre-arrival team is here daily to answer any questions you may have. Regarding your service impressions, I am sorry you did not experience our signature warm responsiveness across your entire stay. You are correct that we do use the information gathered for growth and improvement. If there is anything further you would like to discuss regarding your experience with the management team, feel free to send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. I would welcome the opportunity to be in direct contact with you. Thank you again and we hope to have another opportunity to win your loyalty!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here for 10 days. The hotel is nice with decent size rooms. The beach and pool are nice, but really have no frills. There really isn't much to do at the hotel. A cab ride is needed to get anyplace as the island is really hilly and there isn't any room for people to walk. A cab into town is $6 per person each way. My biggest issue here is that there are 3-4 restaurants on the property, each one only has 5-6 main meals on their menu. Some of them are the same items as other restaurants. A rotating menu would be really nice. A few more towel stands on the beach would be good as well. Overall a good experience, but a few small changes could make a big difference.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We sincerely appreciate your comments and helpful suggestions! Sounds like you had a great stay with us and took advantage of all the island has to offer!
Havelock, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were part of a large group that came the end of May. We arrived on a Thursday and our first impression was great, what a beautiful location. We were having a great time enjoying all the amenities of the resort. On Saturday we had dinner at the Aqua Terra and my husband left one of his cameras [waterproof Nikon] on the table. He didn't realize it until the next day around noon. We went to the restaurant to see if anybody had found it but they didn't seem interested in helping us. Finally the next day we talked to someone on the security staff. They just took down a description of the camera and told us it was probably gone. I even called the Claims Department and finally got a claim number but was told there insurance doesn't cover those type of losses. Well I'm out a $300 camera and all the videos and photos from our trip. So if you plan to eat dinner at the Aqua Terra hold on to your belongings. Too bad because the trip started out on such a great note. By the way, don't order the Prime Rib. Mine was almost all fat I complained to the manager and he just said well I can get you a free dessert. Not very satisfactory. The restaurant by the pool was great and had excellent service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and feedback. We’re happy your first impression of Frenchman’s Reef was great and your group had an overall enjoyable time with us. However, it must have been very disappointing to be enjoying your vacation and then realize your camera was missing. I am sorry to hear that we have been unable to find it. When an item is found anywhere on the property, staff members are directed to take it immediately to security. So, that’s the right place to leave your information. If there is anything further I can assist with, don’t hesitate to reach out to me through the hotel. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just returned from a another wonderful trip to St. Thomas and would stay no other place. This was our third stay in the last four years. Marriot Frenchman's Reef is our favorite resort ever, and that is why we keep going back. The view of the harbor is breathtaking, especially when the lights come up in the village at night. The cruise ships come right into the harbor. Charlotte Amalie is a fun little place to walk around, shop, and eat. The staff at the Marriott are the friendliest that we have ever encountered, and we have been to the majority of the islands in the Caribbean. We ate at Coco Joe's and Aqua Terra, each one twice. The service is outstanding at both. Monday and Thursday is the lobster buffet at Coco Joe's and the seafood was delectable. It is open air right on Morning Star beach. Aqua Terra overlooks the harbor; the food was delicious as well.
The rooms are very clean and spacious. We always ask for the same room. Renette remembered us, and she kept our room spotless. The breakfast buffet is the best we have ever had, and it sustained us until dinner. It is certainly worth the $24.00. Eunice remembered us as well, as did several other servers. We just love the entire staff. The infinity pools are beautiful. We did scuba diving and snorkeling while there. Coki Beach is a great place to dive and snorkel. Sapphire Beach is great for snorkeling, too. Coral World is a fun place to spend a few hours. We loved feeding and holding the lorikeets.
Please do not think twice about staying at the Marriot Frenchman's Reef. We miss it already, and cannot wait for our next visit. Hope you love it as much as we do!

Room Tip: We love the harbor wing because the balcony view of Charlotte Amalie is breathtaking. We like room 4...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for making Frenchman’s Reef your favorite resort! We sincerely enjoy the opportunities we have to remember guests. I will pass along your compliments to Renette and the rest of our staff for great service. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance!
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We went with our 7 year old. The service and food is terrible. Nobody cares way too much apathy. Could just be an island thing but we are used to nice hotels and good service. We could not wait to get home. Rooms did not feel very clean. We had an ocean view suite but it had a staircase that was spiral and narrow. It was a real pain. I would go to St. John in a hot minute vs staying on st Thomas any day. Would never go back

• Stayed March 2013
I am sorry to hear we were not able to meet your expectations. Please know that we do take all reviews as direction for improvement on all levels. If there is anything you wish to discuss further with our leadership team, feel free to send us an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference your review. Our resort offers several different styles of rooms and if you should have a change of heart and visit St. Thomas again, we can assign your family to a room that accommodates your preferences. Thank you again for staying with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is your standard Marriott mega resort. The resort was clean in the rooms, pool, and restaurants. The restaurants were very accommodating to vegetarian dietary requests. The exterior mainly tennis courts and painted ocean front walkways are in need of some maintenance-- rusting tennis court fence and peeling paint. The beach provides snorkels, rafts, boogie boards, and kayaks for guests to use on the Marriott beach without an additional charge. The waves are a bit rough in the afternoons. Coco Joe's on the beach is best restaurant for breakfast at and has wonderful nachos. If you like to drink rum get "the bucket" of rum punch, keep the bucket for your stay and refill it at a reduced resort price throughout the property's restaurants. The dining room breakfast buffet I was not impressed with and it was insanely priced for breakfast. There is a store at the resort that also caries a variety of food items. The spa gives good massages but a bit over priced, however you have use of the quiet spa pool for the whole day of you spa services (nicer adult pool other than the swim up bar). Due to the location of the resort you will need a taxi to go anywhere or a rental car. TAXI services beware they charge by the person and for bags--bring lots of cash $10-15 per person each way. Taxis are expensive to and from entertainment downtown and to the Ferry service to St John. Apparently, the Marriott has a water ferry we did not get to use it as we were informed it is in dry dock-- over the July 4th holiday, so it is there usually.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your helpful review! We appreciate you mentioning some of the highlights of your stay such as Coco Joe’s restaurant, the cleanliness of your room and Morning Star beach activities. Very helpful! Also, we’re glad you had a great day at our Lazuli Spa. I can understand your feeling that the location of the resort, which is about 20 minutes from Charlotte Amalie, was not as convenient for you while the resort ferry was down for maintenance. We can report that it is now up and running and provides a scenic alternative to the island taxi service. Before your next visit, feel free to reach out to me personally through the hotel so I can assist with your transportation options. We want all our guests to have easy access to all the sights St. Thomas has to offer. Thanks again for spending your holiday with us!

Been to Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort? Share your experiences!