“Perfect! (minus the employee who called me fat)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5 Estate Bakkeroe, Charlotte Amalie 00801, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
NYC
“Perfect! (minus the employee who called me fat)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel. Full set of amenities and activities. Personal bad experience was with concierge Zogisle who said he liked to go to the beach with people like me and my husband - one who is fat, the other who is pasty white - so he looks thin and tan. Overlooking those horrendous words in our first hour here, the rest of our experience has been great.

Top tips/learnings:
1. St Thomas is very hilly and Frenchman's reef is a up and away, through very, very narrow & hilly roads. Only drive if you are a superb, fearless driver. Don't forget they drive on the "wrong side" of the road.
2. Iguanas everywhere. Marriott did a great job having iguanas relocated off the property, but they are all over st. Thomas.
3. Cab rides are cost per person
4. Give yourself extra travel time... Cabbies try to wait until their van or pickup truck is full...and then make multiple stops.
5. Gorgeous water. To see fish, crumble dog biscuit into the water.
6. Visit the Marriott adventure desk and talk to Allison.
7. Food (like all islands I've been to) is expensive. Havana restaurant was the priciest but the best.
8. Sunblock is a must... It may seem obvious but despite our efforts, we are both burned.
9. Restaurant service is friendly, but lack accuracy. (Husband ordered cheesecake, got key lime pie, asked for fruit instead of fries, got fries anyway, didn't order a coke but got one anyway, etc etc. No biggie but...yeah)
10. A waterfall is listed but is just for viewing off a deck.

Overall love the Marriott ... I feel safe, bug-free, and with plenty to do here. Hotel room is comfortable, the AC works well, the pools are clean.

Stayed April 2013
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased to read you had a perfect stay, regardless of the initial negative impression. I would like to offer my apology for the unacceptable behavior your encountered. Please know this is absolutely not the standard nor goal we strive for here at Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort. Your comments are taken seriously. I would also like to thank you for the ten tips you offer other travelers. They are very helpful and practical! If there is anything else in particular you would like to share with me directly regarding your stay, please contact me through the hotel (if you are still with us) or send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. I am here to serve you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This resort sits on a beautiful beach. Very private. There were some off site visitors that came but it wasnt enough to make it too crowded. The food wasn't great other than Havana Blue upstairs. This is recommended. Great atmosphere and drinks. The rest of the dinning was okay but the staff seemed disinterested in welcoming or not even happy you were there. I would recommend enjoying the grounds and beach that was private enough for a couple relaxing days and using the other time to go visit St John. Better snorkeling and the National Park gives you much more air to breathe and really take in the beauty of the USVI.

Room Tip: Stay down on the beach at the Morning Star. Beachfront balcony view is the way to go. Get the second...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you did not experience our signature warmth from the on-site restaurant staff. We take all reviews seriously and appreciate your compliments of our beach and spaciousness, as well as your service improvement suggestions. Thank you again for staying with us!
Independence, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I had a very pleasant and enjoyable week at Frenchman's Reef. We are planning to visit again at some time in the future. Beautiful oceanfront views; wonderful weather; great poolside experience; perfect massage at the spa. Everything we could have asked for. We arrived early on Monday using the Elite desk for check in; Sidonne was very accommodating and offered exceptional service, not only on check in, but particuarly throughout our stay. Thanks, Sidonne!

Room Tip: Ocean front views are exceptional. Less noise on high floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for specifically pointing out Sidonne for her exceptional service throughout your stay! We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to that next visit!
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We go to St Thomas every year for a family vacation. We love the Marriott Frenchman's Reef . The staff is just so great. Antonnette got us started out right by giving us a great water view room. It's always amazing to watch how close the cruise ships come to shore. This year we booked a trip to the BVI's through the Adventure Center there (remember to bring your passports!), a snorkel trip on the CAT (a catamaran), and a very fun evening on the night kayaks (which we did last time we visited). The Adventure Center staff made it so easy to plan out our vacation. Aside from our excursions that we went on we mainly lounged by the pool with a cocktail in hand. We'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Get a water view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely compliments of Antoinette at the front desk and our Adventure Center staff. I am delighted to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your excursions. Also, great passport tip! Please don’t hesitate to contact me through the hotel if I can ever be of assistance!
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stay with Marriott over 140 nights a year and I can honestly say that this was the bottom of the barrel. We did not get into our rooms until very late the day of arrival. Housekeeping showed up about 50% of the time. Service in the restaurants was terrible. We did the "all inclusive" package for meals and drinks thinking it would be nice to not have to worry about those items but I was wrong. When we checked in we were told to not tip but to write on our bill AI to indicate that they were going to receive a gratuity automatically of 15%. If they were good I would leave more as cash but that was only one person at the pool that deserved that. I was actually chased down a couple times because they did not understand what AI meant. Finally I asked for a late checkout of 2 upon arrival and based on the elite status this was granted. The day before we left we were instructed we had to now be out by 12:30. The morning of checkout we were told we had to be out by noon. I cannot say how bad this hotel and experience was. I will never stay here again and recommend to anyone to go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry you had to experience frustration due to service consistency failures. On behalf of our resort, please accept my apology and know that I am working with the leadership team to rectify these mistakes. In order for us to investigate properly, would you be willing to be in direct contact with us? If so, please send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve in these specific areas.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I spent a very enjoyable week here with my family over the summer. It was a great experience and I would be more than happy to stay here again. The Room was very nice, and the view was stunning. I liked the beach and the beach side cafe. Of course the gift shop's merchandice was a bit over priced, but that's to be expected. The facilities were a tad bit worn, and the elevator was not working to go down to the beach, but I did not mind taking the steps. The hotel was not over crowded and it was pretty relaxed. The location of the hotel is a bit secluded as it is on the tip but again not an issue. There is a little boat which they provide to ferry you across to town. I did like that there were two parts to the hotel which in turn provided more pools and facilities. I would recommend staying here to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your glowing recommendations! We hope you do return again this summer. Look for some great specials right here on TripAdvisor!
Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We read reviews before purchasing a room with Marriott points for 11 days and 10 nights at the end of March. We reserved a room for friends, as well.We had emailed ahead to give the Elite desk our arrival time for room prep;however, our plane had a "mechanical" causing us to arrive 3 hours later than originally expected. We had requested an ocean view with access to a Marriott upgrade availability as a GOLD member. So, upon check-in we were surprised to find that our rooms were NOT ready.(Sadly, I honestly think that they had already given our first choices of ocean-views away to those with the earlier connecting on-time flight from other states) They gave us one, but had to put our friends luggage into it until their room was available (embarrassing for us as they are used to going to Hawaii for vacations and were not expecting this from a Marriott Hotel). We walked around the grounds for a bit and discovered that it was beautiful and treated ourselves to a cocktail at the lobby bar (wish that the lobby hostess would have offered a free tropical drink beverage upon arrival, since we had to wait for settling into our rooms). It had recently rained and there was ONLY one gal taking on the job of trying to dry off outdoor seating and tables :( She was doing her best, but Marriott Management needs to think of first impressions, as we do in our own homes. After settling into our rooms, and freshening up, we asked the bellhop for a recommendation for restaurants on St. Thomas; he suggested Mims; we thoroughly enjoyed it's beach-side atmosphere,food, and fast service.

Our maid (rm #3522) was sweet and left us extra body wash, since I had asked her about it. However, our friends in room 3506 had to keep asking for washcloths bc their maid only delivered one each time (What's up with inconsistency of training?). Our maid also replaced our sheets late one night when we turned back the main coverlet and discovered that our new sheet had fresh blood on it (Blah! Maybe she tore her fingernail, or something??!!). Both rooms had mold in the grout of the bathtubs (Maybe management can request maids to use a mold cleaner on the grout-lines, such as bleach??). The hallway was narrow due to being an older part of the hotel and they have a musty dirty smell ( I have asthma and ALWAYS take notice of dirty smells and dirty air filters)
The breakfast was worth paying for the full buffet to have your eggs or an omlett made to order. Antoinette is a lovely waitress and will take care of you with a pleasant personality of quality island hospitality; she is a FAST worker and keeps her customers happy.Maybe she should train the rest of the waitressing staff (?).
We had a saying of "being on island time" in all of the Marriott restaurants, bc they were very SLOW in servicing tables, whether you had a reservation or not. Havanah Blue was our favorite for dinners, but expensive.(And watch out for Ryan adding to your tip on your final bill; we had tipped him 20% and he doubled that! We corrected it at checkout, but read your bill carefully)
Take the ferry into the town of St.Thomas on days when the cruise ships are sparse and ask for George at the House of Rajah for great deals on jewelry.Glad that we took a taxi and didn't rent a car! Take the ferry into St. John and walk to the shops and take a taxi to the Trunk Bay Bh.for a whole afternoon (enjoyable!). The day spa in St. John looked nice, too! [We had wished that we had gone to St. Johns Day spa instead of the Marriotts, bc they messed up my original request for a couples deep tissue massage and gave us more of a hurried gentle massage bc we were there last customers for the day. The music stopped right at the beginning , no one asked us of any health concerns, filled out paperwork ahead of time, or even what scents we requested.(Worst professional massage ever!). I wanted to treat my wife.]

We had asked for an upgrade in our rooms when we checked in and there was no note made in the "system" until we continued to go to the front desk. We were finally moved to the newer building on day 7 and were pleased with the rooms' clean scent and even the size improved.We were on the 8th floor in #1803 but suggest and even numbered room across the hall for better views.

The 4 pools were nice and cool (not heated for evening swims). Having taught FL.lifeguards, I was happy to see staff finally clean and check the ph balances in the main pool. Sadly, the bar orders were not taken at poolside until our second week, bc the management didn't fill Diedra's position while she was off; she is irreplaceable and a super bartender/fast server! [Also, I might suggest that the "bar-pool" be made as an "adults only" (21+) pool, so that parents don't have children in the same pool as drinking adults] I would also suggest to Marriott making the poolside orders of individualized pizzas like tomato, basil,& motzarelli chz.on a crispy crust/flat bread and small appetizers. The iguanas are a bit intimidating when lounging poolside;Clap your hands to shew them away and do NOT feed them!
Wake up early and walk the grounds for exercise, play tennis, or watch a sunrise. Have a $4 c. of java from the gift shop and try one of the breakfast cakes...yum! But go and enjoy beautiful St. Thomas location on a cliff in the Carribean.
I rated this hotel lower bc of the slow service and the old building that we had to stay in the first week of our stay. As a frequent traveler (weekly for work), this has an ideal location on St. Thomas, but lacks the quality assurance of the Marriott branding expectations. We will return within the next year to see if it improves its' services toward Marriott Gold/Diamond members..

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean view facing westward on a higher floor with an even numbered room & make sure i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the extensive review of all aspects of your visit. Your observations and suggestions are invaluable to our leadership team! I am so pleased that despite your mixed feedback, you enjoyed our resort and plan to visit again to experience our service improvements. If there is anything else you would like to add to your comments or if our leadership team can assist with your next reservation, I can be contacted directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Been to Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort? Share your experiences!