“Extreamly Disorganized.... do not trust with your cretid card!” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $50 Credit
Toronto, Canada
“Extreamly Disorganized.... do not trust with your cretid card!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a group of 30 people from my family this past December. While staying there I shared a room with my sister and two of my cousins. To start off they tried to put the four of us in a room with one queen bed. They told us that at we had "reserved" two doubles but they did not "guarantee" the room there was nothing they could do (i.e. no compensation). Thankfully my cousins did not arrive until the next day and they told us we could switch rooms then. If we wanted to switch rooms we would be have be out of our room by 11am and our new room would be ready at 2pm latest... it was not ready until 3pm. At this point we all made a huge fuss and got the room for the first night compensated.... or so we thought. I should also mention ours was not the only room mix up from the group. Upon check out we all wanted our bills; however, no one could provide us with anything more then things charged to the rooms (i.e. food charges). Three months later everyone's credit cards were all billed. To my surprise I received a bill for nearly $3000 charged to my credit card. The reason I was so surprised was I was not supposed to be billed at all, the bill was supposed to go to my uncle who had booked the room. The only reason they had my credit card was becasue I checked in first and they needed it for damages. Upon check in two people guaranteed me they would not bill my card (so much for their supposed guarantees). Upon trying to sort out this charge (which took about a month), we asked for the charge break down (we only got this because we asked), which SURPRISE the night we were supposedly compensated they had no record of. When the hotel refunded me the money they gave me back $100 less then they had originally charged me because of the exchange rate.. this was their mistake not mine, so they should eat this charge. And now they have billed my uncle three times, and maxed out his credit card. This was not the only mistake the hotel had made from my group, just the only one I can describe well. The resort in terms of rooms, food, and amenities were okay, but nothing spectacular, I have stayed in nicer places, which cost less money. To add to that the food was over priced and the walk to the beach was way to far 10 to 15 minutes from the main tower of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I can understand how this would be frustrating!. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. From what I can gather after reading your review, you were able to get this sorted out. Nevertheless, I would like to apologize on behalf of our resort for these billing errors. On our end, I can say that we have made some personnel, procedural and software changes in our front office operations this year in order to eliminate future issues of this kind. If there is anything further I can assist you with, please send me an email at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. I would be happy to help.

2,819 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

After chartering a sailboat for 1 week, we added 4 extra days at this resort. The highlight of the resort were the staff (amazing). Here's the breakdown:

STAFF
They staff were amazing, friendly & helpful. Everyone of them said hello and talked to my kids when we walked past or were waiting for the shuttle down to the beach.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD
**you can buy an all-inclusive option, or just breakfasts or nothing in advance**
I bought breakfasts included...when you go for breakfast, you sign a form to charge it to your room (so they can get you to tip the staff) and then you must remember to ask for those meals to be refunded when you check out...don't forget!

We ate 4 of the restaurants on the property

Coco Joe's
- beachfront, casual, near the pool
- first night had the Caribbean buffet which was very good food but was $300 for family of 5!!
- you can eat there "a la carte" but we didn't. also "a la carte" breakfast offered

Aquaterra
- ate buffet breakfast there everyday. large selection, very good food but expensive too: $30/pers My kids loved it...something for everyone even had smoked salmon, eggs Benedict etc. Ate dinner here one night, it was good, view spectacular at night

SandBar
- this is privately owned but on the property (on the beach)
- trendy & Spanish/tapas/latin foods
- small portions but very good food
- prices: ok
- ate lunch & dinner here once

HavanaBlue
- privately owned but on property, on beach
- very nice restaurant, little dressier ie women wore dresses/skirts
- very good food, trendy restaurant, Latin flare
- we ate cheaper here than at the Coco Joe's buffet (because we ate what we wanted not buffet...choose carefully based on price. Seabass was amazing
- small portions but good & beautiful presentation

Shops on property for food
- there are a few shops that offer food items that are more economical. Everyday there were people lined up for their morning coffee, pastries, pre-made sandwiches, pre-made salads etc. We bought sandwiches & salads for our day at Coral World. worked out great. Also can buy bottled drinks instead of always ordering drinks at the bar & tipping.

BEACH
- long, nice sand, safe swimming for kids, some little waves but good for my 8 yr old

ROOM
The hotel has 2 parts:
1) Cliffside traditional hotel "Frenchman's Reef Hotel"
2) Beachfront cottage/rooms "Morningstar Beach Club"

We stayed in the Morningstar Beach club - it was amazing! There were about 8 buildings, I think each with 8 rooms (4 upstairs, 4 downstairs). They looked like Cape Cod cottages - all with balconies & private entrance. We had 2 rooms & each room had 2 adjoining doors to the next-door room.

NO ORGANIZED ACTIVITIES - My biggest complaint
I am used to all inclusives ie @ Riu Resorts where they have FT staff dedicated to running activities for kids & adults. This resort didn't have this. They advertised a Kids Klub, beach volleyball, ping pong, kids movie night...none of these ever happened (they don't even have a ping pong table any more). They did have sea kayaks, 1 12ft hobiecat, snorkeling gear, buggie boards etc (seldom were these used by anyone) but my 16 yr old son was bored because he wanted beach vollyeball & ping pong. My 8 yr had a great time: beach, pool, boogie board etc My 2 teens were bored stiff and we needed to go off property to find fun ($40 per person one way) They have 2 tennis courts: you need to rent the tennis rackets each time & buy the tennis balls (about $17 total for 2 players for 1 hour)

There were not a lot of kids at this resort (more kids staying at Morningstar Beach Club) but mostly 5-8 yrs. I wouldn't consider this a family resort - more of a couples resort

TAXIS
The governement imposes a "flat rate" fee for taxis...depending on zone/distance ($6-$10/person). Before leaving the hotel, ask the staff/bell hops how much it costs to a certain location. I overpaid a couple of times.

Room Tip: Oceanfront Morningstar Beach Club rooms were amazing - more money but definitely worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your outlining the experiences you had at our resort. We are happy to hear your family enjoyed our restaurants, amenities and Morning Star Beach. I was disheartened to read your teens didn’t feel there were enough activities. Although the summer months are more popular for families with school age kids, we do offer year round organized activities.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had the best weekend Vacation ever at frenchman Reef. I Loved their Spa the massage, pedi & , facials are just what you need after a long flight. The Room Service was great I even made changes to their normal menu and the chef was amazing. The staff was very helpful & friendly I will definitely be staying there on my next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a king water view room. The views were lovely, overlooking the ocean and cruise ships coming and going. The beach is very nice and we didn't have trouble getting chairs. Staff friendliness was quite variable. Some were very courteous and helpful while others seemed annoyed. The negatives:
1. My biggest disappointment was the pool temperature. There is a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the ocean and one at Morningstar and neither is heated! And they were cold. There were people taking up all of the chairs around the infinity pool but only a handful were actually swimming in it because it was so darn cold. This is an expensive hotel and I would expect to be able to use the pools during my stay!
2. Price gouging is at every turn. Six bucks for a small bag of chips, $10 for a ham sandwich, $18 for a burger.
3. Restaurants were hit or miss. We had a good lunch at Coco Joes and good dinner at Havana Blue. Breakfast at Aquaterra was good, but the service at dinner time at Aquaterra was terrible. We ate with our 4 yo old and ordered burgers and pizza. The meal took two hours and our waitress never checked on us. We had to call her over just to get a refill on water. When the guy came over to fill our empty water glasses, he only filled my husband's. We had dinner at
Sunset Grille and food was mediocre there.

So, expect to pay a lot of money for everything, don't expect a great meal at every restaurant, and enjoy the gorgeous views from the clean, spacious water view rooms. And unless you like a dip in a cold pool, don't expect to swim in them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Before your next visit, please be sure to contact our pre-arrival team to explore all your dining and food options. We can make suggestions for restaurants on and off property and shopping ideas. I am delighted you enjoyed your room and our views and look forward to your next stay!
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel is typical Marriott resort which is OK because you know what to expect. Loved the views of the harbor but did not like the access to beach (not convenient). Room was above average and again, typical Marriott. Amenities were excellent and choices of restaurants were very good. Staff (maid service, waitresses, coffee shop, etc) all very pleasant and always offered a happy hello. Did not use the spa but did enjoy the swimming pool. Overall a very good stay; however, you need to take a taxi everywhere unless eating onsite. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: "Suite Room" with bedroom upstairs is excellent choice and great views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your list of ‘pros’ with the TripAdvisor community! Excellent descriptions like these also really assist us in gauging the aspects of the stay that are important to our guests. We know that a great service team can really make a vacation and appreciate the mention. We look forward to providing another great visit for you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week. Never being to St Thomas we weren't sure about the location. It is perfect ! It is about 20 minutes to the airport and $20 per couple. We stayed at the Morning Star but were dropped off at the main building. Upon check in , as Elite members we asked for an upgrade and the lady said to what ? Well we are in a garden room so anything would be better. She said no! Thanks for taking the time to look into that. They have a shuttle that takes you from the main building, Frenchmans Reef to morning star. So we went to our room and loved it. 10 feet from our door was the beach. The rooms are like little bungalows on the beach. Large size rooms and bathrooms with a sitting area, refrigerator and coffee maker. For a Marriott , the rooms needed a lot of TLC. The bathrooms especially. But you can't beat the location. If you are a beach person verses a pool person then you must stay at the morning Star. You can walk up to the reef and the resort is beautiful and the pool views are amazing. The beach gets crowded very early and very quickly. So we would get up and get our towels, chairs and rafts first thing. When the ships come it can get very crowded. There is a ferry for $7/pp each way to down town. There is not much choice for food for lunch unless you don't mind spending $50+ for lunch for 2. We went to the market in the lobby an got sandwiches or salads every day. Havana Blue is amazing for dinner, Sunset grille , def a pass. It was horrible . Coco Joes buffet not bad. Make a trip to OldStone Farmhouse for dinner. It is worth the money. Internet is horrible unless you are in the lobby . Closest Verizon tower is Puerto Rico so good luck using your Verizon wireless phone. I will definitely go back and stay here. The location is amazing and it's a beautiful resort.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for the thoughtful review of Morning Star Resort and for your confidence in our hospitality! It sounds like the room and beach amenities were just right for you. We appreciate the suggestions for guests as well. I am sorry you experienced internet and cell problems and will explore your comments to our leadership team. Some parts of the property are more receptive than others, but with the improvements we have made in the last year, we have experienced far fewer issues. Before your next visit, don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of assistance. Thank you again for being our guest!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We liked our stay last year so much we decided to return for our wedding/honeymoon. Although we did not get married on the property, the staff was more than happy to help us with our wedding details. Once again Roberta , the ambassador , went above and beyond with assisting us in securing our dinner reservations at Havana Blue and she even helped us snap some of our favorite wedding pics. We chose to return to the Marriott because of Roberta, the amazing views, and location. There isn't a better beach or pool areas on the island. Even if you are on a tight budget this location is a must see for a cocktail at sunset or an appetizer and cocktail at Havana Blue . People like Roberta will be sure to greet you with a smile and take care of you like you've known them for years.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Congratulations from all of us! Thank you for sharing your wonderful St. Thomas experience. Your personal mention of Roberta as the main reason you decided to return to Frenchman’s Reef for your wedding and honeymoon, is greatly appreciated. I look forward to sharing this with her!

Been to Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort? Share your experiences!