“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort

You added Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort
Holiday Pure Magic Offer
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting St. Thomas for 3 nights and 4 days for a wedding and before we even stepped foot onto the grounds there were problems. We had paid for an ocean front room and so we were expecting an ocean front room. When our good friends arrived there an hour or so before us-they had confirmed that we had rooms near by to one another. Not only were our rooms not near each other-without our knowledge they completely moved our room-and not just to a room that wasn't ocean front-they moved us to the other building!!! Keep in mind this reservation was made back in July! My girlfriend got a hold of the manager to get this problem resolved which was not an easy task but was taken care of eventually. However there was no compensation offered for all the hassle that was experienced at the time.
All of the staff members in whom we came in comtact with (except for those at Havana Blue) were extremely rude! When we had called on our first evening there to inform someone that our shower wouldn't turn on and that we had no hot water we were told there was nothing that they could do! My husband had to fix the shower himself and we showered in luke warm water for 3 days. Not to mention all the bugs that came up the drain!! And the cockroach that was in our neighbors tub!
Overall we had a great time on the island and the food and service at Havana Blue was incredible. However if we make a return visit to St. Thomas chances are we will not be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2013
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apology for the service failures you and your girlfriend experienced during this recent visit. We take all these reviews seriously in our improvement commitment, so all comments are appreciated. We would like another opportunity to win your loyalty. Before your next visit to St. Thomas, feel free to contact me through the hotel so that our leadership team can manage your reservation in a more personalized way. Congrats to the wedding party!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
Glenview, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were virgins to the Virgin Islands. This was a short 5 day 4 night trip. The check in was chaotic because of a wedding and the hotel was over sold. The rooms were not ready and only clean not spotless. Everyone was very friendly. We stayed at Morning Star which is awesome because you walk right out to the beach. Upside: friendly, lots of beach toys available, chairs and umbrellas.

Downside: Bar hosted the wedding but is not part of the hotel so at 11:45 when the band was STILL rockin we just had to put up with it. 12:30 the band was gone but the screaming and partying was still going on. Marriott lists all the wonderful things that come with your room from bottled water to beach toys but then on check out there is a $140 resort fee so nothing is really included in your room. They hold you hostage with CRAZY high prices. Travel/hotel on our trip was $3,000 and food and drinks was $3,000. THAT IS CRAZY!!!!

We will go back and might stay at the Marriott again but we would check out after 2 days and then check back in so we get a clean room again.

Its a good place-you won't be dissappointed - now that I have clued you in on the little secrets.

Room Tip: Morning star for instant beach access, Frenchman Reef for the pools/restaurants (just a short walk t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments and feedback. I am delighted to hear that our team was welcoming and friendly in every way. That being said, it sounds like our housekeeping staff left something to be desired. Although you enjoyed Morning Star, I am sorry your room was not cleaned to your satisfaction. We are reviewing your comments with our staff to ensure corrective measures and that our high standards are upheld. We are also taking your comments regarding the special event into consideration. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Again, we appreciate this review and your recommendation of our resort to St. Thomas visitors.
Saylorsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I requested the same room on the ground floor with a clear view of the ocean from the outside patio for my mother and I that we had last year. I was assurred 2 months in advance that it was probable. When we got to a different room, we had a view mostly of the foot washing station for guest to rinse their feet. I called the desk and quoted and email from the manager. I was told due to high occupancy we couldnt be moved for 5 days. Why move then? The hotel compted us $100.00 that would be deducted from our overall bill. It was, but I thought more would have been appropriate. On a positive note, we did not spend alot of time in the room, but the bed was very comfortable! and very large. The room service is terribly expensive for the quality of food. There was large lizard feces outside our room door for two days. I suppose I could have called to have it removed, but it was difficult to miss! The food in the restaurants are very expensive but I was not surprised. There was a dinner buffet two nights. good selection, but there was no way we could have eaten over $100.00 worth of food. I would suggest a lighter or 1/2 buffet. We did have an absolutely fantastic dinner with terrific service at the Havana Blue. The food and beverage director was polite and customer friendly. The waitstaff were just as courteous. The chef Ceasar made a FANTASTIC meal and even came out if the kitchen to make sure we were satified. Unbelievable! :-) We saw a familiar face from our prior year. Margaret from the Sand Bar below the Havana Blue. Super friendly, fantastic server!!

We splurged on the spa again this year. Definately not dissapointed! Delightful message and the pool and jacuzzi were wonderful! A+++++
We both prefer a "non party" atmosphere and the Beach Resort is perfect for us. Overall a relaxing and enjoyable experience and are already looking forward to making arrangement for next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us high ratings in light of the setbacks you experienced. I am thankful to hear nothing dampened your visit. Also, we appreciate the positive grade for our Lazuli Spa! Please let me know if you need any assistance with your reservation for next year.
Chatham, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

As we are Marriott Reward Platinum members we always stay at Marriott properties when in need of a hotel. This property is well kept and the staff does try.

When you are just passing through you are never given a ocean view room, but as Platinum reward members we should always be upgraded (we weren't.) We were allowed an early check in and a late check out which was great. We usually also qualify for breakfast vouchers which we were denied. After reading "Heads in Beds" by Jacob Tomsky we tried to tip the front desk agent saying anything they could do with providing an ocean view or breakfast vouchers would be appreciated. The $20 tip got us nowhere.The rooms are large and have been redecorated to be pleasant. There is no in room safe. Bathroom was just okay with a shower in the bath tub.

The dinner in the main hotel restaraunt was just okay. We didn't have the $24 breakfast buffet and just opted for a snack in the gift shop cafe. We were preparing to board the Seadream and knew we wouldn't go hungry that day. The Marriott Timeshare staff was aggressive in the lobby. There was water offered in the lobby in small plastic cups, but if you tried to fill your water bottles you were yelled at. They wanted you to purchase all water in the gift shop.

Needless to say, as far a Carribean hotels go it is above average, but as far as maintaining an excellent Marriott status, it is lacking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and loyalty to Marriott; your opinion is valuable. I am sorry our occupancy did not allow us to give you an upgrade for this visit but am glad you received an early check-in and check-out. Before your next St. Thomas visit, be sure to contact me through the resort if there is anything I can assist you with. We are constantly making improvements in every aspect, from service to dining and check-in procedures. If another vacation brings you to St. Thomas, I would love to personally hear your observations.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at this resort on our way through St Thomas to the BVI. When we first arrived we thought that it was a beautiful resort - great views, nice staff, etc. We were upgraded to an ocean front room in the Frenchman's reef building overlooking the tennis courts. The view was great, and while the room and building were a bit outdated, we had a great night.

We paid in points, so it was perfectly fine for us, but we spent the greater part of our vacation on scrub island in the BVIs, and it was far superior to this resort. We also talked to someone else that mentioned this resort was @ $500 a night, so I can see why many people are disappointed in the reviews. For a bit more, you can stay at a resort that is far superior. Scrub Island is only a ferry ride away and definitely a better spend.

Also, we had the buffet breakfast, and at $25 a person it is definitely not worth it.

Also - the ferry ride down town was only $7 per person, cheaper than a taxi and worth it!!

Room Tip: morning star on the beach looks nice but we didnt stay there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear your first impression of Frenchman’s Reef was one of beauty, with a welcoming staff. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your satisfaction with the second leg of your Virgin Island vacation!
Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and son (20 months old) and I stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Beach Resort in mid-August. We had a great time at the hotel and the beach, and enjoyed the pool and the food. We stayed on the hotel grounds for all of our meals.

In late September, my wife was sick with fatigue, fever, dark urine and loss of appetite. After a couple of weeks, it was confirmed by her Doctor that she had contracted Hepatitis A. It took my wife 4 months to get better. Hopefully, now that she will remain so and there will be no long term ill effects from her sickness.

This website highlights that the symptoms usually take 2-6 weeks to show up. My wife’s symptoms started 5 weeks after the weekend we were in St. Thomas.
This is the Mayo Clinic website on the disease.

Thankfully, our young son has received the vaccine for Hepatitis A in June 2012, and is unlikely to contract the disease. From a recommendation by the local Health Department official, both our nanny and myself have received vaccinations. In the opinion of the local Health Department official, my wife’s case of Hepatitis A was most likely contracted in St. Thomas, as we have been in North Carolina during the month of August and September. There have been no reported outbreaks of Hepatitis A in all of North Carolina during the summer.

We reached out to the Marriott, and they admitted that this is a problem that occurs on the island. After a long investigation - they concluded that we did not contract this at the Marriott - even though we ate all of our meals there. I was not happy with the way they informed us of the investigation as they were unable to release any of their findings. Just denied that it was their problem - a big change from when we first reached out to them.

We have visited St. Thomas before and have visited St. John’s on multiple occasions, and never had any issues. In my opinion, my wife most likely contracted the disease through contact with food during one of our many meals at the Marriott.

Please note that St. Thomas is not as developed as it appears to many tourists. The murder rate is high, but for the most part, this does not involve any tourists.

I advise you to please stay at the Ritz if you are looking to go to St. Thomas. Also, would recommend getting Hepatitis A vaccination prior to visiting any island outside of the US.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I am happy to hear your wife is feeling better. The safety and security of our guests are top priority at Marriott. I apologize for your dissatisfaction with the way we communicated with you regarding the results of our investigation. If there is anything further I can assist you with, feel free to reach out to me personally at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com.
Kensington, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We love this HOTEL but hotel is the key word. Got stuck in the sea view wing, not well kept, room smelled musty, housekeeping was poor, the bed squeaked when you turned over at night, laundry room was across the hall. It was horrible! But the next morning the staff member was wonderful moved us to a beautiful room in the hotel with a sea view and credited our room for the night before. Props to Tiesha for taking good care of us. We loved the rest of our stay! The only thing is they have didn't have ANY kids activities when we were there! If you aren't going during high season, be sure to check first if you're hoping to have some quality time with your spouse at the pool or the beach! Overall, the hotel made right by us but it had the potential initially of being a train wreck! Ask for the main hotel, trust us!

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Hotel!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am relieved to hear Tiesha accommodated your room move request and the rest of your stay was great. Also, thank you for mentioning kids activities. We do offer activities all year round so be sure to call our pre-arrival team or concierge for current amenities and activities information. We hope you will join us again soon!

Been to Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort? Share your experiences!