“Average Stay with some High Points and Low Points” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort to your Saves list
Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5 Estate Bakkeroe, Charlotte Amalie 00801, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Average Stay with some High Points and Low Points”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Frenchman's Reef from 9/17/12-9/22/12. The resort was nice and the rooms were satisfactory. It wasn't the cleanest room I have ever seen, but it certainly wasn't the worst. The beach was beautiful with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The pools were never over-crowded either. We were disappointed with the food options. We did the all inclusive and found that the restaurants were extremely limited, especially with it being the off season. We could have the buffet breakfast at Aqua Terra. The lunch and dinner options were Coco Joe's and Sunset Grill. The food was good, but service was on island time, which we didn't mind too much, because so were we. The problem is that those were the only 2 places for lunch and dinner for 5 days so it got old. The staff recommended Aqua Terra for dinner, however it was closed for some reason. Even the signs in the hotel advertised that restaurant and when we asked the front desk about it, they said that we couldn't expect them to update their signs. At least their staff should know what restaurants are open and which aren't. During 2 of the 3 nights we had drinks at the bar across from the Sunset Grill, there were rats running along the exposed pipes above the bar. The manager bought us a round of drinks one night because of it, but it didn't matter since we were all inclusive anyway. It was a nice gesture though. We never saw any rats near the guest rooms. There were feral cats though that left feces in the hallways. Check out process took forever because there was only one person behind the front desk. I had received a bill for over $1700 under my door on our last day. We had prepaid and expected our bill to be zero. It took awhile for them to figure it out. If you do the all inclusive, make sure to understand what is included and what isn't. Definitely take the island tour of St. John. The snorkeling was amazing and St. John is absolutely beautiful. Clyde the Guide is awesome!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for the positive review and suggestions for improvement. We’re sorry that Aqua Terra was temporarily closed during your stay. Also, I appreciate you bringing the failure of communication from our staff regarding this to my attention. All our employees need to be updated and I am taking care of this! In addition, I am working with our maintenance and housekeeping teams regarding your other comments. We are also currently working with the local humane society to control the cat population. Beyond the few issues you mention, it sounds like you had a most enjoyable stay and I sincerely hope that we have earned another opportunity to delight you on your next trip to St. Thomas.

3,002 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

After reading reviews for this property, some good, too many negative, we booked the all-inclusive package the first time in September 2010 at the Morning Star Beach Resort. At that time the main hotel was just talking about a renovation. After that trip, we could understand some of the negative comments about the main hotel, but not for the Morning Star Resort. It was excellent. Now fast forward to 2012, we book the all-inclusive Beach front package again knowing that all we wanted to do was relax on the property with everything taken care of. The renovation is great, 3 new pools, a day Spa worth the visit and the same wonderful views. I can not say enough good things about the staff, courteous, friendly, and pleasant. Our package included everything except for Havana Blue restaurant and Sand Bar, but go ahead and have dinner one night the Havana, you won't be disappointed. One thing to remember is that you are on vacation and Island time. If your expecting fast food service, stay in the States. If you like breakfast on the patio with a beach view, wave jumping in the sea, lunch and dinner by the water and tropical drinks, then this is the place for you! By the way, get a massage at the Spa, my first one of many....

Room Tip: At the Morning Star Beach Resort, request a 2nd floor room in the 2 story units facing south( lookin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to win your loyalty and approval! We’re glad you enjoyed Morning Star and all the new renovations we made to Frenchman’s Reef! We look forward to ‘taking care of everything’ again for you!
Christiansted, St Croix USVI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I won a trip to St Thomas and stayed at the Marriot Frenchman's Reef Hotel. The hotel is beautiful, the staff very friendly a little slow at the deli but hey who is in a rush? The room was excellent. Even though it was a "free" room from a fundraiser on St. Croix they still gave me a room with a great view of the harbor. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone coming to St Thomas for business or vacation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your great rating and review. We appreciate you taking the time to post a recommendation for us!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in the Marriott because I was actually meeting a cruise ship I missed in Miami. The facilities were very nice- huge property, decent beach, multiple restaurants and bars. Overall it was very nice, but you do pay for it. In off season, my courtyard view room- meaning the parking lot- was just shy of $200 a night. The room was quite large. They will stick you with a $35 a day resort fee, but this does include usage of beach chairs, snorkel gear etc., internet and bottled water in the room.

The views from the backside of the hotel are beautiful and look out over the harbor. Beach access is a short walk down a boardwalk- look for the iguanas! If you are looking for the amazing beaches the Virgin Islands are known for, though, you must venture out. Taxis are always available from the hotel. My main recommendation for the resort is that everything is on property. It seems like many of the other hotels lack options, but the Marriott has everything. Not sure I would go back to St. Thomas, but if I did this is where I would stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your description and lovely photos! We hope your cruise was as wonderful as your stay with us!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at the Frenchman's Reef from 9/23-9/30. We stay at Marriott's because we are elite members and this one ranks up there. It was excellent.

It's about a 15 minute drive from the airport. We rented a car simply because we wanted to explore the island at our own pace and not be stuck with taxis. Parking is super convenient. Never had a problem either downstairs at the turnaround or in the garage (try to park on the second level so your car isn't exposed to the direct sunlight).

Check-in was a breeze. We used points for 5 of the 7 nights so we were upgraded with no problem because of our status. Try to get a higher floor. The lobby is on 4, so I'd say if you can get the 7th or 8th floor you're in the best shape. The lower level floors were close to the pools/etc and I'm just not a fan of that. The view from our room was spectacular. Overlooking the bay... got to see sunsets and a couple rainbows.

My gf told me to add the note that every day during check-in they provide a rum punch in the lobby that she loved. She made a habit of grabbing one every day. It was ok, too sweet for my pallet.

We didn't do all inclusive. We actually didn't eat at the hotel. The menu for sunset grill was unimpressive and typical resort prices. People shouldn't complain about $18 burgers. That's what you pay for at resorts. Don't go if you aren't willing to pay. We actually stocked up on groceries and had fruit/snacks/bar essentials in our room. Check out my review on Gourmet Gallery for more info on that.

We did check out Havana Blue one night, which is on the Morning Star Beach. You can take the shuttle up and down, it is very convenient... or you can just walk up and down the beach or path.

The pools were great. The chairs that sit 6 inches deep in the main pool were awesome. We tended to stay up at the more adultish infinity pool since the main one had kids. Infinity pool also has a conveniently placed swimming bar.

Plenty of iguanas on the terrace and pool deck. DO NOT FEED THEM. I tried telling my girlfriend that so many times... she finally realized it was a bad idea when one climbed on her pool chair and freaked her out.

Overall stay was excellent. No complaints. I would definitely stay there again!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent recommendations and loyalty to Marriott! It sounds like you had a very enjoyable and relaxing time using the resort’s amenities.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Pros:
Great view & beach, friendly staff.
Restaurant / bar at Morning Star were very good.
Adventure center attractions in lobby.

Cons:
Much too long a wait for check in & the rooms to be ready. I understand that “check in” is not until 4pm, but most East Cost flights land around noon or 1pm why can’t they have more housekeepers working to get the room ready sooner?

Resort fee includes snorkels, boogie boards & kayaks, but they are not readily available. I was told all the boogie boards were broken & they only have 4 pairs of snorkels for the hotel. Also no staff was at the kayak area for two different days. When I asked, they told me the person didn’t show up so you couldn’t get a kayak.

Very slow restaurant service

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I don't typically stay in Marriott's as they typically develop underwhelming resorts and the Marriott Frenchman's Reef really was the nail in the coffin. I could write a long, scathing review but it’s easier for me and everyone else if we just keep it to some highlights. Here we go...:

- It took almost 90 minutes for us to check-in due to the front desk being poorly staffed. This was the case throughout our 6 night stay. Whenever you call to speak with someone at the front desk, or the manager, the phone just rings out - every single time.
- After being put in 3 rooms, which I would rate anywhere from poor to absolutely awful, we settled on the 4th room. This process took 24 hours.
- The website is deceiving - what the photos show you of the rooms will not be what you get. So don't book your stay with high expectations. The hotel is made up of 3 main areas: Ocean Tower, The Main Building and Morningstar. Ocean Tower rooms are nice, modern and bright. The rooms in the other two wings are like something you would find in a run-down motel on the back roads of South Dakota.
- Whenever there was an issue, and there were many, the manager was conveniently never available. The bellman was also incredibly rude and should definitely not be in a customer facing position. There were some gems on staff but they were few and far between.

In summary, if you're looking for nice accommodations and a hassle-free stay - go somewhere else. Either spend a little more and go to The Ritz Carlton or find yourself a nice condo or villa rental.

PS: I'm still chasing them up for a copy of my bill. I called and left a voicemail 24 hours ago and still nothing. I'm not surprised.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. It sounds as if there were some frustrating moments during your visit and for those, we apologize. If there is anything further you would like to discuss directly, please send an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. We rarely hear guests being disappointed by the rooms as compared to the website, especially since our renovation. Here on Tripadvisor, there is also a large collection of guest photos showing many, if not all, aspects of Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Resort. If anyone planning travel has questions regarding room styles, feel free to contact our pre-arrival team. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and welcome the opportunity to investigate this directly.

Been to Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort? Share your experiences!