“Thanksgiving dinner in the islands” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Contemporary, Continental
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Thanksgiving dinner in the islands”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This place is absolutely gorgeous. We were happy to see that turkey was on the menu for the evening as well as prime rib, pork loin and a vegetarian option. They also offered a plate of "leftovers" for $10.00 with the purchase of an entree. I thought this was sweet as some of the best part of Thanksgiving are the leftovers. Now to the food, for appetizers, I thoroughly enjoyed my mushrooms in phyllo and heard that the oysters were great (not a fan so I didn't taste). Our table tried all the entrees listed above. The prime rib was wonderful. Flavorful, cooked to perfection. I heard the turkey was good but didn't taste it. The pork loin was too sweet for my taste but when we reheated the leftovers in bacon grease the next day, it improved drastically. When I asked what the stuffing was in the vegetarian option of stuffed butternut squash, I was told cheese, mushrooms and something else that our server couldn't remember. What she forgot was pesto. Don't get me wrong, I love pesto but it was a bit overpowering for the squash. Good experience. I would love to go back in the daytime to enjoy the view and the grounds. Cozy spot that made us feel like we were at home. Service was a bit lacking but I really believe our server was just worn out. Adequate but not spectacular. Prices were a pleasant surprise for such a nice place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

St. Thomas
“The hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When a new restaurant premiers its location on the islands will dictate its class and level. Ownership may bring in quick early crowds. What keep diners coming back is the food and service. The first two created the hype. Why i will return is the latter. Denise has got to be one of the best servers in the business. She's attentive but not intrusive.
I found the food overrated. I always want to believe "the hype" but my pallet is sensitive to food that does not wow me. If I feel like i could have made it at home my disappointment deepens and irritation soars. I started with the tuna tartar which came perfectly squared over a lettuce slaw. The slaw was a tad bitter but i still ate it all. I enjoyed the soy sauce but it wasn't enough.
Generally, when i go out, i order steak. My fave, the Ribeye! Against the norm, i order it well or med well. Of course my steak was tough, chewy. And all the fat was trimmed, just awful. The fat flavors and tenderizes, everyone knows that. After the steak settles a chef could trim some fat for presentation, but why. Steak eaters aren't generally aren't calorie counting. (I will say that when i order the same at other places, i don't usually have the same experience. There ARE places here with slamming meat!) The side dishes, the risotto and greens beans were delish, though.
When it comes to dessert, i am bias. Creme brulee for me every time, if they have it. With a cup of black coffee. They didn't skipped dessert.
The room's interesting feel was overpowered by green pleather chairs. Good things the views are priceless. The meal was average.
If it were not for Denise, i wouldn't return. With service like that, a restaurant earns a second chance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roswell, New Mexico
“Best restaurant ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I'm in the restaurant business and have dined at some of the finest around and Blue Orchid is now in my top 5 all time best! Our server Denise (and her coworker Tom) were both outstanding. The menu choices were innovative and interesting, not fussy and trendy. Jenee, the chef came out to visit with us and even gave me the recipe for one of her appetizers (thanks!) We had a great bottle of wine, absolutely delicious food and and all around good time. I wish I could have dined there every night to try each of the menu items!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Food at a must see location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming to St Thomas for many years and this is one of the best new restaurants on the island. The food was great and the views from the observation deck are awesome. We intend to return.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Wonderful new place up on the Northside of St. Thomas. Great Food, very reasonably priced and wonderful ambiance with spectacular views just right outside of the dining area. Highly recommend!

Visited October 2012