“Anything BUT Paradise Cove” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites

You added Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites to your Saves list
Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   2GA Ridge Road | Estate Nazareth, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Ranked #10 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
“Anything BUT Paradise Cove”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to St. Thomas/St. John from August 17, 2012 to August 26, 2012. We are school teachers so we do most of our traveling during our time off in the summer. We were on St. John for the first 5 days of our trip and took the ferry back to St. Thomas for the last portion of our vacation. One of the risks we take when traveling the Caribbean during the summer is encountering a tropical storm or hurricane. Our time on St. John was beautiful and uneventful, however, we left on one of the last ferries before tropical storm Isaac traveled south of the islands.
After we took a taxi to get our rental car (a must-have on St. Thomas) and then drove to Paradise Cove, we had to search the grounds for the caretaker, Danielle. We had to call her cell phone for her to come out and “welcome” us. This was an additional nuisance because every time my boyfriend or I used our cell phones we accrued roaming charges by our cell phone providers. There was no formal check in process or check out process, anyone could have shown up and been checked into a/our room!
Danielle frantically showed us around the grounds and was very panicked about the storm. She was also very condescending to my boyfriend and I and asked us if we even knew a storm was coming. We had been watching the news and weather carefully and knew that while Isaac was classified as a tropical storm, it was a weak one. Being from New England of the United States, we’ve had our fair share of storms and know how to prepare for them. We were told that for our safety instead of staying in the Serenity Cottage (where we originally made reservations to stay) we would be placed in one of their apartments. The “apartments” were nothing more than studio-style rooms in a motel style building. We were understanding of this decision, and were told it would be only for one night. We went out to get storm supplies and spent some more time roaming the grounds. The pool area was not maintained and all the pool furniture had already been submerged in the pool in preparation for the minor storm. There were MAJOR ant/bug issues in the rooms. We travel frequently to tropical areas and realize that bugs are a fact of life in these areas, BUT the accommodations at Paradise Cove had more bugs than I have ever seen. There was no land-line phone and cell phone service was spotty in the studio- this was very concerning should there actually have been an emergency. I was told there was Wi-Fi in the room and what the password was, but it would not work. I sought out Danielle for help and she was of no help in the matter. In addition the key codes for all the doors in the motel building are very predictable and in my opinion not good security.
As predicted, the storm passed to our south and was not severe, we did not even lose power. We were informed by Danielle that we would not be moved to the Serenity Cottage as we originally agreed to. Unfortunately we had to threaten that we would leave and book a room at the Marriott before we were moved. So we repacked and moved to the Serenity Cottage. The entire time we moved Danielle just watched us and was extremely rude and snotty. She even told us “Jesus Christ, the whole island could be blown off the map” (because of the storm that had passed I assume)? Five minutes after we moved into Serenity Cottage, Danielle called my cell phone and asked “Are you finally happy?” To which I replied that yes, we were happy to be in the cottage we paid for and originally made the arrangements for. The way we were treated was unacceptable. With the current economy as it is (and the fact that the establishment wasn’t exactly bustling with patrons) I would definitely think they would treat their guests more respectfully.
Our time in Serenity Cottage wasn’t all we thought it would be. I’ve attached some disturbing photos from our limited stay there. Again, there was no land-line for phone. The shower handles are backwards (HOT should be COLD and vice versa). The bugs were an issue here as well. The windows do not lock in the Serenity Cottage!!! They do have a locking mechanism but the windows still opened when “locked”. This was especially troubling since anyone could get onto the deck of the cottage and enter in through the windows. There was no safe, holes in the walls, ripped and stained (gag!) sheets, dirty dishes in the cabinets, strange pink stains bleeding through the painted walls, a sewage smell by the front door, and dusty artificial plants- can you believe it? Artificial plants in the tropics?!?! The air conditioning had little to no affect because the windows are so poorly sealed. For the two days we were at the Serenity Cottage we endured continuous power surges and “brown-outs”. This became very problematic especially since water was pumped into the cottage using electricity. At one point I stood in the shower for 10 minutes all soaped up waiting for the power to come back again so I could rinse.
Since the utility company doesn’t work on the weekend in St. Thomas, we were again moved back to the motel style rooms. Danielle asked us what room we stayed in the first time (being the property manager, this was something we thought she should have known) because it still hadn’t been cleaned and they were going to put us into a different room. So, needless to say, there is no daily maid service or housekeeping.
Shortly after the storm had passed to the south of us Danielle placed caution tape on the trials leading closer to the water due to a shipwrecked sailboat, yet she herself went down several times and even guided guests down there. My boyfriend and I were specifically warned to not go down there since looters had already begun working on the sailboat.
There were no attempts by anyone to clean up the grounds or remove the pool furniture from the pool after the storm. The grounds were a mess and the furniture submerged the entire time we were there.
We were so displeased with the accommodations (and the entire island of St. Thomas for that matter) that as soon as the ferry was running again we went back to St. John for our last full day.
The one good thing my boyfriend and I have to say about the property is that the southern view from any of the rooms/cottages was gorgeous. On one particularly clear afternoon we could see all the way to St. Croix. However, there was no safe way to get down to the gorgeous water, sadly.
When it was time to leave Paradise Cove we could not find Danielle (and she was not answering her cell phone). We searched the grounds and finally found someone who looked like they worked there. She just told us that we were “all set”, again, no formal check out process. Once we returned home, we e-mailed Danielle requesting reimbursement of some type since my boyfriend and I felt that the studio rooms we were put in were in no way equivalent to an entire cottage. My boyfriend and I were offered 2 free nights at Serenity Cottage for 2 people- needless to say we will never be back there, not even if it were free!

Room Tip: Best tip would be to book at room at the Marriott and NOT Paradise Cove.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Somonauk, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here two days before and two days after sailing. There were three women sharing the Serenity Cottage and an Escape Condo.

We loved each unit for different reasons. The Serenity Cottage is larger and has a huge balcony looking out over the water. The overall aesthetics of the unit is good, except the bathroom needs to be renovated. We also stayed in an Escape Condo, the middle, lower unit. The condo is a nice size, even for three of us. The balcony has a nice view and the bathroom is MUCH nicer...updated and a walk in shower. However, the pull-out couch was not as comfortable as the Serenity Cottage's pull-out. Everyone we encountered were very helpful and friendly and Danielle was awesome from our initial contact until we left!

Would we stay here again? You bet!! Looking forward to returning with my husband at some point!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Westminster, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Man, we sure had a worse experience than all the other reviewers. We booked online based on other people's opinions and the photos they showed. We arrived around 11 p.m. on the late flight from Miami and were give a room at the back of the pool house. It was advertised as a cabana. Really? A room at the back of the poolhouse, and they called a cabana. I don't think so. It was crappy and I can't believe they charged us $176 for it. We were only there one night, so we just endured, but our room had a tiny bathroom with mold growing in the broken tile shower, and not a single light aside from a small light in the kitchen. The bed linens were so bad maybe it was a blessing not having better lighting. I don't think I have ever stayed somewhere that showed more misleading photos. We'd never stay there again.

Room Tip: Under no circumstances should you allow them to place you in the room behind the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I just got back two days ago from our week-long stay at Paradise Cove. We got married in the gazebo there (just the two of us) and walked down the road to Secret Harbour for some wedding photos. Paradise Cove is lovely and has spectacular views of the Caribbean, plus of the foliage and the beach at Secret Harbour. It's very quiet at Paradise Cove--so peaceful and we barely saw any other guests while we were there. We truly enjoyed our stay! Danielle was kind to us and gave us a ride into Red Hook one day when we couldn't find any cabs, and she and the owner's son gave us two bottles of champagne the day of our wedding. Everything you need is right there--Secret Harbour has a beautiful, uncrowded beach, friendly staff, and is a short walk right down the hill--and we ate there almost every day. You're also right next to Red Hook and we went there several times for groceries, errands, restaurants and took the ferry to St. John twice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sand to the left, Hills to the right, Sun up above, and Stingrays below! Why leave the patio at all? OK, maybe just once, you scramble down the flagstone path to get a closer look at the turquoise-ocean and watch the waves wash the wild volcanic shoreline. Or maybe, you grab your snorkeling gear, and stroll down the paved road to that beach over there. In ten minutes, you'll be standing on white sand, laying under palm trees, or sitting on a bar-stool at the open-air grille. Eventually, you'll get wet and enjoy the fish under the clear blue sea. Best therapy we've had in thirty years; still grinning as we look back at the photos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Galveston Island, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Recently, my wife and I were back in St. Thomas for a few days before heading over to Tortola for a bareboat charter.

When we lived in St. Thomas, we lived in the Serenity Cottage that over looks the Secret Harbor Resort & bay. The water is clear and you often see turtles and fish and sometimes deer will run along the edge of the property. Further on the horizon, you'll see St. Croix. At night, you have the beautiful glow of cruise ships as they leave Charlotte Amalie for Caribbean destinations. To the right you could see Veiquez, Puerto Rico's famed island and other islands. Overall a lovely place to call home with awesome views.

Now, with it's recent renovation, the entire Paradise Cove is a paradise for travelers that want to find a budget conscious, out of the way place to stay. Everything is wonderfully clean and new. We were given a tour of the efficiency apartments by Danielle, the upbeat friendly manager. After seeing the changes they made, these are truly the best kept secret and value in lodging in St. Thomas. They are large with magnificent views and very comfy... everything new.

We highly recommend Danielle and the entire Paradise Cove complex. Now that they've opened the internet cafe, I really don't think you can find a better place to stay. This mini-resort has it all and, at the right price.

Terry and Jeanne Hudson

Room Tip: Honestly, there are no bad views from any room. The pool area is perfect for hanging out and the WiF...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I were on St Thomas island for two weeks and loved every minute. We stayed at two different hotels and must say we liked the less expensive one far better. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton first and it was an OK experience only. We feel we overpaid for what we got there. Then we were blessed enough to find the little jewel Paradise Cove. WOW, what a place. First: the views – second to none. The bay it overlooks (don’t recall the name) is so blue and clear it took my breath away every time we walked onto our balcony. And the great wind every night was a special bonus. The staff (especially dear, sweet Laura) was superior and went far out of their way for us regardless of what we needed at any time. The room was spacious, clean, very comfortable and a tremendous value. As I said, this one is a jewel and we will be back. I think we have found a home away from home and can’t wait to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites? Share your experiences!