“Ruined our night” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #115 of 180 restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Buddha Sushi is located on the East End of St. Thomas and features the best sushi on the island. The ladies here at the laboratory are very fond of it and we've been there for take-out or parties. It features a very unique and creative sushi menu. The happy hour is the best time to go, from 5 - 7 pm.
St. Thomas
“Ruined our night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went to sushi spur of the moment last night, it was my request, as I did not want to cook dinner and we had dined here on one of our first dates. we were not greeted at the door so we wondered to the sushi bar- the barstool was torn and Looked like it came out of a dumpster. We decided to overlook this and a few other cosmetic items- we were finally approached by a server who asked if we wanted water and menus.
A second server came and took our beverage order- she stated they were out of all Japanese beer- or maybe had one left- after a longer than normal wait- she came back only to say they were out of the beer we ordered- we ordered a different beer- and the special of the night appetizer the waitress suggested- the drinks took awhile to come and the server did not come back for over 30 minutes- needless to say- tha appetizer did not show up at all nor did she even attempt to apologize - The sushi chef tried to make up for it with a oyster special- and another on the house roll. Wefinally received our order without ginger or wasabi as they were out of both.
The food was good- not great- service terrible- and the overall cleanliness of the bar is questionable- the sushi chef did not wear gloves and he had cut himself he covered it with apaper towel- and we did not see much cleaning going on until the end night when he sprayed the area down with Lysol- which tainted our last bites.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
“Service was non existent!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I am not a fan of sushi myself so I ordered the chicken teriyaki which I must say left a lot to be desired. But the worst was the young black man who was our server. I would tell you his name but it was never given. Took ten minutes to get drink orders, then they were out of edamame and he never told us till after the hostess did. Then 20+ min to get our check. He did not check on our table but one time to get the food order! Good thing for him that they add 15% to all tabs!! I am a good tipper and he really only cheated himself! I usually leave 20% minimum!! So do yourself a favor and work while your at WORK!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Old Road Town, Saint Thomas Middle Island, Saint Kitts and Nevis
“Oasis on St. Thomas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Taj, Johan & Carol graced us with a blend of professional service & relaxed friendliness you always hope for but rarely find while eating out. The Sushi was fabulous. If you're worried about price, don't eat sushi, but for those seeking an informative review, it's par for the course, no more or less than it should be; & pricing & portions range from $10-50 so there's plenty of options. Moreover my GF & I were offered complimentary tastings on anything we inquired about & even items we hadn't yet learned existed but rather effervesced through casual conversations with the staff. In-house sauces & sorbets created from indigenous flora are exquisite! Dedicating my patronage to only guarantees, if you come its likely I will see you there!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado
“Best Sushi on the island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The service was a little slow, and they were out of all of their cold sake which was a little disappointing (I've had their coconut lemongrass one before and really enjoyed it), but all of the sushi is always amazing! Definitely recommend the taj mahal roll.

Visited January 2013
San Diego, California
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went for happy hour (M-F 5-7pm). We were a little scared by some of the reviews but really wanted to try Buddha Sushi. We met the chef, who was very friendly. The happy hour menu had a good amount items on it and didn't seem too pricey (compared to California prices). The seafood was fresh and the rolls were yummy. They were small, but I think that is the way sushi should be, bite size. We ordered the tempura apple dessert, which was so delicious! We ordered 2 miso soups, 3 rolls, 1 dessert and paid about $50 after tip. The service is very slow, we were there for over 2 hours because of it. However, that is the way they want to do it at Buddha Sushi. It is about the experience, sit there and enjoy your time. Don't rush it :) It definitely is island time in there! I would definitely go back!

• Visited January 2013