“Jewels Forever, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, ISVI” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Other
Attraction Details
Ludlow, Ma
10 attraction reviews
“Jewels Forever, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, ISVI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We discovered the family owned "Jewels Forever" on our first-ever visit to St. Thomas in 2004. Ever since then, we have been purchasing the majority of our jewelry from St. Thomas because of the great prices (and no taxes/duty), and specifically from them.
We have always been very happy with this retailer's treatment of us and that of what we've seen of other customers. Their prices can be good, or they can be excellent (read on to see what I mean). As with any retailer in a hot vacation spot, you really have to know how to bargain to get the best price. Whether you're jewelry shopping on vacation, or back home, NEVER, EVER pay the asking or tag price!! Because this is a big cruise ship industry destination, every store seems to always have a "special sale--just for today" for cruise ship passengers. However, don't be fooled by these common gimmicks. Everything's always FOR sale, not necessarily ON sale.
When buying jewelry, follow these basic tips:
1] Know what you want before you hit the stores. Check prices for similar items at home before leaving.
2] Visit several stores in the area. Many will have the same or similar items at prices that can vary tremendously.
3] Check the quality of stones (or the quality and carat weight of the metal used--i.e.: gold, silver, etc.) by asking the jeweler for a "loop" (a jewelers magnifying glass) to more closely examine the stone for flaws, or imperfections (known as "inclusions"), and asking many questions. Check the "Four 'C's": Cut, Clarity, Color, Carat weight by researching these things online at jewelry websites. The Gemological Institute of America's site at: www.gia.edu is a great place to start. While trying the jewelry piece on, don't be afraid to take a couple photos of it being worn, and up close with your camera or cell-phone camera (more on this later).
4] If you like what you see, ask the jeweler for the price and then make a GOOD counter-offer (I usually like to start at 50% of the asking or tagged price...sometimes less if I know it's greatly over-inflated). The worst thing that can happen is they will say "no", or counter your counter-offer. This can go back and forth several times. If you don't feel their offer is of your liking, politely thank them for their time...and start leaving the store. If they suddenly have a "change of heart", and they really want to sell that item that you showed a liking to, they typically WILL try and stop you to continue the bargaining. If not, so be it. Maybe you were unrealistic with your offer, maybe they just don't care. But, you'll never know unless you try.
5] When you've agreed on the price, ask the jeweler to include a detailed appraisal of the item(s) for insurance purposes, AND ALWAYS USE A CREDIT CARD!! The credit card will always give you protections that you will not receive with cash, checks, travelers checks or most debit cards. You will generally get the best rates on currency transactions by doing this as well.
I've seen a scattering of "bad reviews" and "horror stories" of folks who feel they were taken advantage of or cheated. This can happen ANYWHERE! Remember, it's always "Buyer Beware". Remember what I mentioned about taking some photos of the item you wanted to purchase? Here's the reason: You're helping to protect yourself against a possible "switch" by an unscrupulous seller. There's nothing worse than having them package up your purchase for your return trip to the cruise ship, only to discover after you've pulled out of port, that you have an empty package or a completely different piece of jewelry in your possession. This way you are not second-guessing yourself. Then, by using your credit card to make the purchase as I always recommend, you can file a claim with your credit card company and not have to worry about getting something you did not expect. Further, if you have a loss of the item somewhere between the shop and your return home, you have some proof for your credit card company which may provide you no-charge insurance through a third party (check with your credit card company such as VISA, MaterCard, Amex, etc. about this by calling the toll free number on the back of the card), or for your homeowners insurance carrier.
Happy Shopping!

Visited November 2011

“If you need to trust a Jeweler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I first met the folks at Jewels Forever about 9 years ago. From the very start the value of the jewelry we bought there has been of outstanding quality and value once I had them appraised back home. I should note that I am an educated buyer and my wife and I buy a lot of jewelery. I have set over 10 other friends there and they all are very happy with the shopping experience. We have gone back every year since the very first year. One of my friends had a slight problem and the owners took care of it right away. That same person has been back to shop already. If you need or want great quality and value go to Jewels Forever!!

Visited May 2012
New Jersey
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were shopping for a new setting for my engagement ring for my 20th wedding anniversary. We were on our way towards Ballerina Jewelers when we were led to a different store by someone standing on the street. After looking at their settings for like a half hour I just wasn't 100% in love with any of them. They then sent me over to Jewels Forever which was owned by the same family. Once I got there I dealt with Don who I found very nice and knowledgeable. I ended up picking out a new setting and also buying an eternity wedding band to match. The price seemed reasonable (although I really didn't compare prices with other stores). I left my engagement ring with them and went to lunch and when I came back my diamond was set beautifully in the new setting. The wedding band was slightly big so they added two small balls on the inside of it to make it fit better. I went back a couple of days later to buy a pair of earrings for my mother as well. My only complaint is that the mother is very pushy and she tries to get you to buy things you don't want. It got pretty annoying so I had to finally put her in her place and she seemed shocked that I wasn't actually going to buy this necklace that she decided I should have! I would recommend if you go there, just deal with Don. It's only been about three weeks since I got the ring so hopefully I don't have any of the same problems other people have had...I really don't anticipate that happening though. The rings are really gorgeous....

Visited April 2012
Sykesville, Maryland
“Beautiful Tanzanite and Very Helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We shop at Jewels Forever every trip to St. Thomas. We were looking for a larger size Tanzanite and we looked at several loose stones and could not decide. Then Don brought out several rings set in Rose Gold and we made our choice. They were very helpful and so nice and a pleasure to do business with. My ring is stunning and I have Jewels Forever to thank. We looked at so many rings and stones in other stores but I am so glad we bought our ring here. Thank you again for my beautiful memory of St. Thomas and your wonderful family. Kathy and Dennis McCrabe Sykesville, MD

Visited March 2012
Kitchener, Canada
“Amazing Gems, value and family business!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have visited Raj and his wife and son, Don at Jewels Forever on several occasions over the past 7 years. We were always warmly welcomed into their store and have purchased several earring sets, necklaces and upgraded diamond rings. Our daughters have also purchased rings and last year our eldest daughter and son-in-law bought their wedding bands at this store. We were very pleasantly surprised when we returned to Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and had our jewelry appraised. Great value and beautiful stones etc. We trust this family completely and will return again shortly. We cannot imagine being in St. Thomas and not stopping by to visit with this family They're truly wonderful. Looking forward to our next visit to Jewels Forever.......

Visited March 2011