“AVOID.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
new york city
“AVOID.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

After being lured in by the price and location I made the terrible mistake of staying here.

The Pros:
GREAT location, beautiful beach and pool area, wonderful deck, close to ferry, grounds are secure.

The Cons (and boy, I mean CONS):
You better pray to god that nothing is broken in your room. It will NOT get fixed, period. There was a leak coming from the upstairs bathroom directly above our toilet, was great to get a second shower of mystery liquid when using the bathroom. No one ever came to fix.
The smoke alarm battery was dying and beeping constantly, no one one could be bothered enough to come and simply change the battery. We ended up just taking the alarm out so that we could sleep. Safety first!
It is impossible to dial the front desk from your room, nice.
Our room was dated, not a big deal, and apparently they are remodeling.... by apparently i mean that it is LOUD as hell in the am when you are trying to sleep and relax. Why would anyone want to sleep in a construction zone?
The maid only came on the first and last day that we stayed there. They apparently come every other day, but she didnt show up on her scheduled days. Fun times.
The A rooms have a great ocean view, but are just plain gross and in disrepair.
While the office staff is nice, NOTHING gets done. Period.
I was absolutely eaten alive by some sort of bug (bugs) at night. Im not talking about a few mosquitos, I'm talking about over 30 small bites on my arms and legs. Staff didn't offer to change my room or seem to care.
Management here is a huge issue, completely useless. Staff completely out to lunch.
The customer is the real victim here. Absolutely ZERO value for my money.
Seriously avoid, dont be lured in by the price. You'll get what you paid for... trust me!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel has seen better days. We arrived at dusk and located the office, which was in another room. The staff was slow and easily distracted. It took us 30 minutes to get checked in. We went to the room, actually the hotel is individual condos, it was dated. Room service was offered on certaiin days only, and our room was not cleaned the 5 days. There are no restaruants, just a snack cart down by the beach. Red Hook is the closest town with food and groceries. By car about 5 miles. The beach was excellent. Fantastic water, snorkeling, and diving. After all you're only going to be in the room to sleep.
The price of food is very expensive. When I go to the Virgin Islands again I will have a suitcase filled with food from home and my carry on with clothing.

Room Tip: Bring your own food it is very expensive. Lots of sunblock.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New Hyde Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let me start off my saying this.. this hotel was amazing! I asked if it was still under Antilles, and the hotel informed me they are currently under new management.

Upon arrival, my friends and I were excited so we asked alot of questions about the area, we ended up with a villa right on the beach. We stayed in B209. Most of the hotel is timeshares, they are beautiful! The view is breathtaking.

Snorkeling right on the beach, people come from other hotels just to stay on the beach at this resort. Sapphire Beach has coral and snorkeling equipement for $7 per day. You can also rent a beach chair ($7 per day) or just sit on the beach with a towel.

The restaurant has bar, so you can order a number of things and it will run about $10-$15 depending on alcohol etc.

There is a strip with excellent restaurants and party scene called Red Hook it is a 5 min ($4 Taxi fare per person) away from the hotel. St. Thomas is a not big place the whole island is about 13 miles. So you can go any where on the island for about $10 per person.

St. Johns is a ferry ride away from Sapphire Beach it is ($6 per person round trip) St. Johns is a little more pricer then St. Thomas and it is like the high-end side of Virgin Islands. But the beaches on St. John are amazing, and there is excellent shopping there if you desire.

The hotel had maid service, but we opted to take care of our place on our own. We stayed at the Villa on the beachfront for $250 per night during spring break which I thought was an excellent deal. The condos are cheaper and they are not on the beach but you can get a ride to the beach from the hotel staff. Everyone was really friendly and the price was right for this place for me. I really recommend this hotel, I dont know what that Frankenstein hotel review was about, it worried me but I ended up with the best experience. Hope this review helps!

Room Tip: Be friendly and you might get upgraded during checkin!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in mid September and had a great trip. We stayed in D101 and you can find out about this on the homeaway site. Darrell and Roseanne were amazing and really thought of everything needed to make this feel like home. The snorkeling right by is great and we would highly recommend taking a trip on the Breakaway. Choose this condo and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

When we arrived, we were directed by the "Transport" company, "Tropical Tours" to a hotel room that was substituting for the "Lobby" of the hotel. We had to stand in the bathroom while the "receptionist" dealt with a resident who was drunk and smelled horrible, an apparent permanent resident in this "shelter". After taking an imprint of my credit card, I was told where my room was located. In traveling to find the room, (no assistance with luggage), I passed through what appeared to be the prior "Lobby" that had several missing ceiling tiles, light fixtures torn out of the walls and lots of trash on the floor. "Under Construction" read a handwritten sign on the wall. Once I entered the room, there was an unpleasant stale odor. Upon turning on the lights, I noticed pubic hair on the desk. I went to the patio and attempted to turn on the light that didn't work. .... Then finally, something good, I opened the door to the patio to a spectacular view of the Bay. The sand just 10 feet from my door and the water just another 50 feet away. My fiancee and I smiled at eachother at that point because that was what we were really looking for in this Island Of Paradise, was to just get away for a while from the stresses of work and the cold weather in Boston. I attempted to call the "receptionist" but, not surprisingly, the phone did not work. I walked back to the reception "bathroom" and advised them that the phone did not work and that I needed some cleaning supplies to clean up all of the pubic hair in the room. I was told that someone would come to the room shortly, Some 45 minutes later, a man came to the door wearing a gold chain that hung down to his belly button, looking like a younger "Mr.T" wannabe and said he was there to look at the phone. He walked in, picked up the phone, didn't get a dial tone and said, "yah, it's broken and I don't know when they are going to fix it, but you can use the phone in the office upstairs if you need to make a call." He also had no cleaning supplies on him and I didn't expect that he was there to clean anyway, so I didn't even bother to ask. ..... The next morning, we ventured out to the beach. THAT'S ALL THAT THERE IS THERE!! Located on the property on the beach is a Night Club, Restaurant, and a Bar....ALL OF WHICH are boarded up and closed, not due to the "off season" but, as I came to find out from some of the residents there, these places have been boarded up for about 4 years due to an ongoing legal battle between the condo association and the hotel over a dispute due to the noise that comes from them. One resident who owned the condo next to me stated, "Yah, you wouldn't believe how many people come to me and complain that this is a run down ghost town of a hotel, and that it certainly isn't like the brochures purport it to be. I've complained to the management that they shouldn't be misrepresenting this place like that because it causes bad feelings from all of the guests towards the residents." ....... I called my travel agency, but the hassle and costs that would have resulted from moving to another hotel would have made the whole situation just that much worse. ....... The ONLY REDEMPTION that the Antilles At Sapphire Beach has is that the beach itself is beautiful and just outside of your patio door, other than that, I was robbed of $2000. for 5 nights at Frankenstein's House.

Room Tip: dont take any room at this place, or if you dare to, then bring your own sanitizing supplies
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed here in late May 2011 for a wedding. Our accommodations were a recently remodeled efficiency unit with a king size bed, dining area, modern kitchen with granite countertops and full appliances (no dishwasher), living room, large deck and large bathroom with a double vanity. Also plenty of closet space. We looked out our deck right onto the beach and cove area. The weather was perfect - an occasional storm passing by but not lasting long and the sun was out shortly after. Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking all are offered here. We took a side trip kayaking and snorkeling but were just as happy doing the same at our beautiful beach. You can order sandwiches and drinks while basking in the sun on the beach and the pool area is gorgeous. The only drawback is there is no restaurant or convenience store. You have to travel a mile into Red Hook but there are plenty of very nice eating establishments and a supermarket there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Sapphire Beach was exactly the island vacation I had pictured in my mind. The beach and the water were indescribably beautiful! We rented through VRBO and I believe we stayed in 304 (Villa Bonne Vie), the same condo mentioned in one of the other reviews. Very nice owner, and Sam, the property manager was extremely helpful. However, I did hear bad things about Antilles. Our owner was not a member of the hotel group. Our condo was clean, but we had been promised a cleaning mid-week which did not happen. That's the only reason I gave it a 4 for cleanliness. The condos are older, but that didn't bother me. Ours had had the bathrooms newly renovated and I understand she has done the kitchen this year. The kitchen is very small, but we didn't do any real cooking so it was not a problem. There were appliances--microwave, toaster oven and blender. Groceries are very expensive there. We ate 2 meals a day in the condo and one meal out each day. The bedroom upstairs had a new king-sized mattress which I assume was very good. There was a fold out couch in that room. My daughter and her family slept in that room and I had the fold out couch in the living room. I'm a grandma and wasn't sure how comfortable that might be, but it was fine. The pool was magnificent! Extremely clean and beautiful. Another review from 2009 complained about the pool being cracked and rusty-looking, but they must have redone it because when we were there in 2010 I was very impressed with the pool. The pool bar is still closed, but that was not a problem for us. We had food and drinks from the little beach take-out place and it was very good. Both the hamburgers and mixed drinks were excellent. We enjoyed eating at the East End Cafe and Big Bambooz in Red Hook. We rented a car. Budget had lost our reservation, so Sam arranged a rental car for us, very reasonable, and it was a big Jeep--perfect! I don't think Sam is associated with Antilles at all, but manages some of the individual units. We took the car ferry to St. John and spent a whole day there. The weather was great for us. A tropical storm had just passed through the previous week, but it cleared up just as we came in. I would have liked to stay another week--or month. I would definitely go back to Sapphire Beach and I would stay in the same condo as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Antilles At Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!