“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Orlando, Florida
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in mid September and had a great trip. We stayed in D101 and you can find out about this on the homeaway site. Darrell and Roseanne were amazing and really thought of everything needed to make this feel like home. The snorkeling right by is great and we would highly recommend taking a trip on the Breakaway. Choose this condo and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

When we arrived, we were directed by the "Transport" company, "Tropical Tours" to a hotel room that was substituting for the "Lobby" of the hotel. We had to stand in the bathroom while the "receptionist" dealt with a resident who was drunk and smelled horrible, an apparent permanent resident in this "shelter". After taking an imprint of my credit card, I was told where my room was located. In traveling to find the room, (no assistance with luggage), I passed through what appeared to be the prior "Lobby" that had several missing ceiling tiles, light fixtures torn out of the walls and lots of trash on the floor. "Under Construction" read a handwritten sign on the wall. Once I entered the room, there was an unpleasant stale odor. Upon turning on the lights, I noticed pubic hair on the desk. I went to the patio and attempted to turn on the light that didn't work. .... Then finally, something good, I opened the door to the patio to a spectacular view of the Bay. The sand just 10 feet from my door and the water just another 50 feet away. My fiancee and I smiled at eachother at that point because that was what we were really looking for in this Island Of Paradise, was to just get away for a while from the stresses of work and the cold weather in Boston. I attempted to call the "receptionist" but, not surprisingly, the phone did not work. I walked back to the reception "bathroom" and advised them that the phone did not work and that I needed some cleaning supplies to clean up all of the pubic hair in the room. I was told that someone would come to the room shortly, Some 45 minutes later, a man came to the door wearing a gold chain that hung down to his belly button, looking like a younger "Mr.T" wannabe and said he was there to look at the phone. He walked in, picked up the phone, didn't get a dial tone and said, "yah, it's broken and I don't know when they are going to fix it, but you can use the phone in the office upstairs if you need to make a call." He also had no cleaning supplies on him and I didn't expect that he was there to clean anyway, so I didn't even bother to ask. ..... The next morning, we ventured out to the beach. THAT'S ALL THAT THERE IS THERE!! Located on the property on the beach is a Night Club, Restaurant, and a Bar....ALL OF WHICH are boarded up and closed, not due to the "off season" but, as I came to find out from some of the residents there, these places have been boarded up for about 4 years due to an ongoing legal battle between the condo association and the hotel over a dispute due to the noise that comes from them. One resident who owned the condo next to me stated, "Yah, you wouldn't believe how many people come to me and complain that this is a run down ghost town of a hotel, and that it certainly isn't like the brochures purport it to be. I've complained to the management that they shouldn't be misrepresenting this place like that because it causes bad feelings from all of the guests towards the residents." ....... I called my travel agency, but the hassle and costs that would have resulted from moving to another hotel would have made the whole situation just that much worse. ....... The ONLY REDEMPTION that the Antilles At Sapphire Beach has is that the beach itself is beautiful and just outside of your patio door, other than that, I was robbed of $2000. for 5 nights at Frankenstein's House.

Room Tip: dont take any room at this place, or if you dare to, then bring your own sanitizing supplies
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed here in late May 2011 for a wedding. Our accommodations were a recently remodeled efficiency unit with a king size bed, dining area, modern kitchen with granite countertops and full appliances (no dishwasher), living room, large deck and large bathroom with a double vanity. Also plenty of closet space. We looked out our deck right onto the beach and cove area. The weather was perfect - an occasional storm passing by but not lasting long and the sun was out shortly after. Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking all are offered here. We took a side trip kayaking and snorkeling but were just as happy doing the same at our beautiful beach. You can order sandwiches and drinks while basking in the sun on the beach and the pool area is gorgeous. The only drawback is there is no restaurant or convenience store. You have to travel a mile into Red Hook but there are plenty of very nice eating establishments and a supermarket there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Sapphire Beach was exactly the island vacation I had pictured in my mind. The beach and the water were indescribably beautiful! We rented through VRBO and I believe we stayed in 304 (Villa Bonne Vie), the same condo mentioned in one of the other reviews. Very nice owner, and Sam, the property manager was extremely helpful. However, I did hear bad things about Antilles. Our owner was not a member of the hotel group. Our condo was clean, but we had been promised a cleaning mid-week which did not happen. That's the only reason I gave it a 4 for cleanliness. The condos are older, but that didn't bother me. Ours had had the bathrooms newly renovated and I understand she has done the kitchen this year. The kitchen is very small, but we didn't do any real cooking so it was not a problem. There were appliances--microwave, toaster oven and blender. Groceries are very expensive there. We ate 2 meals a day in the condo and one meal out each day. The bedroom upstairs had a new king-sized mattress which I assume was very good. There was a fold out couch in that room. My daughter and her family slept in that room and I had the fold out couch in the living room. I'm a grandma and wasn't sure how comfortable that might be, but it was fine. The pool was magnificent! Extremely clean and beautiful. Another review from 2009 complained about the pool being cracked and rusty-looking, but they must have redone it because when we were there in 2010 I was very impressed with the pool. The pool bar is still closed, but that was not a problem for us. We had food and drinks from the little beach take-out place and it was very good. Both the hamburgers and mixed drinks were excellent. We enjoyed eating at the East End Cafe and Big Bambooz in Red Hook. We rented a car. Budget had lost our reservation, so Sam arranged a rental car for us, very reasonable, and it was a big Jeep--perfect! I don't think Sam is associated with Antilles at all, but manages some of the individual units. We took the car ferry to St. John and spent a whole day there. The weather was great for us. A tropical storm had just passed through the previous week, but it cleared up just as we came in. I would have liked to stay another week--or month. I would definitely go back to Sapphire Beach and I would stay in the same condo as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Having had a couple of great vacations in ‘condotels’ in Anguilla & Turks & Caicos the last couple of years – thank you Shoal Bay Villas on Grace Bay last year! – was hoping for similar experience this year.

Having seen such rave reviews of the resort I booked.
Later I hit on the contrasting “beware” reviews and took a closer look.

Reality is that if you book through Antilles/HotelPlus website and not through an independent owner expect major disappointment. Antilles book an unknown percentage of the condos in the Resort/Crystal Cove complex. Their excuse re the lousy reports is that they’re all individually owned – and they clearly take no responsibility for the bad conditions. They refuse to tell you which condo you’re getting until you check in and then it’s too late! Could have a really good one - or more likely a major disappointment.

On arrival expect to be unimpressed by the shabby grounds and exterior and the “junior “ receptionist inside the concrete reception ‘bunker.’He refuses eye contact, often ignores questions altogether and – I noted on several occasions – avoided giving his name. (Didn’t your mother ever teach you manners young man?!)
I know about many other people’s bad experiences as, if you want the Wi-Fi, you have to boot up your laptop and allow them to put the code in! Then you have to sit in one small area of the reception where there is a signal – bring bug spray as you will get eaten by the no-see-ums !
Blown light bulbs, non-functional safe and generally worn furnishings throughout my rental.New mattress – thank God no bed bugs.

The beach really is very good, never crowded and had plenty of shade under bushes and trees on the water line.
Beach staff were very pleasant and made sure it was clean every morning.
Many I spoke to were delighted with their clean, modern, well equipped condos– but none had booked through Antilles. All seemed to know ‘the deal.’

I would like to think that there should be some standard which owners need to maintain for Antilles to agree to manage them.
But then Antilles would probably go out of business.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Sapphire Beach looks just like the beach in the corona commercial - it is gorgeous. The condominiums are older but very nice (ours had been nicely renovated). We were there for our daughter's wedding with a party of 35 and the staff gave perfect attention to our needs.
Yes the condos aren't new, but the staff took care of anything and everything that we needed their help for and with a smile. Staying in a condo is not for those who wish to be pampered, but for those who would like a nice comfortable place to stay at the best beach on St Thomas, this is the place. There is the added bonus of incredible snorkelling right out from the beach, why else would the cruise ships bring passengers here. The pool bar is still closed, but we figured that saved us a huge bar bill and we bought plenty of supplies at the Super K-Mart. You can take your laptop to the lobby to use the free internet or pay to have access in the condo.
Red Hook is close by and the many young people with us enjoyed the night life there. The Resort will shuttle you over or you can catch a cab. Two great restaurants in Red Hook are the East End Cafe and Molly Malones. The little cabana type hamburger stand set up between building B & C was very good. We split a hamburger one day and enjoyed many of their blender drinks during our stay.
I recommend booking a beach front place if you can - it is so nice just to be able to walk straight out on the beach.
The wedding was perfect through Colleen with Simple Island Weddings and the resort is a place that I can't wait to go back to.

• Stayed April 2010
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

We just stayed at this hotel and overall enjoyed it a lot. The beach is one of the most beautiful around. St. John is so close it looks like you could swim there (of course you can't). The ferries are about 5 minutes away (in Red Hook) and you can go to St. John for about $5. The resort only has one restaurant which has what I would call bar food-it's okay, but the restaurant is for sale so there are some problems there and the service can be a bit slow. You pretty much need to go to Red Hook to eat and it's kind of expensive, but good food. If you climb to the top of the hill at the resort (more like Mt.) you can catch a safari ride that comes by about every 10 minutes and it only costs $1 or $2 depending on where you're going. It goes one way in a circle so if you want to go to Red Hook and then come back you'll probably want to take a cab back (unless you want to go for a really long ride). The taxis are much like the safari ride, but they cost way more and don't have locals on them. I enjoyed taking the safari ride, but if that's not for you you'd probably be best off getting a rental car. AVOID BUDGET RENTAL through the resort though. The lady there is beyond rude!!! We were going to get a rental car but she was so rude we decided not to bother. If you stay on the safari ride past red hook you can go to a shopping area with a K-Mart and some stores/restaurants. If you go past that you can go all the way downtown to shop.

As far as the resort is concerned, if you're expecting something ritzy you will be very disappointed. The bar at the pool is boarded up and like I said there is only one restaurant there that is so so. The pool, however, is nice and like I said the beach is awesome. You can go snorkeling right off the beach and it's very good. We liked our room a lot. It was spacious and clean. The bathroom could use remodeling, but overall we liked it a lot. We were on the first floor so you could walk right out to the beach. The one major complaint that I have about the resort is the people who serve the continental breakfeast. They must be related to the Budget Rental lady because they are really evil! You can only have 3 items and one drink and they yell at you if you take more. If you take an extra jelly they glare at you. When we said good morning they didn't even respond. It was unbelievable. I complained to their manager a couple days before we left and they seemed to be better so hopefully things have improved there. Despite these mean ladies, I would stay at this hotel again mostly because of the beautiful beach, good snorkeing, and spacious room. We had a bedroom area, dining area, kitchen area, and living area, plus of course the bathroom. It's all about expectations and if yours are really high you'll be disappointed. I had read some bad reviews and was really nervous about the resort, but I ended up really liking it. If you go to St. Thomas definitely take a day trip over to St. John and visit the beautiful beaches. You can take a rental car over for about $49 and drive the entire Island in a day. It's gorgeous. We also took a trip to Tortola, Virgin Gorda, and Jost VAn Dyke which was a lot of fun.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Antilles At Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!