“Hats off to those who went here despite negative reviews!” 4 of 5 stars

100 Frenchman's Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
atlanta
“Hats off to those who went here despite negative reviews!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

09/05/07- 09/08/07 I have no clue where the negative reviews come from. Check in was simple and the staff on duty very pleasant and very helpful check out was the same. All of the resort staff I came in contact with, were great and very helpful. Stan and DeAnn the batenders were awsome! Yes they have wild cats no they are not a problem. For those that have seen the larger iguannas on the beach picture them all over the resort, they run like hell when the cats are around. I had a studio plus room clean- no bed bugs- COLD air and awsome view of the beach. Taxi's are not a problem if your not afraid to talk to the taxi drivers I never paid more than 5 or 6 bucks one way except for Mr. Nice Guy -taxi and I'm afraid I have to agree with those that bitched and moaned about him. He has the persoanlity of bucket sand and will, try to get over on adding more to bill. The people I met that were also staying there all said the same thing. We came to the agreement that those that did not like their stay here, must have some unrealistic since of entitlement. One of the couples air conditioning went out and staff not only gave them another room they sent someone to move their belongings, promptly. I will be going again and it's remote but still close to not only Charlotte but also Redhook. A couple of the staff also worked or have worked for a close by seafood restraunt called Mim's Seafood Bistro, The coconut curry lobster and steamed shrimp are awsome and Thursday night it's all you can eat steamed shrimp! Their beach is nice however for real snorkling explore the other beaches on St. THomas this beach is just good for swimming and finding a nice seashell or two but there wont be any locals or tourist from neighboring resorts hogging the the space. If your looking for a place with staff to bend over backwards or treat you like loyality until you go back to your 9-5 job, check on e-bay for a magic wand. If you want a place that is a hidden paradise and the staff treat you with respect, try Bluebeard's- it's worth the trip!

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

The resort was secluded and private but close to town and other beaches. The beach there is very nice and private, the pool is small but the bartenders are great! We met some really great fun couples and had a great time. This was one of the few vacations we have taken that we felt really relaxed when we went home. This resort is great for couples but not much to do for young kids. The only thing I would improve on is the street sign needs to be lighted because it is hard to find after dark.

Stayed August 2007
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I spend a week every year at BlueBeards Beach Club in St. Thomas. I love this resort. I have been here many times and have always had a wonderful experience. The only thing I would change is to have some bands or entertainment at night when the rest of the Island closes down. The way the roads are twisty and turny its not safe to go out partying and then have to drive back home (resort) I have to tell you ST Thomas is one of my favorite Islands and resorts. I love being part of the Cat Cafe support. I was down in June on a cruise ship and I still stopped at the resort to take a bag of Cat food to the Cat Cafe @ Blue Beards Beach club. I will continue to support this group. Great way to take care of your own.

WmBreeze

Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

Our stay was a honeymoon present from my Uncle. Check in took what seemed like forever, phone to desk was always busy. We were eaten alive while we slept. A/C in living room could not be adjusted. Overrun with wild cats. Food was fast and at times very good. Bartender was the one bright spot. Rent a car taxi's charge an arm and a leg. Check out was a nightmare only one clerk on duty and she was so slow it hurt.

• Liked — Size
  • Disliked — No front desk help, phone was always busy, desk staff was SLOW and rude.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chalfont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

We stayed here the week of July 28 th thru August 4th in a studio plus in unit D. the room was clean and had a nice view of the ocean and beach. This was our first time at this resort. We are members of the Wyndham timeshare and this is one of the ones we have to choose from. We had read mixed reviews before our arrival. We had stayed at the Elysian Beach resort in February 06 which is about 6 miles away and one of our grandaughters(age 7) had such a good time she asked my wife if we coukd go back . There was no availibility there for the weeeks that we could go therefore we chose Bluebeards. One of the advantages at Bluebeards was that it was not as far from the pool or the beach from our room. We had a long hilly walk at Elysian. Also at Elysian there were quite a few iguanas on the property especially around the pool. At Bluebeards their were cats and I don't think that the two of them get along with each other. I am not sure what caused it but it was not crowded at the resort, maybe off season or the heat because our grandaughter had trouble finding someone to play with. We found out that in St. Thomas if there is a beach obstructed by a resort, it can be used by anyone. There was a restaurant on the premises which served two meals a day breakfast and dinner, lunch was available thru the pool bar.The food was pretty good and a little on the pricey side. We had a little trouble with insects after 6 pm wherever we went. It could be a seasonal thing because we didn't have that trouble in February.Air circulation was a problem at the restaurant here, they could have used some ceiling fans..We heard that Wyndaham recently acquired this location and wants to make improvements but is having troulble with some of the long time owners. We had rented a car at the airport so wew wen't stuck at the resort.We were able to go to the grocery store because the room had a kitchen. Had our breakfast in room most days (cereal) One morning we went to breakfast at restauarant on propery (okay) and anothe day at Blue Moon Cafe (delicious) We were able to go other places for dinner. One night we went to Iggies at Bolongo Bay for sandwiches which were pretty good another day we had lunch at Gladys cafe in town,good, Senor Pizza in Red hook one night , good., Molly Malones in Red Hook for sandwiches which we took back to Bluebeards, good.and one night at Robert's at Elysian Reort was great. The she crab soup is excellent , the service is good and one night at Wendys. You must remember that service is a little slower here on the island but you are on vacation so what is the hurry. Food is also priced a little higher here so bring some extra money with you, it is a vacation for everybody. Sure you can eat in your room, they have limited kitchen facilities but the cook in your family deserves a rest also. All in all we had a good time bbut I would recommend going November to April and make sure you rent a car at the airport upon arrival. You have to drive on the opposite side of the road but you get used to it . Drive slower because the island is hilly. You'll be happy that you did spend the extra money because taxis are expensive.

Bill of Chalfont

• Liked — close proximity to pool and beach
  • Disliked — lack of playmates for grandaughter, ants by pool and biting sandfleas
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

I was leary about Bluebeard's after reading some of the reviews. I guess it depends on your situation, but I will say that this was the very best vacation I have ever had. This is NOT a 5 star facility, so if that is what you are looking for then don't book. I read about the difficulties and the ownership changes. As another member said, Wyndham recently acquired the property and they are doing upgrades and repairs.

Our sink in the bathroom leaked around the faucet, but I took it in stride and just put a towel down. We were not planning to spend our days in the room anyhow so it was more than sufficient for us. We had a newer A/C unit so the room stayed nice and cool, but our friends had an older unit and it was not as great and made some noise. Watch the fridge because once it is cooled off, you can freeze things in there. I would keep it around 2, 3 max. The freezer actually froze a bottle of rum!
The shower water pressure is very low, the only real drawback I had there.

The studio was plenty roomy and we stayed in the captain cabin bldg C which had a beautiful view, which I was surprised with when I awoke the next morning, after arriving late at night due to flight issues. Summer travel is not recommended as it was hot and humid and being close to the equator, you better bring something more than 30 spf.

We used the BBQ on the grounds two nights of the 8 we stayed. The hammocks are great to relax in. The pool bar was awesome like everyone said and we had Stan the bartender who was fantastic and very friendly.

Just as everyone has said the front desk isnt the most cordial and yes laundry is $2.50 for wash and $2.50 to dry but our stuff dried with one token. The laundry soap is also $2.50 for one load. I didnt expect bargain rates for laundry so I wasnt bothered, but you do need to take the trek up the hill to the front desk before going to the laundry. The office is way up on the hill so it is a bit of a trip up some stairs.

I thought the restaurant food was good, especially the mahi quesadilla and mahi sandwich. We went to the store for food but a few warnings....rum is cheaper than soda or beer! The milk is extremely expensive, especially if you buy the right kind. Watch because one is "recombined" which means dry milk recombined with water. The other is I think MacArthur brand and that is shipped in. There are no cattle there so no dairy milk available. Generally, we ate out other places. Iggies on Wed is carnival night and lots of fun. Greenhouse has good food too.

Taxis are usually $12 per person no matter where you are going. Often they charge a baggage charge of $2-$4 each.

As far as attitude.....it isnt just the resort. Many of the islanders are not super friendly. We ran into a good mix of both. Generally we had good luck with friendly people. TIP*** We found out something that I believe does make a big difference too. You need to start off greeting everyone with Good Morning, Good Afternoon or Good Evening before anything else. A friendly hello doesn't do as well. This is an island cultural thing that will help you to be received much better by the person you talk to.

This place isnt perfect....but we did not intend to stay only at the resort. We were out most of the time having fun and experiencing the island, which is what we went to do.

If you drive, which we did so it saved us hassle and money, it is a left hand drive car, but you drive on the left side. The streets are not marked, most of the time, which makes it hard to find where you are and where you need to be. I think that is for the taxi drivers' benefit. All the cars there are dented so that tells you something. We had no problems, fortunately. There are few 2 lane roads, mostly one in each direction. Just be careful as you can turn left on a red light, but not right and some streets can be a bit confusing.

The cheapest rum tends to be at Kmart, yes Kmart! The local rum, Cruzan, is anywhere from $4-$10 a litre depending on what kind. They have many flavored rums too. We werent sure how to bring it back so we didnt. But I found the stores box them for you and you can check it like baggage at the airport.

I recommend booking an all day snorkel with New Horizons on their sail boat. It was from 7-4 closer to 8 after they got ready to go, but the food and all drinks were FREE. The snorkleing was fun and we had a great time. It was only $55 per person with a special. The all day with Breakaway that goes to the BVI I think was a waste of time. Only about 40 min of snorkeling and it cost more and your lunch isnt paid for, just drinks.

If you go with the idea in mind that this is not top of the line, but it is a nice room to stay in, and relax in some of the time, you shouldn't be disappointed. I did not use the front desk much as they aren't much help. We researched a lot before we went to know what to expect. Some rooms may have glitches that they are working out but over all we were completely satisfied and would love to return. It was a very relaxing vacation. By the way they are on "Island Time" there which means if you are in a hurry, FORGET ABOUT IT. So go there with no huge itinerary or time to complete it. Leave the city life behind and dont wait til you are starving to eat. Just relax mon!

• Liked — The close location to the beach. You can walk right down to it.
  • Disliked — The stairs to get to the rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

My wife and i just returned from a weeks stay at this resort. We would have never booked it ourselves, but faced with the prospect of losing a banked Marriot timeshare week with interval, we took a chance. The trip advisor reviews are all over the map on this 41 year old timeshare, and i have no doubt that the writers were sincere in appraising both the good and bad points of the place. Since our expectations were low, we were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the place, and the location. The beach is somewhat rocky on the bottom but the water is fine. The pool was great but we seldom used it. The management of this resort is by Fairfield using the Wyndham name. The location is 5 stars - the staff is 2 stars - and the facilities rate 2 stars. Let’s start with the location. The new Marriot facility is just up the beach - you cannot get a nicer location! All of the rooms have direct views of the ocean. The staff is small and somewhat indifferent - not surly - just indifferent and not really willing to go the second mile for you. This is a real negative and probably accounts for the bad resort reviews. Wyndham/Fairfield is struggling with the four (4) homeowners associations and has great plans for the place but nothing concrete. They are trying to sell timeshares based on their interests at other St. Thomas resorts, but I would resist their overtures. The beach is right out the front door which for us was a big plus. Compared to Magen’s & Trunk beach on St. Johns, this beach suffers. Realistically it is better than 90% of the beaches in the continental U. S. and Mexico. In short if you want a nice place that is clean & quiet and has a good beach front, this is a good deal. If you are looking to be pampered and place a great deal of value on amenities and great customer service - stay away!

As an aside - Mr. Nice Guy taxi service is really good! Give him a try!

Stayed August 2007

Been to Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas? Share your experiences!