“Loved St. Thomas and the Ritz” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Arlington, VA
“Loved St. Thomas and the Ritz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz for a little over a week for our honeymoon. The hotel was great, the beaches and pools were awesome, and the activities were great. The food is high priced, but was good and so were the smoothies. The rooms were comfortable with great views and overall we just had an amazing time. It's been six months since we were there and I am still thinking about how great it was. Would recommend the Ritz to anyone who is considering.

• Liked — The pools, beach, and activities available
  • Disliked — Food was expensive, but I expected that
  • Tips/Secrets — Forget the cost, and enjoy...you are staying at the Ritz
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

We loved the Ritz in St. Thomas and are going again this Nov 2006. The rooms and pools are gorgeous! The food is on the expensive side but tasty ..and hello!...it's the ritz do people expect low prices!? Mango chicken salad was so good I ate it every day. The staff are friendly although tend to get things done with typical island slowness. I think that fact is behind many of the negative comments. We never had a problem at the Ritz. The slowness of service and sometimes negative attittude of the islanders (NOT at the Ritz mind you) can get on the nerves of type A or B s or whatever. Many islanders do seem to resent wealthy travelers from the mainland. If you show any irritation it will go even slooooower..so be positive. ;) or else you'll wait and wait!
We will be returning to St. Thomas often because we love the Ritz and the view...perfect for families.

• Liked — Great view and lovely beach. Friendly staff
  • Disliked — attitude off site of islanders was often negative
  • Tips/Secrets — get out of van and watch your bags each time someone is unloaded or gets off. A fellow traveler lost her computer off our van. Poor woman.
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Concord, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

went to the ritz st. thomas with my family last spring. We did stay in the time share condos which are different than the main hotel. The ritz carlton club condos are incredible. 3 bedroom, living room, kitchen, 2.5 baths and extremely well appointed - very kid friendly.

Overall this hotel is just great for kids, many pools, a variety of places to eat and the weather is of course wonderful.

enjoy

Stayed March 2006
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton shortly before it closed for renovations. It certainly needs renovating. The room was excellent but the bathtub was badly chipped. The pool and beach area are superb-lots of beds with good cushions and li-lo's in the pool. You do need to rent a car so that you can go down to Red Hook to either eat out or buy food to bring back. Food and drink prices at the hotel are very expensive. I would recommend Iguana's at the pool for lunch. Internet access costs $10 for 10 minutes.The staff, particularly the concierge were extremely helpful. I strongly suggest renting a private catamaran through the hotel. This is expensive but really worth it as you can see some of the other islands and they personalize an itinerary just for you We used VIBE charters owned by Jordan. He was fantastic. You can Google them to access their excellent website for more info. Lunch at the Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyje is a must.

US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

My husband and I were married at the Ritz last year and I can honesly say I do not understand the negative comments posted. We both have traveled around the world and have been lucky enough to stay in the best hotels. We usually look for a Ritz because we love their hotels. Our experience at this hotel was as we expected. Everything was wonderful. Our wedding coodinator, Maria, was excellent as was our private gazebo wedding. Well, not so private as many guests watched from their balconies and applauded at the end. The food was very good in the Library restaurant as was our breakfast each morning. And as far as others complaing about being too far from everything that is not the case. There is a quaint little town down the road from the hotel and we tried a number of the local restaurants which were also very good. And the champagne cruise to St. John was fantastic. We had a wonderful crew and had such fun with the other guests. Our room was ocean view and very nice and clean and actually very pretty. Remember everyone, this is the Carribean, not Paris. Decor is diffenent and fitting to the environment. We rented a car and drove all over the island and to all the beaches and met so many nice people. One of the reasons for choosing the Ritz in St Thomas was that we knew there would not be a lot of children and we were correct. It was peaceful and quiet and romantic. We could have chosen anywhere in the world but are happy we chose the Ritz in St. Thomas.

• Liked — The view and the decor
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a car
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this property for 5 nights in Dec. Have stayed in many luxury hotels and this was the worst. Never stayed at a Ritz, but other guests said this was not "normal" for a Ritz. Rooms are big and nicely appointed. Shower was a tub combo, but marble tiles were coming off. Walls are very thin and we were awoken very early one morning to room attendants laughing and talking very loud outside our room. When a toilet flushed in other rooms water pipes made loud noises through the walls. Thank goodness I had earplugs! Service very slow at restaurants & beach. Buffet just so-so for $25. The manager offered us 2 free nights at any Ritz, but getting the vouchers was a nightmare. Spent $60 in long distance calls to the hotel to get them mailed. It is a terribly run hotel. The time shares next door are much newer & nicer and the staff is supposedly better. Parts of St. Thomas are nice, but generally a very poor island.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz June 21st through the 28th, and I must tell you; I've been ready to book another trip back as soon as we returned home. The staff is wonderful, we were greeted warmly from the moment our taxi reached the property. I honestly cannot think of a time we did not encounter a kind Ritz employee, always receiving a warm "hello" or "good morning" and always a "my pleasure" whenever we had any request. The concierge sent up two large complimentary plates of fruit and cheeses, along with a bottle of their signature wine and a box of water crackers. A card also accompanied this surprise, welcoming us to the resort. The Ritz-Carlton is very thoughtful, that can't be denied.

The resort grounds are breathtaking, the gardens are phenomenal and the beach is well cared for. There are many steps on the property, which was great for us- we're young and love to exercise, but I can see it being a problem for the elderly. The Infinite pool, while often busy, was really pretty and a nice way to cool off mid-afternoon. The spa facility is very nice, my manicurist/pedicurist was wonderful. My nails looked great. The spa's gift shop has a great assortment of items, just as the gift shops in the main palazzo. The restaurants were all good, Coconut Cove was espcially great for breakfast- the omelettes were amazing. Unfortunately, the Great Bay Grill was under remodeling when we were there.

The room actually exceeded our expectations, it was beautiful. Marble floors, very pretty decor, mahogany furniture.. everything was in great condition. I was especially impressed by the bathroom's decor, it had great ambiance.. although I wish the tub had been a Jacuuzi. Oh well. The patio overlooking the bay offered phenomenal views. As a side note: request a featherbed and a lightweight down comforter.. I had such great sleep (even in the summer, the down wasn't too heavy- the air conditioning was on 66 every night!)

Overall, we had a fantastic trip and I would return in a heartbeat.

One last note; I was skeptical before arriving to the Ritz because of some of the bad reviews I read on here. I was pleasantly surprised to know that none of those bad reviews were true, we had a great experience. Just expect to pay a lot for the food and any gifts you may purchase at the resort- you ARE at a Ritz-Carlton. Anyone who complains about the prices (like the poster below) obviously should not have chosen to to go to a Ritz, where prices are known to be high. Also, construction was going on during our stay, but it never really disturbed us during our time there. They were working on the building to the far right, which was far away to not have an affect on us.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Long drive into town, we only went into Charlotte Amalie once because of the long drive.
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely choose this resort if you are considering going to USVI, or anywhere in the Caribbean, for that matter.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!