“wonderful for kids” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Concord, Massachusetts
“wonderful for kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

went to the ritz st. thomas with my family last spring. We did stay in the time share condos which are different than the main hotel. The ritz carlton club condos are incredible. 3 bedroom, living room, kitchen, 2.5 baths and extremely well appointed - very kid friendly.

Overall this hotel is just great for kids, many pools, a variety of places to eat and the weather is of course wonderful.

enjoy

Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton shortly before it closed for renovations. It certainly needs renovating. The room was excellent but the bathtub was badly chipped. The pool and beach area are superb-lots of beds with good cushions and li-lo's in the pool. You do need to rent a car so that you can go down to Red Hook to either eat out or buy food to bring back. Food and drink prices at the hotel are very expensive. I would recommend Iguana's at the pool for lunch. Internet access costs $10 for 10 minutes.The staff, particularly the concierge were extremely helpful. I strongly suggest renting a private catamaran through the hotel. This is expensive but really worth it as you can see some of the other islands and they personalize an itinerary just for you We used VIBE charters owned by Jordan. He was fantastic. You can Google them to access their excellent website for more info. Lunch at the Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyje is a must.

US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

My husband and I were married at the Ritz last year and I can honesly say I do not understand the negative comments posted. We both have traveled around the world and have been lucky enough to stay in the best hotels. We usually look for a Ritz because we love their hotels. Our experience at this hotel was as we expected. Everything was wonderful. Our wedding coodinator, Maria, was excellent as was our private gazebo wedding. Well, not so private as many guests watched from their balconies and applauded at the end. The food was very good in the Library restaurant as was our breakfast each morning. And as far as others complaing about being too far from everything that is not the case. There is a quaint little town down the road from the hotel and we tried a number of the local restaurants which were also very good. And the champagne cruise to St. John was fantastic. We had a wonderful crew and had such fun with the other guests. Our room was ocean view and very nice and clean and actually very pretty. Remember everyone, this is the Carribean, not Paris. Decor is diffenent and fitting to the environment. We rented a car and drove all over the island and to all the beaches and met so many nice people. One of the reasons for choosing the Ritz in St Thomas was that we knew there would not be a lot of children and we were correct. It was peaceful and quiet and romantic. We could have chosen anywhere in the world but are happy we chose the Ritz in St. Thomas.

• Liked — The view and the decor
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a car
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this property for 5 nights in Dec. Have stayed in many luxury hotels and this was the worst. Never stayed at a Ritz, but other guests said this was not "normal" for a Ritz. Rooms are big and nicely appointed. Shower was a tub combo, but marble tiles were coming off. Walls are very thin and we were awoken very early one morning to room attendants laughing and talking very loud outside our room. When a toilet flushed in other rooms water pipes made loud noises through the walls. Thank goodness I had earplugs! Service very slow at restaurants & beach. Buffet just so-so for $25. The manager offered us 2 free nights at any Ritz, but getting the vouchers was a nightmare. Spent $60 in long distance calls to the hotel to get them mailed. It is a terribly run hotel. The time shares next door are much newer & nicer and the staff is supposedly better. Parts of St. Thomas are nice, but generally a very poor island.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz June 21st through the 28th, and I must tell you; I've been ready to book another trip back as soon as we returned home. The staff is wonderful, we were greeted warmly from the moment our taxi reached the property. I honestly cannot think of a time we did not encounter a kind Ritz employee, always receiving a warm "hello" or "good morning" and always a "my pleasure" whenever we had any request. The concierge sent up two large complimentary plates of fruit and cheeses, along with a bottle of their signature wine and a box of water crackers. A card also accompanied this surprise, welcoming us to the resort. The Ritz-Carlton is very thoughtful, that can't be denied.

The resort grounds are breathtaking, the gardens are phenomenal and the beach is well cared for. There are many steps on the property, which was great for us- we're young and love to exercise, but I can see it being a problem for the elderly. The Infinite pool, while often busy, was really pretty and a nice way to cool off mid-afternoon. The spa facility is very nice, my manicurist/pedicurist was wonderful. My nails looked great. The spa's gift shop has a great assortment of items, just as the gift shops in the main palazzo. The restaurants were all good, Coconut Cove was espcially great for breakfast- the omelettes were amazing. Unfortunately, the Great Bay Grill was under remodeling when we were there.

The room actually exceeded our expectations, it was beautiful. Marble floors, very pretty decor, mahogany furniture.. everything was in great condition. I was especially impressed by the bathroom's decor, it had great ambiance.. although I wish the tub had been a Jacuuzi. Oh well. The patio overlooking the bay offered phenomenal views. As a side note: request a featherbed and a lightweight down comforter.. I had such great sleep (even in the summer, the down wasn't too heavy- the air conditioning was on 66 every night!)

Overall, we had a fantastic trip and I would return in a heartbeat.

One last note; I was skeptical before arriving to the Ritz because of some of the bad reviews I read on here. I was pleasantly surprised to know that none of those bad reviews were true, we had a great experience. Just expect to pay a lot for the food and any gifts you may purchase at the resort- you ARE at a Ritz-Carlton. Anyone who complains about the prices (like the poster below) obviously should not have chosen to to go to a Ritz, where prices are known to be high. Also, construction was going on during our stay, but it never really disturbed us during our time there. They were working on the building to the far right, which was far away to not have an affect on us.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Long drive into town, we only went into Charlotte Amalie once because of the long drive.
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely choose this resort if you are considering going to USVI, or anywhere in the Caribbean, for that matter.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

My Husband & I visited St. Thomas for a wedding. When we landed in St. Thomas everything was beautiful. When we got to the hotel, the rum punch was good. Check-in was great, the lady who checked us in was very nice & helpful. But after that, it was downhill from there. We checked in our room which was nice but not a lot of privacy for the bathroom. Okay not that bad......so as we waited for the wedding party we got something to eat...big mistake. Very expensive for 6 chicken wings ($18.00) & we are not going to talk about the drinks. So as the evening winded down we found ourselves a little bored, there was nothing to do no nightclubs, no bar not anything. We did however go into town to a restaurant that wasn't all that good. The cab rides are very expensive. the people of St. Thomas are not that friendly or helpful. Very rude at the airport. The only really nice thing was the wedding. My husband & I and alot of people we traveld with were very disappointed with St.Thomas & would not visit again.

• Stayed May 2006
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed at the hotel from July 1st till the 4th. I did know the Hotel was under some construction. They actually called to tell me to make sure it was going to be okay during our stay. I must admit I was nervous.....after much consideration we decided to stay there even with the construction.
In usual Ritz Carlton style....it was not a problem. The Hotel is still beautiful..... the renovations will only make it better! We've stayed there since the early 90's when the Hotel opened and it is still as great as when it first opened.

You would have to ago a long way to get a better view as you are checking in at the main desk!

• Stayed July 2006

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!